Elder race passions

Zozotroll

I have just about everything ever published for RQ, many in several versions.  So I was not in any rush for Troll pack, or Gods or any of those.  Now, however, after I have seen the creation process, I really want a life path for trolls.  And I am sure that I cant be the only one that wants one for something besides the one in the book.  Any chance for a lifepath book for many more races/cultures?   Yes I know hate chaos 60% hate luners(like there is a difference) 60%.  But the book is just so much cooler than anything I would do.  Or am I just going to have to wait in agony until trollpack slowly works its way up the list?

• Like 1

Instead of recent history, Trollpack has a highly detailed Clan creation system that traces through pre-time and history and creates an individualized "cultural trait pack" for the player's Clan. Then there is an extended "coming of age interview" that reveals each character's personal skill and ability specializations.

Unlike humans, a troll's historical sense tends more towards ancient then recent events. The humans that attacked last fire season are really just an echo of your clan's trials during Gbaji's Bright Empire. Your clan's special Chaos Enemy from the great hunger will be yours as well. All but the most impoverished clans maintain active access to dozens of ancestor spirits who hold grudges going back centuries, that they learned from Thier ancestors in turn whose living memories could have been formed before time itself. 

By and large, the Uz have kept themselves aloof from the "major events" covered by the Core Rulebook char creation. Even when involved, each troll clan would have such a vastly different experience and memory of such events that building a coherent timeline would be impossible. 

For Trolls hanging out with humans, using a subset of the human chart for personal past experience, and the skills and jobs in the Bestiary works just fine. Even the most human-friendly troll isn't going to share any really important cultural secrets with outsiders.

@Zozotroll - I'm still tweaking numbers and whatnot, but will be looking for playtest/feedback at some point well before any public release - keep an eye out for that here, and we can probably get you a preview at that point. (I don't have any useful ETA for when that might happen, though)

• Like 8

On 8/7/2018 at 10:55 PM, boztakang said:

Unlike humans, a troll's historical sense tends more towards ancient then recent events. The humans that attacked last fire season are really just an echo of your clan's trials during Gbaji's Bright Empire. Your clan's special Chaos Enemy from the great hunger will be yours as well. All but the most impoverished clans maintain active access to dozens of ancestor spirits who hold grudges going back centuries, that they learned from Thier ancestors in turn whose living memories could have been formed before time itself. 

Sounds a lot like King of Dragon Pass, but for Trolls. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

27 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Sounds a lot like King of Dragon Pass, but for Trolls. 

You have no idea how much I want to see a King of Dragon Pass for Trolls.

Really can’t wait to see more details on Trolls and Lunars for the new edition. The Sartar materials for HeroQuest are so strong. I really can’t wait to see the current team return to Trolls and finally give the Lunars the sourcebooks they deserve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The God Learner said:

I would expect Dragonewts to have only vaguely comprehensible passions, if recognizable at all. Passions and Geases might be the same to them. 

If they  have passions. They could actually be passionless.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

8 hours ago, The God Learner said:

I would expect Dragonewts to have only vaguely comprehensible passions, if recognizable at all. Passions and Geases might be the same to them. 

They laid the ground work in the Bestiary for how Dragonewts evolve.  They have opposing passions instead of opposing runes.  From the Bestiary:

A crested dragonewt’s personality fluctuates
wildly between being instinctively aggressive and passive,
brave and cowardly, energetic and lazy, stubborn and
docile, and unreliable and dependable. The crested
dragonewt may spend centuries trying to master these
conflicting emotions.

Once they reduce each passion to 0% they then evolve into the next stage of evolution and each stage has a set of five opposing passions.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 4:24 AM, daskindt said:

You have no idea how much I want to see a King of Dragon Pass for Trolls.

Queen of Dagori Inkarth.

Derak the Dark Troll, one of the PCs in an old campaign, was eventually made King of Dagori Inkarth, which he was really pleased about, until he remembered that Dagori Inkarth was a Matriarchy ruled by a council of ancient UzUz, so he had no power but lots of people against him.

• Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

15 hours ago, soltakss said:

Queen of Dagori Inkarth.

Derak the Dark Troll, one of the PCs in an old campaign, was eventually made King of Dagori Inkarth, which he was really pleased about, until he remembered that Dagori Inkarth was a Matriarchy ruled by a council of ancient UzUz, so he had no power but lots of people against him.

Being the favored consort (though there is no marriage per se) of an Uzuz would be the pinnacle of male Troll ambition (unless you're one of those nasty Zorak Zoran boyz).

3 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

Being the favored consort (though there is no marriage per se) of an Uzuz would be the pinnacle of male Troll ambition (unless you're one of those nasty Zorak Zoran boyz).

And the scars you get to show from those love bites... provided you survive them.

On the other hand, being chosen by multiple powerful females to father their children is a different form of ultimate reproductive success. With the uzuz, you cannot be sure that you were really needed to produce that offspring, even if you were the only male attendant.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, boztakang said:

Instead of recent history, Trollpack has a highly detailed Clan creation system that traces through pre-time and history and creates an individualized "cultural trait pack" for the player's Clan. Then there is an extended "coming of age interview" that reveals each character's personal skill and ability specializations.

I think this makes the most sense for trolls, elves, and dwarves - all have much different perspectives than short-lived, violent humans.