The Blind King's Palace

Darius West

What is known about this location?  I have been gathering what snippets I can. So far I have learned...

Back in the Second Age it was known as the Dragon Mount and has a Dragonewt EWF temple beneath it.  The Blind King was probably King Jhanas Kyree (second last king of the Arrowsmith Dynasty) who proclaimed that Jaldon Toothmaker was broken and no longer a threat to Pavis.  There is currently a castle, more or less intact atop the hill.  That castle is filled with Vampiric Beastfolk, likely to be victims/servants of Delecti including vampiric Ducks and a notoriously dangerous Vampiric Centaur.  One may only guess what their purpose in the Rubble is.  Rurik the Restless had an early gig holding other people's horses outside the place, where he met a baboon with a hankering for basashi http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/asia/japan/basashi-eating-raw-horse-meat/

Are there any maps of the place?  I have heard hints and rumors of a published scenario for RQ1.  What do ye honored daughters of Pavis and erudite Grey Sages of Mhy know of this matter?

• Like 2

I've dug up that at the end of the original campaign run by Warren James, the castle mysteriously rises up, splits in two and lies on its sides.

The Castle is constructed of a reddish stone found nowhere else in Pavis (and probably Prax)

There is an entrance to the Hero Plane somewhere near the Old Flintnail Fort (which is on Blind King's Hill) [Wyrm's Footnotes

• Like 2

On 24/9/2016 at 9:11 AM, David Scott said:

From a conversation with Jeff, the Blind King was Urvanyar, the palace was build for him for his 20 year residency (exile). 

Urvanyar? Who built the palace for him? What stopped the dragonewts to go there and kill him?

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

On 9/27/2016 at 8:56 PM, Runeblogger said:

Urvanyar?

The Fortunate Succession pages 33 & 37

Who built the palace for him?

Likely King Yaran but paid for from afar.

What stopped the dragonewts to go there and kill him?

Why would they do that, he was an exile in an EWF allied city. He left in 910.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 2 years later...
On 9/24/2016 at 2:24 PM, Pentallion said:

I've dug up that at the end of the original campaign run by Warren James, the castle mysteriously rises up, splits in two and lies on its sides.

The Castle is constructed of a reddish stone found nowhere else in Pavis (and probably Prax)

I will bet that this relates to the anti-Dragon defenses of the region, such as the Arm of Pavis and the many towers of the Sun Dome Temple complex that now serve as retirement towers.  The notion being that the building splits and reveals some dragon slaying device for launching (perhaps called a Thunderbird?).  If Urvanyar is indeed the Blind King, then we know he was a Dragon Slayer, and a Sun Worshiper, who likely went Blind from contemplating the Sun in Retirement.  It begins to make sense I think.  As for the red stone, well, we know Urvanyar is not from around Prax, and it may have come from his home in Dara Happa.  On the other hand, it might be the result of a hero quest.

My map of the Big Rubble has the Blind King' Castle detailed, from one of Ian Thomson's P&BR Companions. Some of the buildings are named on the map, but no descriptions are given.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

38 minutes ago, soltakss said:

My map of the Big Rubble has the Blind King' Castle detailed, from one of Ian Thomson's P&BR Companions. Some of the buildings are named on the map, but no descriptions are given.

Well I would very much like to get hold of that info.  I have seen your Big Rubble map.  The building scatter is accurate?  Good to know.

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

Well I would very much like to get hold of that info.  I have seen your Big Rubble map.  The building scatter is accurate?  Good to know.

As accurate as I could make it, based on various maps.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I used the floorplans from the classic White Dwarf scenario "The Halls of Tizun Thane" as the Palace in my game. I threw in quite a few elements from that scenario, including the brain-eating monster, and the mirrors as sorcerous entryways to Dragonewt roads (including a long-lost road to Kralorela). MGHV, of course.

• Like 4

I have found something pertinent.  Page 35 of Pavis: Gateway to Adventure says the following about the Blind King's Palace:

Palace of the Demi-God Priest:  One of the demi-god priests of the EWF built his palace atop this hill and a strange mystical labyrinthine canal nearby.  Students seeking draconic insight still flock to this hill.

That is a pretty solid gold indication that the Blind King was Labygyron.  It also puts to rest the whole Janas Khyree theory, and the notion that it was Urvanyar too.

So Labygyron was "Blind" because:

(a) The EWF was about to fail and he didn't know  (b) he was teaching the mysteries of the Dragon "All Eyes Shut". (c) His palace was built without windows (making it a vampire mecca).

(d) he lost the use of his eyes at some point. (e) all but d  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darius West said:

I have found something pertinent.  Page 35 of Pavis: Gateway to Adventure says the following about the Blind King's Palace:

Palace of the Demi-God Priest:  One of the demi-god priests of the EWF built his palace atop this hill and a strange mystical labyrinthine canal nearby.  Students seeking draconic insight still flock to this hill.

That is a pretty solid gold indication that the Blind King was Labygyron.  It also puts to rest the whole Janas Khyree theory, and the notion that it was Urvanyar too.

You overlooked the fact that the site was originally Labrygons temple but that part is buried and the Blind Kings Palace built over it.

10 hours ago, Pentallion said:

You overlooked the fact that the site was originally Labrygons temple but that part is buried and the Blind Kings Palace built over it.

Look again.  It says "One of the demi-god priests of the EWF built his palace...". Note, it doesn't say "temple", it says "palace", and as far as I am concerned a palaces contain temples far more often than temples contain palaces.  Greg is an author so as far as I am concerned that is conclusive.

Edited by Darius West

The Blind King's Castle on the p.40 map (in 1500) does appear to have the same shape and be in a similar location to the Palace of the Demi-God Priest shown on the p.35 map (in 920). That doesn't prove things on its own, since on the p.38 map (in 1200) the Palace of the DGP is said to be in ruins.

Separately, on p.34 of P:GtA it says that King Yanas Kyrem/Jhanas Kyree was known as the "Blind". Given that it also says that this same king "invited the demigod-priest Labyrgon" to Pavis and gave him Dragon's Hill, this would suggest to me that the "Blind King" and Labyrgon are two different people.

19 hours ago, Steve said:

The Blind King's Castle on the p.40 map (in 1500) does appear to have the same shape and be in a similar location to the Palace of the Demi-God Priest shown on the p.35 map (in 920). That doesn't prove things on its own, since on the p.38 map (in 1200) the Palace of the DGP is said to be in ruins.

Separately, on p.34 of P:GtA it says that King Yanas Kyrem/Jhanas Kyree was known as the "Blind". Given that it also says that this same king "invited the demigod-priest Labyrgon" to Pavis and gave him Dragon's Hill, this would suggest to me that the "Blind King" and Labyrgon are two different people.

Actually it sounds to me as if the land was owned by the Blind King (hence Blind King's Hill), and the palace on the hill might be named for the hill, not the person for whom the palace was built, so I take your point.  Labrygon built the palace, but the hill was already named, thus "the Palace on Blind King's Hill" gets contracted to "Blind King's Palace".  That would tick all the boxes.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 12/31/2018 at 4:24 AM, soltakss said:

This is currently being rectified, but will not be in Vol. 04

• Like 1

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson