Dragonewts, shield use

Estarriol

Hi Estarriol,

This is an opportunity to do what you want in your Glorantha.

In mine, the dragonewts are currently a bit like Samurai, so rarely use shields in one on one combat.

In pitched battles however, facing heavy missile fire, they often use large 'pavise' style shields until they have closed to melee range.

If you are feeling particular Japanese, the dragonewts might have 'Sode' style samurai shoulder guards strapped over their natural scales, which are in effect mini shields!

I am sure you will get some excellent 'Canon' advice on this thread as well, but the key is to go with what feels right in your game.

(For example, at other times my dragonewts are more like Aztec warriors with their obsidian edged club swords, and then they use shields without batting an eyelid !)

Have fun!

Aha! Well, that is a different kettle of saurians.

I think you will need assistance from one of the game designers to 'canonically' extrapolate dragonewt tactics, weapons and armour for mass combat. 

In the old (RQ2) days they had shields. Foot troops would be largely skirmishing crested scouts armed with bows, slings or javelins. They would use short sword and small shield in melee. Most of the beaked warriors would be mounted on demi birds and wielding klanth with medium shield.

Nowadays I am not sure what they would look like when going to war, but I am sure someone 'in the know' will have already thought about this.      

I wouldn't use shields with dragonewt formations. Stick with Klanth and Swordbreaker. If you wanted shields, make them look like the Beast Rune, which is based on the Dragon's Eye.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

17 hours ago, soltakss said:

I wouldn't use shields with dragonewt formations. Stick with Klanth and Swordbreaker. If you wanted shields, make them look like the Beast Rune, which is based on the Dragon's Eye.

My big issue with the Swordbreaker is that it only really works if your enemy helpfully attacks you with appropriate weaponry. Fine against a renaissance swordsman with rapier and main gauche, but poor against the spear and shield combo used in a lot of Gloranthan mass combat.

It is of course possible to play Dragonewts as so alien that they refuse to adapt to the tactics of their opponents; it just doesn't feel right to me.

If you do give them shields, triangular to accommodate a Beast Rune (as per soltakks) looks good, and of course you can always turn the shield the other way up to accommodate a dragonewt rune.

As an aside, I think the RQ3 Vikings supplement gave Viking shields a sword breaker option (where blades had chopped into the side of the shield), so with a bit of imagination your dragonewts' shields could do that as well.     

2 hours ago, Simon Hallett said:

If you do give them shields, triangular to accommodate a Beast Rune (as per soltakks) looks good, and of course you can always turn the shield the other way up to accommodate a dragonewt rune.

Some nice options for shields:  the scale of a True Dragon, a polished piece of obsidian, or possibly a fragment of their own birth egg.

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

Some nice options for shields:  the scale of a True Dragon, a polished piece of obsidian, or possibly a fragment of their own birth egg.

I like the egg idea, if I did them they would be like a large scale (or scales) over a bone/wood frame.

Waiting for Gencon to be over, then can get a proper answer from the Gloranthan sages.

1 hour ago, Estarriol said:

Swordbreakers are lethal to spearmen, same as renaissance bucklers, knock the spear up, step inside the point, stab....

Works fine against one spearman, but not so good against a shield wall. I have tried this (with longsword and sax) and you get skewered by your opponents buddies... 

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I don't think that their eggs leave any fragments when they "hatch" - I doubt they even break the shell.

I can see scales of True Dragons as triangular or kite shields, to cover an advance against missiles, but I think that in melee they will use a sword-breaker or a dart-thrower (think atlatl) in their right hands.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

42 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

So if a dragonewt does have a shell shield then it's on its last ever incarnation.

Or on some other newt's last ever incarnation.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Simon Hallett said:

Works fine against one spearman, but not so good against a shield wall. I have tried this (with longsword and sax) and you get skewered by your opponents buddies... 

So in the massed-combat context, the swordbreaker wouldn't see much use, just as the very-long-pike (3+ ranks deep) wouldn't see much use /outside/ the massed-combat context.

I'm fine with that.

I would hope we'd get enough variety in mini's to see 'newts with swordbreakers and 'newts without...  :)

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/3/2018 at 4:24 PM, jajagappa said:

Some nice options for shields:  ... a fragment of their own birth egg.

At hatching, the Dragonewt uses its egg tooth to, as exquisitely as it is capable, cut its way out of the egg. The details of this ritual depend on type. Somewhat later, the egg tooth falls off, but I have been told it should be saved as it can be unexpectedly useful. 

3 minutes ago, The God Learner said:

At hatching, the Dragonewt uses its egg tooth to, as exquisitely as it is capable, cut its way out of the egg. The details of this ritual depend on type. Somewhat later, the egg tooth falls off, but I have been told it should be saved as it can be unexpectedly useful. 

We know that Dragon's Teeth can be used to raise an entire regiment (i.e. the Dragontooth Runners), so it would not be surprising if something could be done with the tooth of a dragonewt (think of it as a practice experiment).  Of course that may create other unfortunate entanglements in the mundane world!

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, soltakss said:

Dragonewts are probably not very good against a shield wall. When fighting a shield wall they use another tactic, "Fetch the Dragon".

Or bring in the tanks - sorry, I mean triceratops, complete with howdah containing Dragonewt warriors. Stomp stomp stomp. No shield-wall...

On 8/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, soltakss said:

Dragonewts are probably not very good against a shield wall. When fighting a shield wall they use another tactic, "Fetch the Dragon".

LOL!  Although I doubt "fetch" is quite right. Fetching a dragon is probably their best "tactic" in just about any fight. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.