The Coming Storm (hardback)

MOB

The Coming Storm in hardback is now available from www.chaosium.com!

It will be shipped to you from one of our international fulfilment warehouses (USA, Australia, Europe). And it comes with the PDF, free.

The Coming Storm makes a perfect home for your Sartarite adventurers. It's built for Heroquest Glorantha, and the rich background material is usable with RuneQuest or 13th Age Glorantha campaigns too.

http://www.chaosium.com/the-coming-storm

screen-shot-2016-07-06-at-2.05.45-pm.png

• Like 6

Hi,

In the Chaosium panel at The Kraken 2016, I remember Neil mentioning that soon European orders will be sent from the warehouse in the UK, so Europeans will have to pay less shipping costs. However, the other day I saw the shipping costs to send this book from the UK to Spain are 17,30$, whereas Amazon UK charges around 8$ to send a book to Spain. So, is this normal or is perhaps the UK warehouse not active yet?

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

13 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Hi,

In the Chaosium panel at The Kraken 2016, I remember Neil mentioning that soon European orders will be sent from the warehouse in the UK, so Europeans will have to pay less shipping costs. However, the other day I saw the shipping costs to send this book from the UK to Spain are 17,30$, whereas Amazon UK charges around 8$ to send a book to Spain. So, is this normal or is perhaps the UK warehouse not active yet?

Amazon can beat anyone's shipping prices. 

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Yeah, but ... by *THAT* much ???!?

*boggle*

Yup.

Amazon basically gets what amounts to a bulk-purchase discount, and Amazon spent about US$5 billion on shipping in 2015, so I imagine they get some really nice discounts. Also, they charge the customer significantly less than shipping actually costs.

Edited by Dumnbunny
Trying to get line-breaks right.

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Also, Amazon don't seem that bothered about making a profit.

I have heard in the past that they have sold Game Workshop items below cost price. Part of the strategy seems to be capturing custom to increase subsequent sales - which seems to work because Amazon is so useful, whether directly or by providing third party sales.

A second hand bookshop owner I knew was driven to close his physical shop because with the overheads he couldn't compete with dealers on eBay and Amazon. A great shame, because perusing the stacks of books I often found things I didn't know I wanted! However, he also had to deal with thefts: once as I was at the desk about to pay he asked me to 'mind the store' as he raced after a shoplifter...

Selling stuff via Amazon is a real mixed bag of good and bad. The good is that they MIGHT buy a lot of your product. The bad is that they are allowed to return whatever they want to you months later, and they make you pay to ship things to their warehouse. They usually pay you 45% of the cover price. Also, they expect whatever they order to be shipped to them within 24 hours. 

As a side note: We try to charge only what shipping costs us. We review those costs and adjust them if they are too high or low. We ship from three locations on three different continents to help decrease what many of our customers have to pay for shipping. The cost of shipping is almost always down to volume. We would love to be able to ship you your books inexpensively, but that is difficult at the volume we ship. If you want to see what we are up against, please go to your country's post office site and see what it would cost you to ship a 2 kilo package from your country to either the UK, the US, or Australia. It's not as cheap as you think in most cases. I too love fast shipping and having a tracking number, but both of those things cost extra.  

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Got my copy, very pleased.  This is the sort of core support that I wish was around 20 years ago!  The basic narrative of Runequest is generally seen as the struggle between the Orlanthi barbarians and the Lunar Empire.  What do we get support for?  PRAX!

My view of the Dragon Pass region changed quite a bit with the video game King of Dragon Pass.  Instead of just a place to rebel against the Lunars, it is a place of wonder in its own right.  I am running a campaign now, and have set is well before the Lunar occupation, to give the players time to learn the world, its charm, and to actually have something to care about when the Lunars move in and wreck their ways of life. 

Dissolv

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

If you want to see what we are up against, please go to your country's post office site and see what it would cost you to ship a 2 kilo package from your country to either the UK, the US, or Australia. It's not as cheap as you think in most cases. I too love fast shipping and having a tracking number, but both of those things cost extra.  

I have no doubt you are doing your best, but what about DHL, <2kg within europe, €9 -about US$10- (€7.90 if you order 100) ? But I may have missed smg, like VAT or whatever.

"Päckchen" https://www.dhl.de/en/paket/preise/preise-international.html

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog