A Question About Heortling Steads

SNaomiScott

• 1 year later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:32 PM, Jeff said:

But the Icelandic longhouse is built to reflect the resources and conditions of Iceland, and a tradition of housebuilding style from Scandinavia and Northern Europe.

It really doesn't make any sense for Dragon Pass, with its traditions coming from the Holy Country and Peloria.

Could they make some sense in Fronela? 

I'm trying to find something to make farmsteads around Riverjoin and I love the square houses but I can't help seeing the courtyards full of snow in winter, with Valind's glacier so close. Maybe the cellars can be used to store/extract snow somehow? 

I was thinking maybe something like an oppidum for a main village, where the most influential members of the farmer's guild live (orlanthi in Riverjoin are organized in guilds) and then scattered farmsteads and sepherd's huts in its surroundings with some other villages next to the Janube and Eliari rivers.

I'm also thinking about how to make Agnost and Hingol, which are noyaling settlements. I'm thinking round Keltenschanzen villages with round houses for the noyaling and square Keltenschanzen for the oppidum and villages close to Riverjoin with longhouses and square houses (maybe a house like a square air rune?)

what do you think?  Makes any sense?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sufiazafran said:

I'm thinking round Keltenschanzen villages with round houses for the noyaling

Round because I want to make the Noyalings a hsunchen tribe with such strong bonds to the glacier gods that they don't remember their hsunchen roots, so they don't have any earth relations and tend not to build square buildings. 

Longhouses: Really are a central European thing that slowly expanded into northern Europe, and then saw a modification in building material on Iceland. They are about as much a "Viking" thing as are battle axes - Vikings are on record using both, after a history of three to four millennia of them having been in use in central Europe.

1 hour ago, sufiazafran said:

I'm trying to find something to make farmsteads around Riverjoin and I love the square houses but I can't help seeing the courtyards full of snow in winter, with Valind's glacier so close. Maybe the cellars can be used to store/extract snow somehow? 

You can of course create an ice cave, which may aid your storage capacity a lot. You had better think of a drainage system, though, as sooner or later the snow is going to melt.

A variant of the square house is the three-sided stead, with a long house in the back and two longish halls on either side of the central yard. Connect the houses with a palisade, have a main gate opposite of the long house, and you have your earth rune longhouse stead.

1 hour ago, sufiazafran said:

I was thinking maybe something like an oppidum for a main village, where the most influential members of the farmer's guild live (orlanthi in Riverjoin are organized in guilds) and then scattered farmsteads and sepherd's huts in its surroundings with some other villages next to the Janube and Eliari rivers.

I'm also thinking about how to make Agnost and Hingol, which are noyaling settlements. I'm thinking round Keltenschanzen villages with round houses for the noyaling and square Keltenschanzen for the oppidum and villages close to Riverjoin with longhouses and square houses (maybe a house like a square air rune?)

what do you think?  Makes any sense?

A farmer's guild? A guild is a clan by another name, applied to non-farming activities. But sure, use your nomenclature.

Riverjoin is a lunar city, with Dona river folk and some Orlanthi sharing the place. The Lunars arrived during the Third Wane, fleeing from Sheng Seleris, a bit over 300 years ago.

There was in all likelihood a market town here before the Lunars took over - a river junction is a logical place to transship goods.

You might take some inspiration from the Alaskan gold rush look and feel (minus the guns and the gold) for Fronela, at least in winter.

Round Keltenschanzen? Do you mean round earthworks a man or two high, possibly topped by palisades?

The square Keltenschanzen I have seen in the wild (in Bavaria) were rather tiny enclosures, maybe enough space for four long houses and some walking space. Nothing near an oppidum.

Of course, most oppida I know were built on natural rises, and were surrounded by Gallic Walls rather than mere earthwork (though those earthwork ramps did form the basis for the Gallic Wall at the rather atypical oppidum of Manching, which was situated on a river plain near the confluence of Isar and Danube).

Oppida may have developed from earlier Fürstensitze, likewise built on hilltops or even plateaus where available.

In case of Fronela, the question is who would have been the precursor civilizations that built these places? There isn't really a parallel for the Vingkotlings this far up the Janube. The Enjoreli bull people civilization was concentrated further west and south. The riverine Waertagi would have preferred to remain aboard their ships, but might have settled for housing directly on the river, perhapse in an Esgaroth way, or like crannogs. Brithini didn't stray this far upriver.

Riverjoin lies way too far west to have come under Carmanian influence, but God Learner Akem influence is likely for precursor towns and cities - after all, they had spread all the way to Eastpoint at some time.

The Bright Empire did rule all of these lands for about 75 years, and the Second Council probably as long before it became the Bright Empire, giving a fairly solid Theyalan basis, although with native converts rather than immigrants from Dragon Pass. Quite a few Hykimi beast totems got converted to Theyalan-style theism. But then, the bull people may already have had a precursor of that kind of magic when they first rode down the foothills of the Nidan range.

The Musk Ox folk may have used an architecture based on their temporary constructions when migrating alongside their totemic beasts. I only know these beasts from their artificial habitat on Dovrefjell in Norway.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, Joerg said:

Round Keltenschanzen? Do you mean round earthworks a man or two high, possibly topped by palisades?

Yes, maybe covered in ice or using snow as an additional obstacle. Or maybe ice palisades!

A guild is a clan by another name

Yes, that's what it says in Tales of the Reaching Moon 20. 

Oppida may have developed from earlier Fürstensitze,

What is exactly the difference between oppida and Fürstensitze? 

Edited by sufiazafran

4 hours ago, sufiazafran said:

Yes, maybe covered in ice or using snow as an additional obstacle. Or maybe ice palisades!

Invoking those Game of Thrones vibes?

Frost demons (hollri) might be one of the things you want to keep out, making ice a less than optimal material. OTOH, you use what you have - I have a project for an even icier setting in the freezer.

4 hours ago, sufiazafran said:

What is exactly the difference between oppida and Fürstensitze? 

Size and period, mainly. Fürstensitze are Hallstatt period hill forts, oppida are La Tène and Roman era urban centers. One could develop into the other.

Some of the larger oppida were outright cities, like Kelheim and Manching. Others have become the kernels of Provincial Roman cities.

11 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

The ancient tome "In Wintertop's Shadow" had unmelting ice....

Great, now the hollri are going to be summer-hard...

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, sufiazafran said:
On 4/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, Jeff said:

But the Icelandic longhouse is built to reflect the resources and conditions of Iceland, and a tradition of housebuilding style from Scandinavia and Northern Europe.

It really doesn't make any sense for Dragon Pass, with its traditions coming from the Holy Country and Peloria.

Could they make some sense in Fronela? 

Skulldixon posted this great YouTube film that features squareish/ovoid/and long houses in antiquity, on Discord...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk2Qbf1YQbI

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!