Glorantha Sourcebook now available to download at DTRPG (13G too)

MOB

6 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

Yeah, the sword-buckler is interesting too, if completely unsuitable for melee.

Andrey and I tried out a couple of different variations...

5a8bc48697e38_ScreenShot2018-02-20at5_46_26pm.png.928c2ca5e7a1cfaa986e6e0d0a448287.png

We decided that having the broo with no weapon at all looked a bit wimpy, so we tried a spikey chaos trident before settling on the spiky double-dagger, based on the Rajput weapon known as the haladie.

5a8bc72359ad8_ScreenShot2018-02-20at5_44_02pm.png.a943b892e1a28f915b97b7e625eb5bff.png

BTW, at an early stage the storm bull warrior was armed with a spear and shield, but we thought Storm Bull above didn't look right mirroring that...

5a8bc918545b3_ScreenShot2018-02-20at5_56_14pm.png.a5ec2b3ff915b653d8a0052751a40747.png

Tried out an axe for Storm Bull instead, but in the end decided Storm Bull just doesn't need weapons, and the fight didn't need to be an exact emulation above and below. 

5a8bc8fc7d0a9_ScreenShot2018-02-20at5_57_26pm.png.f02973a6662695b716c0c7cd6431e270.png

The two-handed sword the Storm Bull hero is wielding is also from India (medieval rather than ancient):

5a8bcc30f35bf_SwordfromAncientIndia.png.69a5612ba62f59aa1c5eab2f9d68c8cc.png

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Lovely art work. I noticed that 13th Age makes the point that their book is open to all Gloranthan artist traditions. This picture for me feels close to dark age Northern Europe, perhaps a bit Viking inspired? Will RQG have a more focused approach to the art, more ancient, feeding off the early RQ2 vibe? 

The GSB is how RQG will look (since I did the art for both).

• Like 5

So, query (apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, good faith attempt to find it did not turn up answer): in what respects does the Glorantha Sourcebook differ from the Guide to Glorantha?

I mean, obviously it's shorter. But what in particular does it include? Is there stuff which isn't in the Guide?

1 hour ago, Warthur said:

So, query (apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, good faith attempt to find it did not turn up answer): in what respects does the Glorantha Sourcebook differ from the Guide to Glorantha?

I mean, obviously it's shorter. But what in particular does it include? Is there stuff which isn't in the Guide?

There is some overlap, of course. But if you've got the Guide and you get the GS then you won't be disappointed. It's a lot more myth-centric than the Guide, and (as well as the amazing art) it certainly has content that isn't in the Guide - e.g. the Redline History of the Lunar Empire.

A couple of excerpts from the introduction ...

The book is more mythological than materialist; within, lands are defined by their goddess and history is the deeds of kings, heroes, and prophets, not economics, agricultural output, or tax revenues.

Some of this material appeared in a draft or partial form in the fourteen issues of Wyrms Footnotes (1976 to 1982). Other material appeared in partial form in King of Sartar or the Guide to Glorantha. However, the material presented here is far more complete than ever published before. 

6 hours ago, Warthur said:

What I noted on G+:

Yes, different from the Guide. Complete overviews of all Elemental pantheons (developed from the material in old WF's, but adding in the Lunars). Complete Redline History of Lunar Empire (some pieces in WF's or Heroes magazines), now with maps by Wane. A short geography based on the land goddesses. Some Dragon Pass history. Some overview of Elder Races.

What @David Scott noted on G+:

If you already own everything including the Guide, the reason to buy this simple - ART, MAPS, DIAGRAMS. There's some stuff you've seen before BUT there's a nice double new page map of Dragon Pass and Prax, the puppeteer troup pic, ten! reliefs from Sartar's palace full of detail, Argrath and his companions, loads of dynasty trees, 4 Kygor Litor Temple friezes, Full page Babeester Gor pic from the cover of HQG - no titles - looks cool, full page fresco from the city of Wonders, the burtae spending out from the spike, full page genealogies with images of all the Gods and spirits - Darkness, Water, Earth, Fire, Air and Moon. Godlearner maps of the underworld side view, oceans side view, Green age, Golden age, Storm age, Great Darkness, Full page picture of ernalda and her family, Yelm Entertains the Lords of the World, Yelm manifesting at the Battle of Night and Day, Yelmalio ambushed by Zorak Zoran at the Hill of Gold, uncloing spearhead, Orlanth and Aroka, A fresco from the Sacred Palace of Nochet depicting the courtship of Ernalda the Earth Mother by Orlanth the Storm God, The destruction of the Spike by the forces of Chaos, The Unholy Trio, Orlanth leading the Lightbringers (includes Ginna Jar), ARKAT the Destroyer, full page of the Red Goddess dances into the night sky, 7 Wane maps, battle of the Four Arrows of Light, Hwarin Dalthippa, Sheng Seleris, Jar-eel with her lover/ bodyguard Beat-Pot Aelwrin (full page), A frieze From the Temple of the Black Arkat at Arkat’s Hold showing the gods, Questers on the Heroplane, Prince Argrath, A Snake Pipe Dancer invoking the draconic powers of their wyter.
Personally it's +Kalin Kadiev's genealogies and Michelle Lockamy's pictures that make this a winner for me (and thats' before I start on the text).

• Like 1