RuneQuest 2 reprint

Missiletoebass

7 hours ago, jux said:

Seems like with this KS, Chaosium will have their hands full for the whole year.

Remember that these are REPRINTS of already-complete projects.  Scanning & OCRing, fixing typo's & OCRo's (is there a correct word for that???  if there wasn't, there is now!), doing layout in modern programs, etc.  But none of the usual 3rd-party sources of delay -- waiting for drafts to complete, waiting for art, etc -- that are largely outside publisher control.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, jux said:

I would assume there is still quite a lot of work to bring things to modern standards. But it is good, that there will be new projects in the pipeline as well.

Fortunately, a lot of work on many of the books has already been done. The RQ rulebooks is done and at the printers, as are the handouts, and GM screen. Fangs is all scanned in and will be PDF only. The bigger books: Cults of Prax, Cults of Terror, Plunder, Runemasters, Griffin Mountain, Pavis, Big Rubble and Borderlands, have already been scanned in, OCRd and largely cleaned up. TrollPak is partially scanned in. Most of the artwork from all of the above has already been scanned in as separate pieces, and cleaned up. That still leaves final proofreading and layout, which is no small task, but in some respects this project is fairly well underway.

Chaosium has a great deal of product underway for Call of Cthulhu, HeroQuest, BRP Essentials, and the new RuneQuest.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 12/24/2015 at 6:09 PM, Rick Meints said:

Writers are welcome to contact us with their submission ideas. In order of need, we are looking for Call of Cthulhu scenarios the most. 

I read that to mean "the only stuff Chaosium is actually looking for is CoC scenarios, but we'll at least glance over other stuff to see if something catches our interest."

To pull this thread back on-topic(ish)... what about new content (scenarios, whatever) for the RQClassic that was so successfully kickstarted?  Sure, some of those folk are just getting the stuff for collectorism...  But if even half of 'em are planning to play it, and were willing to pay $5 each, that'd make a decent incentive to make an adventure or even a small sequence... yes? 

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

I read that to mean "the only stuff Chaosium is actually looking for is CoC scenarios, but we'll at least glance over other stuff to see if something catches our interest."

To pull this thread back on-topic(ish)... what about new content (scenarios, whatever) for the RQClassic that was so successfully kickstarted?  Sure, some of those folk are just getting the stuff for collectorism...  But if even half of 'em are planning to play it, and were willing to pay $5 each, that'd make a decent incentive to make an adventure or even a small sequence... yes? 

We have no plans to publish new scenarios for RuneQuest 2nd Edition (RQ Classic Edition). However, the new Glorantha-based edition of RuneQuest is currently in development, and that edition will require new scenarios.

• Like 2

I backed the RuneQuest Classic edition kickstarter out of nostalgia and I thought that it may also be a quick source of income for Chaosium. Despite such, I would like to see any new Gloranthan scenarios and setting books to be made for the upcoming RuneQuest Glorantha rules, otherwise there would be little point even publishing a new set of rules.

It may make sense if the new RQ stat block is at least 90% - 95% compatible with the RQ Classic stat block, allowing those who want to keep using the RQ Classic rules to play any new material.

However, having said this, I guess all BRP stat blocks are generally at least 80% compatible anyway. I used to easily re-trap Elric/Stormbringer scenarios for RQ and so forth, and I tend to do this with the current licensee products as well.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Our design goal is to be able to take the RQ Classic adventures and use them with you RQ4 characters with fairly minimal work on the part of the GM - even if the RQ4 characters use different operating mechanics, the RQ Classic stat blocks should be 90%-95% compatible and much more compatible than with RQ6.

• Like 11

It might be a good idea to commission (or start) a couple of RQ scenarios when the re-design of the rules comes into the tuning phase, so that ideally there could be a custom-built scenario or two available when the system hits the market, and a few more for initial support. Maybe through magazines or similar outlets.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

even if the RQ4 characters use different operating mechanics, the RQ Classic stat blocks should be 90%-95% compatible and much more compatible than with RQ6.

Jeff you just made my day. This is very important to me.

Obviously what you say of RQ2-RQ7 ...ehr RQ4 applies also to the RQ3 stat block. The relatively important differences in the stat block viz previous editions is one of the few things I did not like of RQ6. For instance, at a given moment I wanted to use the RQ3 Dorastor book with RQ6 - it's full of beasties and each requires detailed conversion. Yes, there is the wonderful online RQ6 generator but it's not like picking up a book and just use it. You could do it between RQ2 and RQ3 and I'd be delighted to find that you can do it also with RQ7 ...erh RQ4...

Obviously the magic will be different to better reflect Glorantha, but there are many things, such as the damage of weapons, the damage bonus progression, the number of hit points per location etc. that now do not have much reason to be slightly different as they were in the Mongoose RQ lineage.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

Jeff you just made my day. This is very important to me.

Obviously what you say of RQ2-RQ7 ...ehr RQ4 applies also to the RQ3 stat block. The relatively important differences in the stat block viz previous editions is one of the few things I did not like of RQ6. For instance, at a given moment I wanted to use the RQ3 Dorastor book with RQ6 - it's full of beasties and each requires detailed conversion. Yes, there is the wonderful online RQ6 generator but it's not like picking up a book and just use it. You could do it between RQ2 and RQ3 and I'd be delighted to find that you can do it also with RQ7 ...erh RQ4...

Obviously the magic will be different to better reflect Glorantha, but there are many things, such as the damage of weapons, the damage bonus progression, the number of hit points per location etc. that now do not have much reason to be slightly different as they were in the Mongoose RQ lineage.   

I totally agree. The goal is to be able to take something like Dorastor or Snake Pipe Hollow and use it for RQ4 with minimum work - I've been using Dorastor's Riskland campaign for playtesting RQ4 for what it is worth. We will be keepings things like hit points per location, damage bonus progression, weapons damage, etc the same as in RQ2/3. The only dilemma comes with AP (since RQ2 and RQ3 differed on AP and ENC) - and here we are inclined to hew towards RQ2 (for reasons too lengthy to go into here). 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, MOB said:

We have no plans to publish new scenarios for RuneQuest 2nd Edition (RQ Classic Edition). However, the new Glorantha-based edition of RuneQuest is currently in development, and that edition will require new scenarios.

Hope there will also be short / basic scenarios along the likes of Snake Pipe Hollow for new comers to prove that you don't need in-depth Gloranthan knowledge and still get hooked.

• Like 2

MRQ2 and RQ6 have brought many innovations in BRP to my gaming table, and I'm a big fan. I'll keep playing RQ6 for some time I expect.

However as much I love the RQ6 mechanics, I also would have preferred to have less conversion with my old RQ2 and RQ3 resources. I'm pretty happy that the new RQ will have be able to use the back catalog of RQ2 (and probably RQ3 as well by the sounds of it). That was my biggest gripe with the MRQ SRD in the fact that it was a little cumbersome to convert old scenarios on the fly - not that it was actually hard to do, but it was a little cumbersome at times.

Back compatibility is one of the things that has made Call Of Cthulhu so great over the years, the fact you can run a CoC 6E game using Masks Of Nylarthotep from the 1980s - not sure if the changes in CoC 7E have been so great in this respect. 

I'm very happy that back compatibility is being considered with RuneQuest Glorantha*, this is quite a good move I think.

* (I can't call it RQ4, its too disrespectful to the DM, I'll have to call it RQG or just the new RQ). 

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

44 minutes ago, jongjom said:

Hope there will also be short / basic scenarios along the likes of Snake Pipe Hollow for new comers to prove that you don't need in-depth Gloranthan knowledge and still get hooked.

For sure! Have you seen the excellent introductory scenario for the new edition of Call of Cthulhu? It's a solo adventure called "Alone Against the Flames", and takes the reader through generating a character and puts the rules through their paces (available free for download at chaosium.com). Something like that would be excellent for the new RQ edition, and we have it in mind...

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Back compatibility is one of the things that has made Call Of Cthulhu so great over the years, the fact you can run a CoC 6E game using Masks Of Nylarthotep from the 1980s - not sure if the changes in CoC 7E have been so great in this respect. 

I'm very happy that back compatibility is being considered with RuneQuest Glorantha*, this is quite a good move I think.

Although the new edition of RuneQuest introduces some exciting and long-anticipated innovations (the hint is in the name), it will be possible to play anything and everything from the entire RQ2-3 oeuvre with a minimum of tweaking. BTW, CoC7 is very backwards compatible as well...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MOB said:

Although the new edition of RuneQuest introduces some exciting and long-anticipated innovations (the hint is in the name), it will be possible to play anything and everything from the entire RQ2-3 oeuvre with a minimum of tweaking. BTW, CoC7 is very backwards compatible as well...

With CoC 7E I was mainly just referring to the Characteristics being expressed as a %, which is at odds with every stat block in BRP, although easy enough to translate however.

Very happy to hear about the back compatibility with RQ2 and RQ3 :)

On 28/12/2015 at 10:22 AM, Jeff said:

I've been using Dorastor's Riskland campaign for playtesting RQ4 for what it is worth. 

Things mentioned about the development of RQ4: Pendragon's character generation and winter phase - the RQ Vikings campaign with the various families and steads -  the Riskland campaign with the River of Frogs steads... Do I see a pattern here? :)

On 28/12/2015 at 10:22 AM, Jeff said:

The only dilemma comes with AP (since RQ2 and RQ3 differed on AP and ENC) - and here we are inclined to hew towards RQ2 (for reasons too lengthy to go into here). 

Well, one reason to lean towards RQ2 I can see is that soon there will be a ton of material back in print. But I'm sure it's not the only one.

On 28/12/2015 at 11:55 AM, MOB said:

For sure! Have you seen the excellent introductory scenario for the new edition of Call of Cthulhu? It's a solo adventure called "Alone Against the Flames", and takes the reader through generating a character and puts the rules through their paces (available free for download at chaosium.com). Something like that would be excellent for the new RQ edition, and we have it in mind...

"Alone against the flames" is a very good introductory scenario. It almost managed to convince me that CoC7 is basically still CoC and not an unholy abomination.

I'd be delighted  to see a new RQ solo!

• Like 2

On December 28, 2015 at 2:51 AM, Joerg said:

It might be a good idea to commission (or start) a couple of RQ scenarios when the re-design of the rules comes into the tuning phase, so that ideally there could be a custom-built scenario or two available when the system hits the market, and a few more for initial support. Maybe through magazines or similar outlets.

I don't know, what do you think, Jeff?

On 12/30/2015 at 0:58 PM, smiorgan said:

"Alone against the flames" is a very good introductory scenario. It almost managed to convince me that CoC7 is basically still CoC and not an unholy abomination.

Ummm... correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but isn't "unholy abomination" sort of the starting-point for CoC?  "It ain't CoC unless it's an unholy abomination... or something even worse..."

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...