Battle of Hender's Ruins

Jeff

I've gotten a few questions about the details of Argrath Whitebull defeat by the Lunar College of Magic in 1625. Here they are:

Argrath Whitebull and his Praxian horde march on the New Lunar Temple. While camped near Hender’s Ruins, the Lunar College of Magic summoned the Chaos Terror Cwim and set it upon the White Bull’s army, while hurling magic from a great distance.  The nomads were slaughtered; the survivors retreated to Pavis, where Argrath began to assemble a new army.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Argrath Whitebull and his Praxian horde march on the New Lunar Temple. While camped near Hender’s Ruins, the Lunar College of Magic summoned the Chaos Terror Cwim and set it upon the White Bull’s army, while hurling magic from a great distance.  The nomads were slaughtered; the survivors retreated to Pavis, where Argrath began to assemble a new army.

When did that happen? Sometime in Sea Season?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, metcalph said:

So Cwm is the demon described by the Composite History of Dragon Pass as having "two arms, and an extra one"?  That is almost Nysaloran...

Yep! But no wonder the White Bull got defeated there - Cwim is terrifying!

From the Guide:

Cwim has three bodies, attached by the necks to a single huge head. Each body stands about 50 feet tall at the shoulder and the head itself is about 60 feet across.

There's a pretty cool Cwim model coming in The Gods War.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, metcalph said:

So Cwm is the demon described by the Composite History of Dragon Pass as having "two arms, and an extra one"?  That is almost Nysaloran...

It is also written up in Elder Secrets, for RQ3.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The description of Cwim in the Bestiary gives it 3 arms and 3 claws. So it does 'kinda' have 2 and an extra. Though the hit location table refers to each body having a left and a right arm... So maybe it doesn't. Or maybe "It's Chaos, innit?"

Also, the battle has a lot (like 25% because it's a +5 to a D20 roll unless you're Lunar Tarsh, and the result comes up on a 20+) of the PCs who survive driven mad by Lunar demons, so Cwim was backed up by some serious 'sendings', which might actually have decreased the casualties Cwim inflicted...

I am also interested in what "demon that had many sharp mouths" was "let out of its skin" to do for Broyan and company.

3 hours ago, womble said:

The description of Cwim in the Bestiary gives it 3 arms and 3 claws. So it does 'kinda' have 2 and an extra. Though the hit location table refers to each body having a left and a right arm... So maybe it doesn't. Or maybe "It's Chaos, innit?"

Also, the battle has a lot (like 25% because it's a +5 to a D20 roll unless you're Lunar Tarsh, and the result comes up on a 20+) of the PCs who survive driven mad by Lunar demons, so Cwim was backed up by some serious 'sendings', which might actually have decreased the casualties Cwim inflicted...

I am also interested in what "demon that had many sharp mouths" was "let out of its skin" to do for Broyan and company.

The latter demon was actually a Darkness/Hell spirit that the Kitori sent after him. Clearly not chaos. Its remit was to punish those who didn't pay the Shadow Tribute. 

5 hours ago, womble said:

ARg. You're right. I read the previous page where it describes "Tom [and Dick and Harry]'s Claw" .

So no, Cwim doesn't fit the Sourcebook description very well at all.

Sure it does. Each body is its "arm". If you look at Cwim from a distance, it looks like a three limbed thing.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Sure it does. Each body is its "arm". If you look at Cwim from a distance, it looks like a three limbed thing.

But those 'limbs', from a distance (which truly is the only way you ever want to see them!), seem to operate more like legs (from the description of its means of locomotion) than arms...

2 minutes ago, womble said:

But those 'limbs', from a distance (which truly is the only way you ever want to see them!), seem to operate more like legs (from the description of its means of locomotion) than arms...

Given that the descriptions in CHDP are likely third-hand at best, I find that to be one of the less misleading descriptions in an intentionally unreliable text! 

• Like 4