We didn't have room to include this in the QS rules (I mean how likely is it that anyone uses Spell Trading in this scenario) but basically Spell Trading trades the use of a specified Rune spell in exchange for another specified Rune spell. The traders each spend Rune points equal to the traded spell. You get those Rune points back the normal way.

One nice thing is that you don't use your Rune ratings to cast the spell, but those of the original caster (which does mean that the GM needs to inform the character at what percentage she can cast the spell). 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

We didn't have room to include this in the QS rules (I mean how likely is it that anyone uses Spell Trading in this scenario) but basically Spell Trading trades the use of a specified Rune spell in exchange for another specified Rune spell. The traders each spend Rune points equal to the traded spell. You get those Rune points back the normal way.

One nice thing is that you don't use your Rune ratings to cast the spell, but those of the original caster (which does mean that the GM needs to inform the character at what percentage she can cast the spell). 

Fair point, thanks for the explanation.

In case anyone finds them useful, I've created some various docs, mainly to put on my DM screen:

- Locations (RQG hit locations)

- The Runes

- Lightbringers and some Friends

- RQ-evocative images, including a small map of the scenario surroundings from the AA atlas.

Also made a RQ:G character sheet in excel, pdf versions.  Meant to customize one each for the game toons, but simply won't have the time to do it...includes a second page with full Rune spell list and abbreviated/simplified descriptions.

The Runes.pdf

Evocative.pdf

Lightbringers and Friends.pdf

Locations.pdf

RQ-G Character sheet_blank.xlsx

RQ-G Character sheet_blank.pdf

• Like 2
1 hour ago, styopa said:

In case anyone finds them useful, I've created some various docs, mainly to put on my DM screen:

- Locations (RQG hit locations)

- The Runes

- Lightbringers and some Friends

- RQ-evocative images, including a small map of the scenario surroundings from the AA atlas.

Also made a RQ:G character sheet in excel, pdf versions.  Meant to customize one each for the game toons, but simply won't have the time to do it...includes a second page with full Rune spell list and abbreviated/simplified descriptions.

The Runes.pdf

Evocative.pdf

Lightbringers and Friends.pdf

Locations.pdf

RQ-G Character sheet_blank.xlsx

RQ-G Character sheet_blank.pdf

Excellent and thanks!

5 hours ago, tedopon said:

Is Vasana's insane Lance damage modifier supposed to represent a mounted charge attack?

+3d6 is really high.

Yes, it equals the bison's damage bonus, as a charge uses the mount's damage bonus instead of the rider's.

The QS rules has mounted combat detailed on page 16.  The QS, and RQ2, do not talk about  dismounting.  Is it covered in the new rules?  How many SR would dismounting add to a characters actions?  5?  DEX SR?  What about a quick dismount?  Borrowing from Pathfinder, a quick dismount is a DC 10 Ride check so in my dry run Yasana, after charging with her bison, attempt one using her ride skill and I rolled a special success.  On the spot I let her make her attack on her normal strike rank with +1 damage.  Reflecting on it, I think I would go with a fumble: fall down, failure: dismount adds 5 to your SR of any additional actions, success: dismount adds DEX SR, special: +0 SR and add your die roll to your attack if that's your intent, critical: as special but at full special success chance (so her 70% would add +14 to her attack %) and add 1 damage if the strike is successful.

Edited by GamingGlen
list page, add dismounting options
  • Like 1

We hope everyone enjoys running their sessions tomorrow - please share photos of people having fun playing RQ on social media if you get the opportunity!

Jeff and Jason have complied the following Errata for the RuneQuest Quickstart.

RUNEQUEST QUICKSTART ERRATA

Page 5, bottom of page:

-        Vasana should have the Truth Rune ( y ) instead of the Moon Rune ( / ).

Page 8, Movement:

-        Change “1 meter” to “3 meters”

Page 22, Rune spell table:

-        Earthpower should have D at the end

-        Leap should be V, not 1

-        Mist Cloud should be V, not 1

-        Multispell should be Self, not R

-        Teleport price should be 3+

Page 29, Carthalo:

-        Carthalo’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

Page 32, Rock Lizard

-        Hit points in right hind leg are 4, not 6

Page 35, Varanik:

-        Varanik’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

Page 37, Danakos:

-        Danakos’ left leg hit location should be 05-08

-        Ignore the extra “Upper Left Arm” and “Head” hit locations

-        His Medium Shield damage should be 1D4+1D4, with SR 7

Page 42, Vasana:

-        Vasana’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

-        Vasana should have the Truth Rune ( y ) instead of the Moon Rune ( / ).

Page 43, Yanioth:

-        Yanioth’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

Page 44, Vostor:

-        Vostor’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

Page 45, Sorala:

-        Sorala’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

Page 46, Harmast:

-        Harmast’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

-        Harmast’s SR for his broadsword should be 5

-        Harmast is missing a % after his Search skill

-        Harmast’s zebras... remove “not” from the 1st sentence

Optional Downloadable Adventurer, Vishi Dunn:

-        Vishi’s left leg hit location should be 05-08

-        Vishi should have “Speak Spiritspeech 50%” in his languages section.

-        Vishi should have 19 magic points, not 16

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MOB said:

Ooh, available already somewhere?

2 hours ago, MOB said:

I admit I am torn between "Yeah, another character" and "crap, another mini to paint."

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

On 6/12/2017 at 3:24 AM, MOB said:

Interestingly, in both times I've been involved in a playtest, the player characters did fight Idrima, or at least started or provoked a fight and then very rapidly decided this was a bad idea and switched gears to negotiate. 

I did a playtest and my five-player group absolutely refused to negotiate until three were dead, then it wasn't such a bad idea. 

• Like 2
On 6/16/2017 at 3:53 PM, MOB said:

Not officially coming out until we release the PDF and physical book to the world on July 1st. 

😞

Sure would be nice if the Cult GM's had this to offer our players tomorrow ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks MOB, Jeff & Jason for the errata

On 6/16/2017 at 5:28 PM, g33k said:

😞

Yes, but I think there's more than enough for an afternoons gaming, roll on Saturday!

36 minutes ago, Psullie said:

Thanks MOB, Jeff & Jason for the errata

Yes, but I think there's more than enough for an afternoons gaming, roll on Saturday!

I think the point being most of us are hoping we have strong interest and in that case an extra player spot would be nice to have.

5 hours ago, theWoozle said:

I did a playtest and my five-player group absolutely refused to negotiate until three were dead, then it wasn't such a bad idea. 

Interesting.  My test had three characters take her down in 2 rounds (a crit rolled in round 2), although one did have his chest crushed.

Her hit location chart is not the same as all the other humans.  Instead of the melee hit location chart, it uses the RQ2 missile hit location chart for humanoids.  Is this intentional?

Edited by GamingGlen
  • Like 1

I have a big question regarding augments?

p3 talks about Augmenting Abilities: "Where appropriate, abilities—whether Runes, skills, or passions— may be combined to augment one another, using one ability in support of another." (later it explains it can also be used for the Resistance Table as well)

p8 talks about Runic Augments as something distinct "Runes may be used as inspiration to augment skills or increase the chance of success on a resistance roll. What can be augmented depends on the specific Rune: an Elemental Rune may be used to augment a single non-combat skill within its skills category, with a sense associated with the Rune, or with an elemental weapon, and a Power or Form Rune may be used by character to augment any skill being used in accordance with that Rune"

Finally, p11 talks about Passion Inspirations: (basically like Runic Augments)

Sorry if I'm just not getting it, but considering the benefits are identical, and only the negative consequences vary (they're potentially far worse on the Runic Augment/Passion Inspiration charts) why would anyone use a Runic Augment/Passion Inspiration?  Further, the first suggests that one can use *any* of the Runes, Skills OR Passions for it, while the latter seem to be constrained to Runes & Passions, respectively.

(Also note: passions table talks about ABILITIES being increased by X%, which is misleading - the description states that you can augment skills only?  ie you couldn't increase your STR by +50%)

Edited by styopa
17 minutes ago, styopa said:

Sorry if I'm just not getting it, but considering the benefits are identical, and only the negative consequences vary (they're potentially far worse on the Runic Augment/Passion Inspiration charts) why would anyone use a Runic Augment/Passion Inspiration?

My interpretation is this:

If relevant, you can augment an ability with another ability.  This uses the table on p.2. It's effect is for the length of time for the primary ability (i.e. one roll). 

You can augment an ability or resistance roll with a Rune via Runic Inspiration.  This uses the table on p.8.  It's effect is for the length of combat/battle or as determined by GM for particular action (max. 1 day).

You can augment an ability with a Passion via Inspiration.  This uses the table on p.10.  It's effect is for the length of combat/battle or as determined by GM for particular action (max. 1 day).

The big benefit for Inspiration via Rune or Passion is its duration and it's application (augment) for any relevant abilities during that timeframe.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

p18: "Damage Equals or Exceeds Double Location Hit Points: A character cannot take more than twice the possible points of damage in an arm or leg from a single blow: the rest have no effect. Further blows to that limb affect the hit points of the character"

I presume there's a "don't" missing in there?  Ie Further blows to that limb DON'T affect the hit points of the character.(?)

26 minutes ago, styopa said:

p18: "Damage Equals or Exceeds Double Location Hit Points: A character cannot take more than twice the possible points of damage in an arm or leg from a single blow: the rest have no effect. Further blows to that limb affect the hit points of the character"

I presume there's a "don't" missing in there?  Ie Further blows to that limb DON'T affect the hit points of the character.(?)

I presume these HP's *DO* apply -- they go onto (come off of) the "general HP's" without any hit-location effect.  It was still a "hit" on the attack roll, after all...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I presume these HP's *DO* apply -- they go onto (come off of) the "general HP's" without any hit-location effect.  It was still a "hit" on the attack roll, after all...

That's precisely my question. RQ2 said it did still affect the hp of the character, which didn't make much sense that you could ultimately kill someone by continually stabbing their arm enough times.  Thus why in RQ3, damage beyond the 2x threshold didn't affect body hp - the limb was too mangled for more damage to matter.  

• Like 1

For those still checking before their game tomorrow, here's 

1) a quick-reference chart with the crit/spec/fumble values for skills, all the various augment types, combat round order of events, SR table, common combat mods, aimed shot rule, hit locs, attack vs dodge and attack vs parry results chart (wow, some of those text explanations are NOT clear!), damage results by location, and rune relationships/associations list.  If there's anything I screwed up transposing, let me know, I'll still be around until around noon CST tomorrow.

2) for those who want to use figures but aren't ambitious enough to buy/paint them, here are standups you can cut out and use on a battlemat.  (for the base, we use little alligator paperclips 7510362023.jpg, clip them on the bottom, and remove the arms - voila, a standup figure with decently-weighted base.

All as docx and pdf for easy printing/editing.

RQG QR Sheet.docx

Standups.pdf

Standups.docx

RQG QR Sheet.pdf

• Like 1
On 6/16/2017 at 5:22 AM, GamingGlen said:

Yes, it equals the bison's damage bonus, as a charge uses the mount's damage bonus instead of the rider's.

The QS rules has mounted combat detailed on page 16.  The QS, and RQ2, do not talk about  dismounting.  Is it covered in the new rules?  How many SR would dismounting add to a characters actions?  5?  DEX SR?  What about a quick dismount?  

Anything not covered in the rules explicitly is generally recommended as 5 SRs. That would be a "as quick as I can" dismount, versus a leisurely dismount out of combat. 

I wouldn't require a skilled cavalry soldier to make a Ride check to dismount, any more than I'd have a soldier have to roll to switch weapons. 

13 hours ago, g33k said:

:(

We decided there's already a lot to take in with the Quickstart as it is, especially for GMs and players who are new to d100, RuneQuest and Glorantha.

The extra character will be released as a bonus download on July 1st.