1 hour ago, g33k said:

Any chance of getting this corrected in D/L'able version (and any other player-facing bits -- PC sheets, player-hand-outs, etc)...

before Free RPG Day ?   ;)

I've passed the info on, but the uploads/etc. are out of my ability to control. 

1 hour ago, Eric Christian Berg said:

I believe he's referring to page 8 under Movement, the last sentence of which reads, "An adventurer engaged in melee cannot move until disengaged."

I am also confused as to whether a point of MOV equals 1m or 3m. That section seems to suggest it is 1m while in combat and 3m when not engaged, but that doesn't jibe with what you quote later where folks in combat can move half their movement.

You can always run away until you are actually directly engaged in combat. But once you are actually in the fray, slashing around with your sword and parrying with your shield against another person, it is too late to simply run away (yes, I know that there exist examples to the contrary, but most of those can be explained "rules-wise" as either being someone who runs away before engagement or is disengaged).
This by the way is why mounted combat is so advantageous.

"Sorala has sorcery in the core rulebook, but it was easier to just give her spirit and rune magic for the quickstart."

So 'Find Magic' is a sorcery spell that is in the spell matrix item she has?  I was going to change it to Detect Magic, but she already knows that.

Edited by GamingGlen

I searched through and didn't see this question already, but I apologize if I missed it.

On page 6, regarding Opposed Resolutions..."If both participants succeed, the winner is whoever rolled higher."  Is this a typo?  If critical successes are the lowest of rolls, and you are always aiming to roll under a number, why would the higher roll of an opposed resolution win (if both have succeeded)?  It seems counter intuitive to the mechanic, and confusing for the players.  Should it not be, "If both participants succeed, the winner is whoever rolled lower"?

Thanks in advance! :)

lets say Harmast and Vostor are having a singing contest - 35% & 30% respectively. Harmast rolls 25, Vostor a 28. Both succeed but Voster wins the contest has he rolls higher. Now if Yanioth were to compete (70%) she'd need to roll between 29 - 70, a special or a critical to win. Rolling higher therefore favours those with higher skills.

if however Harmast rolled a critical of 02, Yanioth would need to critical and roll 03 - 04 to win. She'd lose on a roll of 01 and draw on a 02

Edited by Psullie
clarification
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

Gotcha. In this case, "move" means non-combat movement. You can take half your movement rate during combat as part of that combat, but you're still technically "engaged" in combat. 

1 MOV equals 1 meter when in combat (so you can move up to 4 meters in combat for free,8 meters doing nothing but moving) versus out-of-combat movement, when you can move up to 24 meters. 

I was coming at it from another angle:

In the context of movement (you were moving last round, and/or your most-recent SoI was a non-combat "Move") -- you may engage in combat only if you haven't gone more than 1/2 normal movement.

In the context of melee-combat (you are in combat-range of a foe, and either of you has attacked the other one last round and/or has made an "attack" SoI for this round) -- you must Disengage from the combat before engaging in "Movement" (or the foe gets to attack which you may neither Parry nor Dodge.).

That is to say, each rule is correct, within its specific context.  But because of the way things are "framed" it can appear odd, broken, or like a rules-contradiction.

Is all of this correct?

Edited by g33k
corrected as per the rules (I hope)

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, JerHoc said:

I searched through and didn't see this question already, but I apologize if I missed it.

On page 6, regarding Opposed Resolutions..."If both participants succeed, the winner is whoever rolled higher."  Is this a typo?  If critical successes are the lowest of rolls, and you are always aiming to roll under a number, why would the higher roll of an opposed resolution win (if both have succeeded)?  It seems counter intuitive to the mechanic, and confusing for the players.  Should it not be, "If both participants succeed, the winner is whoever rolled lower"?

This is one of the clever mechanics of the opposed roll, actually.

If we have a contest, your skill is 40 while mine is 20, if we both roll a "normal success", my possible rolls are 05-20, while yours are 09-40, meaning even if we both nominally "succeed", it's much more likely your normal success was better (higher) than mine, because of your intrinsically higher skill.

This was a clever way to implement a "better" result within a "same" success category that didn't involve mathy subtraction to figure who had the better differential vs their skill....same result, MUCH simpler, albeit a little counter intuitive until you get it.

Jason, as far as movement, my point was in the "the melee round" description that lists the order of events:

Statement of intent

Movement of UNENGAGED characters

Resolution of melee, missiles and spells

Bookkeeping

...ie engaged toons never get to move?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jason Durall said:
  • The "2nd kind of meditation" is the same as the 1st kind. See the description of the skill on page 12. The description at the top of page 20 is explicitly talking about its role in restoring magic points. 
  • Earthpower, like most Rune spells, lasts 15 minutes. The top of page 21 says "Unless the spell description says otherwise, all Rune spells are passive with a duration of 15 minutes". The extra POW goes away at the end of the spell's duration. It's not a permanent thing. Not having a D after the spell description is an oversight, though, and it's clearer in the core rules.  

First, HUGE thanks for your replies.  Much appreciated.  There are some really helpful answers in there.

Meditation: on p21 it says "the sole purpose of this meditation is the casting of the spell, and does not yield additional magic points" - so NOT the same as the first kind?

Earthpower: so the caster gets a point of POW for 15 mins... I didn't realize the duration limit, thanks.  Obviously this point of POW shouldn't be sacrificeable for rune points.

Edited by styopa
2 hours ago, styopa said:

This is one of the clever mechanics of the opposed roll, actually.

If we have a contest, your skill is 40 while mine is 20, if we both roll a "normal success", my possible rolls are 05-20, while yours are 09-40, meaning even if we both nominally "succeed", it's much more likely your normal success was better (higher) than mine, because of your intrinsically higher skill.

This was a clever way to implement a "better" result within a "same" success category that didn't involve mathy subtraction to figure who had the better differential vs their skill....same result, MUCH simpler, albeit a little counter intuitive until you get it.

A similar mechanic used in Heroquest also, and I never quite understood it there, until your explanation here. Now I totally understand it and can explain it to others now, TY.

17 hours ago, JerHoc said:

Welcome to the most hotly-debated aspect of the Basic Roleplaying system... the opposed role resolution! 

It's been mostly answered below, but if you've got non-matching outcomes (normal success vs. a special success, special success vs. a critical) the better result (not the roll) wins. 

If you have matching results (normal vs. normal, special vs. special, crit vs. crit) then you compare the highest of the actual number. This gives the higher skilled character the advantage. It's the easiest (if non-intuitive) means of handling it, because otherwise you're dealing with subtracting or some other complicated resolution.  

• Like 1

When running one off's with new players I find name tags useful for me and the players so I threw these together last night and hough I'd share incase any one else finds them useful

PS: I love the way Yanioth is the only one looking at the viewer, really self-assured and Vostor looks shifty, well done to Roman Kisyov on the portraits. Any chance of colour versions?

nametags.pdf

• Like 1
On 2017/6/13 at 0:25 AM, Jason Durall said:

Gotcha. In this case, "move" means non-combat movement. You can take half your movement rate during combat as part of that combat, but you're still technically "engaged" in combat. 

1 MOV equals 1 meter when in combat (so you can move up to 4 meters in combat for free,8 meters doing nothing but moving) versus out-of-combat movement, when you can move up to 24 meters. 

I am very confused about the movement rules.

In old RQ2, Movement rule is very clear.
MOV unit is always 3 meters (10 feet) in combat round, and Human has move 8.

If you are not engaged in MELEE combat:
  You can move up to 24 meters if you move only.
  You can move up to (half) 12 meters if you use combat action. (Delay 1 SR every 3 meters of movement).
If you are engaged in MELEE combat:
  You can not move.

Is it changed? why?
In RQG term, what do you meen non-comabat movement and "engage in combat"?

2 hours ago, hanataka said:

You can move up to (half) 12 meters if you use combat action. (Delay 1 SR every 3 meters of movement).
  You can not move.

Is it changed? why?

this is how I read it:

As soon as your character is within weapon reach and you are trying to hit you are engaged in combat. If you end a round engaged you begin the next round engaged. If you start the round not engaged but can connect an enemy in less than 12 meters (4 MOV) you can enter combat at an SR cost of 1 per 3 meters (1 MOV) travelled.

Likewise, unless you are actively being attacked, but engaged you may move 1 meter (1 MOV) per SR. An example being two v's one where the flanking character could elect to move and engage another, remaining engaged at all times. 

Finally to disengage requires that the character move outside of contact range. then begins the next round unengaged with higher movement.

You could also state that if you end a round out of weapon reach of any opponent you are automatically un-engaged for the next round.

Edited by Psullie
3 hours ago, hanataka said:

You can not move.

Is it changed? why?

The new RQ uses the same movement rules as RQ2.

• You can move up to 25 meters if you move only.
  • You can move up to (half) 12 meters if you use combat action. (Delay 1 SR every 3 meters of movement).

• You cannot move until you disengage.

The only difference in the new RQ is that it is possible to disengage from melee through retreating.

• Like 3