Parts of Wakboth

Harrek

I'm interested about the known pieces of Wakboth and where they are located. Obviously, there's some parts under the Block and maybe some scattered around the Devil's Marsh. I have the RQ Adventures Fanzine #3, which has information about Devil's Marsh and the Block, but it's unofficial publication. And yes, I have the Guide also. 

The Eye of Wakboth is under the Devil's Playground in Pavis. I remember reading about the Hand of Devil, but I can't find the reference.

Are there any other parts and if, where are they?  

The Hand of the Devil is in the Devil's Marsh, according to an issue of Codex. There is a set of caves under the Devil's Marsh, in the shape of a hand, and a scenario to go with it.

Theoretically, the Good Canal might have washed some parts of the Devil away, allowing some to have been washed into Sartar. 

I suppose some enterprising followers of Gbaji might have HeroQuested to find some of the Devil's Bits and taken them away, similarly some rogue Lunars might want to do the same.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The parts of the devil are listed in Nomad Gods:

The Devil's hand - the only physical portion left, outside the block's impact area.

Cacodemon - contains some of the devil's intelligence 

the other parts are the half digested portions of the river, overwhelmed by the chaos, so that the chaos continues to exist:

Dragonsnails, gorp, bullstich and gas.

you should be able to buy this soon as it's part of the Khan of Khans kickstarter - @MOB?

For the eye of Wakboth, its in the devils playground adventure as others have mentioned.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 minute ago, David Scott said:

The parts of the devil are listed in Nomad Gods:

The Devil's hand - the only physical portion left, outside the block's impact area.

Cacodemon - contains some of the devil's intelligence 

the other parts are the half digested portions of the river, overwhelmed by the chaos, so that the chaos continues to exist:

Dragonsnails, gorp, bullstich and gas.

you should be able to buy this soon as it's part of the Khan of Khans kickstarter - @MOB?

For the eye of Wakboth, its in the devils playground adventure as others have mentioned.

Yes, the Nomad Gods PDF will be available soon to Khan of Khans Kickstarter backers who order it, and also via Backerkit. I will post a link when it is available (later this week).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harrek said:

How dragonsnails and gorp are parts of the Devil?

Consider something of the shape of dragonsnails, and you may get the idea from which part they come.  ;)

As for gorp, well could be anything from the Devil's blood, to his saliva, to stomach juices, or anything else that might 'flow' freely.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harrek said:

How dragonsnails and gorp are parts of the Devil? Bullstich and gas I understand. I have to order the Nomad Gods.

The key part is 

The ugly creatures which inhabit those filthy places are half-digested portions of the polluted river. The forces of chaos have overwhelmed their captors to varying degrees and so continued the miserable and squalid existence at the expense of the whole world.

So dragonsnails:

These seem to have been normal pond creatures which were outrageously mutated...

Gorp:

Gorp is the name used to describe the general unwholesome mess which is occasionally animated and emerges from the marsh to feed. 

Gorp would seem to be half-digested portions of the polluted river. I realise that Pocharngo is the Gorp God, but gorp have more than one source. Interestingly Pocharngo has a rune spell called Spawn Crawling Hand, which sort of echoes the Devil's Hand.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

Gorp would seem to be half-digested portions of the polluted river. I realise that Pocharngo is the Gorp God, but gorp have more than one source. Interestingly Pocharngo has a rune spell called Spawn Crawling Hand, which sort of echoes the Devil's Hand.

I note with some interest that the Grotto of Pocharngo (Troubled Waters) is directly connected to the Eye of Wakboth. Is this connection more than physical? Is Pocharngo in fact a part of the Devil, like Cacodemon? 

I also note that the chaos priest Oll seems to predate Robcradle (he has been there "for time beyond memory"). I think it is safe to assume that the Cacodemon temple on Ogre Island is also ancient. So, the God Learners abandon Feroda and build a settlement right on top of a Chaos Nest. Paragua and the giants build walls around it. Lord Pavis builds a city there -- with a Chaos/Broo Market. Trolls, known defenders against chaos, invade and seal the city. The Lunars (unwittingly or not) bring Krarsht to Pavis -- did Lunar Krarsht worshippers and ogres initiate the invasion of Prax to get close to this Chaos Nest? 

I think it might be time to write an updated version of my old Eye of Wakboth conspiracy and make a campaign out of it... Orlanthi and Lunars (the Coders, perhaps) working clandestinely together to root out the Gbaji conspirators in the Lunar administration. But the Gbaji conspiracy isn't local to Pavis -- it goes much higher, all the way up to power-hungry-and-secretly-Krarshti Tatius. Following the leads from Pavis, the players must work hard to convince anti-chaos Lunars in the provincial army (Fazzur?) to help them. In the end, they get the intel that allows Kallyr and her group to infiltrate the Reaching Moon ceremony. Not a bad campaign. 

Sorry for the thread jack, but thanks for inspiring me! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mikkling said:

I note with some interest that the Grotto of Pocharngo (Troubled Waters) is directly connected to the Eye of Wakboth. Is this connection more than physical? Is Pocharngo in fact a part of the Devil, like Cacodemon?

Given the mythology of Pocharngo features him being torn to pieces, it's quite possible. Maybe his stomach or something similar.

2 hours ago, mikkling said:

Is Pocharngo in fact a part of the Devil

Maybe, given Lords of Terror says:

Pocharngo was first seen shortly after the Spike exploded.

Perhaps that's how the hand is still animated - by Pocharngo still being present in the world.

• Like 4

-----

There is an insert called Parts of the Devil in Borderlands & Beyond, page 219. The text tells us that there are six parts.

The Devil's Hand is supposed to be in the Devil's swamp.

As I understand it, the Stomach is under the Block but send intestinal tentacles to drag itself through the swamps or grab some preys.

The Cacodemon is thought to contain some of the Devil's intelligence.

The Dragonsnails seem to be mutated pond creatures.

The Bullsitch(es) are fist size bugs with a long nose able to pierce through Rhino hide and with a preference for nomad herd animals over men.

The Gas is supposed to be a sort of mental or magical response which survived the destruction of the Devil

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikkling said:

I note with some interest ... 

I also note ,,, 

I think it might be time to write an updated version of my old Eye of Wakboth conspiracy and make a campaign out of it... 

Sorry for the thread jack, but thanks for inspiring me! 

This isn't a threadjack... this is fulfilling the promise of this thread!  :D

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

The proximity of the Eye of Wakboth and Ogre Island, and Cacodemon being a part of the Devil's INT, makes for an interesting connection. Now, Ogre Island/Devil's Playground could have been someplace else during the Great Darkness, dragged into its present location by Waha's Net. What if Ogre Island is the birthplace of Cacodemon? The Devil gets squelched by the Block, and parts of it fly off. The Eye of Wakboth, with some offal of Wakboth, lands somewhere, and Cacodemon spawns from the Eye. Or, the Eye IS Cacodemon. Though, the Cacodemon write-up says he was driven to the Hero Plane, and the Eye is still in the middle world. Or is it deep enough into Gata that it is no longer in the middle world?

From the Cult Compendium: "the ogre race claims it originated during the Great Darkness when a band of people, perhaps human, chose his disorderly way as the guide to their survival. Since then, all ogres have had connections with the demon."

So, is Ogre Island where this happened? The wretched band of people near the landing spot or the Eye itself start worshipping Cacodemon to save themselves. At some point, the Eye starts burrowing to its resting place far beneath nowadays Devil's Playground. Or perhaps it is still be burrowing downwards into the heart of Gata?

Given that the Zola Fel river valley is fertile and has always been populated, it is reasonable to assume that ogres have always been present among the humans up and down the river in the vicinity of Ogre Island. Oll, the Pocharngo priest, could reasonably be one of the original group of wretched humans that bathed in the offal of the Devil, given how ancient he is. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

And the other hand is 'The Left Hand Claw' near Snakepipe Hollow?

Hmm, maybe not, at 'The Right Hand Claw' is deep within the caves.

I believe those are distinct, yet probably 'modeled' on the Devil's Hand.  Or perhaps they are spawn of the Devil's Hand?

(I'm loving mikklings theories)

Perhaps Pocharngo is a part of Wakboth, in the sense that he is the aspect of Wakboth's corruption.
Now, why did Pavis had to build his city precisely enclosing The Devil's Playground?

He could have very well built it just ten miles to the north, and now the Eye of Wakboth would be on someone else's garden...  Food for thought?

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

3 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Now, why did Pavis had to build his city precisely enclosing The Devil's Playground?

Because it was already defined by the giants wall that walled off robcradle. It was a grazing for the Praxians that they and the giants defended. A better question is what is the relationship between the godlearners at robcradle and wakboths eye. And what became of the godlearners there. 

• Like 6

-----

5 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

(I'm loving mikklings theories)

Perhaps Pocharngo is a part of Wakboth, in the sense that he is the aspect of Wakboth's corruption.

He could have very well built it just ten miles to the north, and now the Eye of Wakboth would be on someone else's garden...  Food for thought?

Good chance Pavis , not being from the area, did not know about the Devils playground and the Eye of Wakboth. Or thought his magic was powerful enough to prevent it from being a problem.

I mean how many people know anything about the Eye of Wakboth?

And as for the God Learners and Robcradle , The God Learners seem to consider Chaos a minor threat In the second age , not a real danger. But then the

God Learners considered most things a minor threat and felt their magic  could handle any problem.

9 hours ago, TRose said:

I mean how many people know anything about the Eye of Wakboth?

If we posit that Ogre Island is the birthplace of the ogre race, then they might retain legends about it, especially if ogres have lived in the vicinity ever since. Not that they are going to tell anyone, but their machinations will draw upon that secret. In the scenario Troubled Waters, it is stated that the ogres have recently divined the presence of the Eye, and that it is their actions that have provoked the gorp plague. And the Krarshti that came with the Lunars have been busy tunnelling through the Devil's Playground. So, the conspiracy has been active. 

The God Learners might have divined something about the place, since they built Robcradle on top of it. I'm leaning towards the idea that the area around Ogre Island is a place of Power -- magic in general is potent there, not only chaos (but the presence of the Eye means that the risk of corruption is non-negligible). 

The Pavis/Flintnail cult might also have divined something about it after the city was established -- and it seems like at least some Pavisites did become corrupted in their desperation. In Pavis: Gateway to Adventure, the God Learner settlement on Cradlesnatch Island has turned into Sorcerer’s Island by 1200 ST ("this fortied settlement is home to the Jrusteli descendants. They are feared by the other inhabitants of the city and have turned to evil demons [Fiends of Cacodemon, perhaps?] to defend themselves against the nomads"). There is also a Chaos Market within Pavis at this time. Also mentioned is Jokat Pulos the Dark Priest who died defending the Pavis Temple when Toras Joran cracked it. Presumably he was part of a mentioned group of humans experimenting with the powers of Darkness and Hell. I don't know if this by itself is indication of corruption or indication of needing the powers of Darkness and Hell to defend against Chaos or both of those things. But by human standards it definitely seems out of the ordinary. It seems even the trolls were affected. "One group of rebellious trolls is known to have worshipped at black stone altars topped by impaling spikes". Sounds odd, even by troll standards. By 1500, "a tribe of ogres reside [on Ogre Island] and summon Chaos demons in unholy rituals at this temple. At times they extract tribute from all the residents of Pavis". If there is a tribe of ogres powerful enough to exact tribute from the humans during the troll occupation, they are not gonna disappear once Pavis is reopened in the 1550s. It gets even more fun if we assume that the ogre tribe are descendants of the sorcerers. The Chaos Market still exists, where humans hire chaos mercenaries to protect themselves from trolls. 

The Lunars in general probably know nothing about the Eye, but the ogre-krarshti-gbaji-conspirators in the Provincial Army do know that there is a Chaos Nest beneath the Big Rubble -- I guess Pavis ogres initiated contact with Lunar ogres/chaos worshippers after Pavis was reopened in the 1550s.

I am a bit annoyed that we know next to nothing about what the Pavis/Flintnail/Ginkizzie cult is up to -- or Lord Pavis' motivations and plans. We know he built an extravagant city, but why? He retires into his crystal tomb [stasis chamber?] -- why? He was a master of the Man rune -- he crossbred mostali and human (Ginkizzie -- still alive), himself a half-elf. He was a magus from the EWF, aided by mostali -- there has to be something more to it: a grand plan or mytho-magical experiment. Perhaps his plans and his priesthood was simply upset/stymied/put on hold by Jaldon and his nomads, and then by trolls. Has his plan been irrevocably lost, himself a tragic failure, with the surviving priesthood simply clinging on to meaningless traditions? Or is Pavis still alive/not dead/undead, and the priesthood remember the secrets and still try to realise the plan? Or is Ginkizzie, the grandson of Pavis, the real mastermind, mover, and shaker of Pavis' plan? 

• Like 2