Tarshite Clans

davecake

Assuming it's from Tarsh Proper and not counting the Far Place

The Rugbagian Family (which is active in New Pavis - Pavis: Gateway to Adventure)

The Hendart Clan (later infamous for assassinating Mularik - King of Sartar.  They may also be related to the Hendarli)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davecake said:

We have many mentions of one Tarshite clan - the Orindori, Fazzur's clan - but I can't find any information about any of the others. 

Does anyone have info about any other Tarshite clans?

Tarsh in Flames (Unspoken Word 2001) is worth looking at.

Notes on the History of Tarsh by Greg Stafford mentions a few, some gone, Utaros, Danbailings, Karvenings, Barteri (gone), Tremarki (modern).

Tribes of Tarsh by Mark Galeotti, although not canon is a good starting point for your own game.

Overall worth looking at with, other authors include Simon Bray, @metcalph, Martian Laurie, Wesley Quadros, @MOB(a Jaxarte story), Ian Thompson, @Ian Cooper, Roderick Robertson, there is also story by Greg called De Garavum, about Shaker Temple.

It seems to have two different covers @blackyinkin?

https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/69304/tarsh-flames

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

Notes on the History of Tarsh by Greg Stafford mentions a few, some gone, Utaros, Danbailings, Karvenings, Barteri (gone), Tremarki (modern).

The Uitaros and the Bateri (tribes rather than clans) are shown on the Wane Maps of the Glorantha Sourcebook.

• Like 1

Thank you David, I had forgotten about Tarsh in Flames, and somehow missed it on my initial scan. I've found my copy now. 

I notice it mentions a planned Tarsh Liberated! book to be release by Issaries Inc. set in the 1630s. I wonder if any trace of that project survives, or who might have been working on it? 

6 minutes ago, davecake said:

I notice it mentions a planned Tarsh Liberated! book to be release by Issaries Inc. set in the 1630s. I wonder if any trace of that project survives, or who might have been working on it? 

Simon may remember @blackyinkin

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

While I'm at it, anyone have any info on the magical units of the Tarsh Exiles military from Dragon Pass, besides what is in Tarsh In Flames? That is the Old School, Moon Haters and Baron's Friends units in particular. 

Which Baron? Mularik? 

Tarsh In Flames implies the magicians of the Old School are anti-Hon-Eel Earth cultists, and the Moon Haters are tribal warriors (which doesn't really explain why they are magicians).

Also, the Twins - the Exiles hero unit - the twin children of Arim returned, or something else?

• 5 months later...

Sadly Tarsh Liberated is a project long gone and forgotten.

In relation to the two covers, it was cheaper to do the reprint with a monochrome cover, Tarsh in Flames sold out so quickly we had to do a rapid turn around reprint.

Tarsh in Flames was always a project I loved - especially working with Greg. Note that the map of furthest was done in direct contact with Greg - he provided the original drawings and the majority of the street names (the position of the temples to the streets was vital to him).

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, davecake said:

Moon Haters are tribal warriors (which doesn't really explain why they are magicians).

Mixture of canon, possible non-canon and supposition:

Moon Haters

Type

Magical Cavalry

Notes

Worship Mitchuinn

Magic Factor

Medium

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

The Moon Haters are drawn from the Mitchuinni tribe.

Mitchuinn Moonhater was an Orlanthi Hero from Dara-ni who was a member of the Kynnelfing Alliance which fought Hwarin Dalthippa.

He formed a War Clan that harried the Lunar Empire at every opportunity.

After his death, refugees from the Alliance went south into Tarsh and his clan grew to become a powerful tribe which continued to fight the empire, being present at the Battle of the Falling Hills in 1362. When Tarsh was riven by civil war, they joined the Tarsh Exiles.

Mitchuinn gives his followers powerful magics against the Red Goddess and her worshipers, with the condition that their transactions with the empire have the sole aim of its destruction.

The Twins

Type

Heroes

Magic Factor

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

The Twins are the reborn Earth Twins of Old Tarsh, King Varstapoor and his sister Vestenbora. Together they are the Shaker Twins who can bring down hills and shake the earth.

As you know, I'm seeking information about the others.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 8:45 PM, metcalph said:

The Uitaros and the Bateri (tribes rather than clans) are shown on the Wane Maps of the Glorantha Sourcebook.

They also disappear as tribes at some point in the Third Wane. Lunar Tarsh is not organised along tribal lines. The cities serve as administrative centres for the local region - and have effectively replaced the old tribes. Clans continue to endure, of course, but they are much less geographically defined.

Wearing my Creative Director hat, this is a complaint I have with a lot of material submitted to us - names get used because they appeared many centuries or even millennia before. Tribes and political entities disappear in Glorantha. All of the old Heortling tribes disappeared in the early Second Age - not because the people disappeared, but because those tribes no longer served a useful purpose and were supplanted by something else. Now old names do get recycled - some Lhankor Mhy scholars insist on calling the Grazelands "Koroltesland" or Sartar "Orgorvaltesland" or "Storn" or whatever, just as Magyarország gets called Hungary by outsiders and in the early modern era literary pundits called the area "Pannonia." 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, blackyinkin said:

Sadly Tarsh Liberated is a project long gone and forgotten.

In relation to the two covers, it was cheaper to do the reprint with a monochrome cover, Tarsh in Flames sold out so quickly we had to do a rapid turn around reprint.

Tarsh in Flames was always a project I loved - especially working with Greg. Note that the map of furthest was done in direct contact with Greg - he provided the original drawings and the majority of the street names (the position of the temples to the streets was vital to him).

Is it still possible to get Tarsh in flames? I looked on Chaosium, Amazon, eBay and it's nowhere to be seen :(

7 hours ago, jps said:

Tarsh in flames?

It was printed by Unspoken Word (as were a few other publications). Effectively a fanzine, though of good quality. Those ceased publication by 2005 and are not available through any site/store. eBay likely the only source.

18 hours ago, jps said:

Is it still possible to get Tarsh in flames? I looked on Chaosium, Amazon, eBay and it's nowhere to be seen :(

@blackyinkin = The Unspoken Word. Simon, any plans to re-release any UW products as PDFs...

-----