Ral-zak-ark?

PhilHibbs

Splitting off into a new thread in order to avoid topic drift.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:57 PM, jeffjerwin said:

"The similarities of names _can't_ be coincidence, knowing how Greg's mind works."

I wonder if anyone's figured out what is up with Hardral, Balarzak, and Arkat, all of whom went into Dorastor, and then later on we get Ralzakark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I wonder if anyone's figured out what is up with Hardral, Balarzak, and Arkat, all of whom went into Dorastor, and then later on we get Ralzakark.

And there's Atarks, the part of Rashoran(a) who was castrated.

Also called Extark and Goakstart...

More:

The Goakstart is said to have slain the Overseer of the Red Camp, Venarthurd, and turned him into a mountain. This 'Red Camp' was due west of Yuthuppa, and is clearly the Red City, Karantes, whose ruler was sacrificed by Natha at Mount Jernotius, which is obviously the mountain. Thus the Goakstart is closely connected to the Naverian myth-cycle, but from a masculine perspective. She represents all that is terrifying to the patriarch.

Edited by jeffjerwin

On 10/17/2018 at 6:11 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I just assumed that Greg was as bad as thinking up names as the rest of us.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

27 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I just assumed that Greg was as bad as thinking up names as the rest of us.

Corflu?  Nochet?  Ummm... 

No idea where you got the idea Greg was bad at making up names!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Hard-; Balar-; -at

Ral; Zak; Ark

you mean?

Sounds like stolen bits of soul to me: a Chaos thing that learns to mimic human-ness by stealing rather than by consuming.

• Like 2

We actually know a quite a bit about Ralzakark, some from one of Greg's unpublished documents called Before the Moon, I put a pic of it up on G+ three years ago I'm putting it here as G+ will go: https://plus.google.com/+DavidScottmasteroftheuniverse/posts/G2UzHRoKCEP

Today's cover is from Greg's 1993 booklet - "Before the Moon" - the cover says it all. All the 124 pages of  content have been published in some place or other.I don't think this was ever auctioned and only a few copies exist. 

image.png.dbf25b6762fda586a45f552b614369b5.png

In are the back are Talastar Papers, they are outline notes and text before they were edited and structured. The gist of Ralazkark is:

• He was alive in the First Age and Second Ages (see Arcane Lore p 78), but not called Ralzakark.
  • He was with Nysalor for his whole "reign", but not called Ralzakark.
  • He slowly turned into his current form(s).
  • He was at the battle of the Glittering tower against Arkat.
  • He is mention in the context of being a demigod (in the Guide) that didn't die in the final battle.
  • Buried when the Tower of Justice was compressed beneath the earth at what is Fort Wrath.
  • someone awakes him around 750

look at the Fort Wrath entry in the Guide and Dorastor Land of Doom for the rest.

This also has some info:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061030055703/http://www.heroquest-rpg.com/support/qa/immortals.html

Ultimately look in the Hero Wars section in the Guide for his destiny.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Maybe it is far too soon, but is there any chance at all of getting PDF copies of the unpublished stuff that Greg Stafford was working on? 

I know that it would take a lot of work to turn them into Stafford Encyclopedia-quality works, but just scanning them and making them available might be possible.

After all, raiding JRR Tolkien's waste paper bin has kept his son in gainful employment for years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

15 hours ago, soltakss said:

Maybe it is far too soon, but is there any chance at all of getting PDF copies of the unpublished stuff that Greg Stafford was working on? 

I know that it would take a lot of work to turn them into Stafford Encyclopedia-quality works, but just scanning them and making them available might be possible.

I too would welcome something like "The Stafford Legacy" with those old stories - possibly unedited, possibly annotated with current canon from the Guide.

It can be an exercise in frustration unless you like unfinished fragments. And you could have hoary scholarly debates about the minutiae in those.

Generally, the stories I have read or listened to have been shock full of interesting concepts and outdated/noncanonical yet cool ones.

I have recently re-read the Hrestol's Saga fragments I managed to get for big bucks decades ago at Convulsion. It isn't quite an in-world document, but it might be made into one with a few twists. I have no idea whether it is possible to edit it in a way that it could be a forbidden yet popular romance in Rokari Seshnela. Although it might be possible to use it framed in the story of a reader and researcher persecuted by the Rokari watchers, and his interactions with modern Seshnela.

But that requires someone quite talented to write a framing story worthy of that original as prose. As a scenario... maybe.

15 hours ago, soltakss said:

After all, raiding JRR Tolkien's waste paper bin has kept his son in gainful employment for years.

And I thought we wouldn't talk about waste baskets any more...

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd5/1997.07/0100.html

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

34 minutes ago, Joerg said:

And I thought we wouldn't talk about waste baskets any more...

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd5/1997.07/0100.html

Ah, but that is Tolkein's waste paper bin, completely different to Greg's works in progress. 😉

On 10/20/2018 at 6:47 PM, soltakss said:

They are out there already the 15 volume "Roots of Glorantha" series of unpublished Gloranthan monographs written by Greg Stafford. Each printed volume is approximate100 pages in length were part of the Guide Kickstarter. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

They are out there already the 15 volume "Roots of Glorantha" series of unpublished Gloranthan monographs written by Greg Stafford. Each printed volume is approximate100 pages in length were part of the Guide Kickstarter. 

Oh wow! Are they available anywhere separately? How relevant are they to the lore as it presently stands?

On 10/19/2018 at 12:49 PM, g33k said:

Nochet?

Someone (and I don't remember who) once told me that this name came about when Greg was asked if he had a name for this city.  And his response was a very quick "Not Yet" which sounded very much like "Nochet" and it stuck.  Anyone able to confirm if this piece of lore is true or not?

1 hour ago, Skovari said:

Someone (and I don't remember who) once told me that this name came about when Greg was asked if he had a name for this city.  And his response was a very quick "Not Yet" which sounded very much like "Nochet" and it stuck.  Anyone able to confirm if this piece of lore is true or not?

See:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/7475-nochet-pronunciation/?do=findComment&comment=104765

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/22/2018 at 4:00 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

How relevant are they to the lore as it presently stands?

Not very, most of the info has appeared already, the rest when a western book appears. They are nice to browse. Occasionally we have had an odd snippet of his notes appear, which no one had seen before. For example, I had the only copy of the end of the closing map, that went straight into the guide. There are a few odds and ends, but they wouldn’t make into a useful format in their current form, eg there is handwritten list of “spare ideas and pieces” for Nomad gods, of the 25 or so names, most are used elsewhere, the remaining cool ones will be in the Prax book. The roots of Glorantha series aren’t ocrd, as pdfs they would just be high quality scans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

15 minutes ago, David Scott said:

The roots of Glorantha series aren’t ocrd, as pdfs they would just be high quality scans. 

"High quality" has to come with the caveat that they are high quality scans of low quality documents! Mostly done on a wonky old typewriter, with handwritten corrections and crossings out, some words entirely illegible, and there clearly are entire pages missing, some stories just stop in the middle of a sentence.

• Thanks 1

The sources I have seen usually require an annotated transcription rather than an OCR (and interlaced typewriter used to be a pain in the posterior to submit to automated OCR, no idea how much this has improved along with the scanners now that OCR software isn't included in the OEM software of said scanners any more).

On the other hand, the typed manuscripts are rather low in the word count, and typing them in is a fairly leisurely process unless you have to deal with genealogical charts or map labels.

Some later work-in-progress documents like the earliest (pre Glorious ReAscent) versions of the Lunar Book are in considerably better shape, having been produced on word processors.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 10/21/2018 at 11:24 PM, David Scott said:

Thanks, not much use to those of us who only buy PDFs though.