Rune Masters is back, as the original author intended

MOB

The latest RQ Classic release is Rune Masters, and this new version restores material previously cut from the original (after Chaosium "decided to compact the material into a $5 size book instead of an $8 size book").

Only 36 years later, Rune Masters is published as the original author William Keyes intended it to be, with the colorful biographical notes he'd written for each of the 45 characters described in the book!

Available in PDF now from Chaosium:
http://www.chaosium.com/rune-masters-pdf

cha4012runemasters__86357.1494881693.128

Edited by MOB
  • Like 6

Guest Vile Traveller

I always wondered whether someone noticed part-way through illustrating the title text, "Oh, crap. Masters. It's Rune MASTERS ..." :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, M Helsdon said:

Didn't a Wyrm's Footnotes article have corrections to the spell tactics?

We have included that article in this version. Plus I got permission from John T. Sapienze Jr. to include his review article.

Those will be in the revised version due out shortly.

• Like 6

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Ka-ching! 5L off to the Chasoium. You Issaires types really know how to sell a deal. Haven't seen or heard anything about "Mr. Character Sheet" since HEROES magazine. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Besides the Sapienza article, I wonder how much is different from the Runemasters section from Gloranthan Classics: Borderlands & Beyond? I have that in print and pdf form, so I'm a little reluctant to pay for the same content again. 

However it will be very handy for those who missed the Gloranthan Classics compendiums.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

I wonder how much is different from the Runemasters section from Gloranthan Classics: Borderlands & Beyond

The short biographies now in the Rune Masters book (not in the original published one), were already included in the Borderlands & Beyond book.

That basically leaves all the forms used in the "Complete the X section" references (e.g. RuneMaster character sheet, Squad sheet, etc.) 

1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

Besides the Sapienza article, I wonder how much is different from the Runemasters section from Gloranthan Classics: Borderlands & Beyond? I have that in print and pdf form, so I'm a little reluctant to pay for the same content again. 

However it will be very handy for those who missed the Gloranthan Classics compendiums.

And at $5, it's not going to break anyone's wallet. Ya know, I think that if they could actully go with 1980s pricing, RQ would make a killer comeback just because it wouldn't cost all that much in today's market. But then, I suppose the days of $12 rulebooks, with minimal setting, scattered line art, and mediocre typeface are long gone. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.