Eleven Lights

Pentallion

Once RQG came out, we began the Eleven Lights campaign by Ian Cooper and Jeff Richards.  We've gotten to 1622 and I've gotta say Wow!  This is a job well done.  I remember back in the 80's when Borderlands got a fantastic review in Dragon magazine.  I can't even begin to imagine what kind of rave review Eleven Lights would have gotten back then.

There'd be people who no longer had lower jaws.  They'd have just dropped right off.

If you don't own it, buy it.  It's absolutely the best Chaosium has ever had to offer and that's saying a lot.  If I had one complaint and I always do, Ian can attest to it because I shared it with him before Eleven Lights even came out, it's that the Dragonrise Heroquest isn't in there.

Yeah, I'm THAT greedy.

But hey, it feels like it's leading up to it and the PCs should be a part of it.  But that aside, this is the best campaign money can buy and I feel there should be credit where credit is due.

Thank you.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, drablak said:

@Pentallion thanks for the feedback, I will certainly look into it. I see it is for HQ, is It hard to translate into RQG?

HQ is extremely rules-light in its setting and campaign books. The work will be in making RQ stats, which are pretty easy to extrapolate. My practice with HQ > RQ (or any other system) is just to borrow an NPCs stats that mostly fits from some other published material. The GM Pack, for instance, or RuneMasters, or many other sources... Minor characters can be hand waved as 30% (apprentice), 60% journeyman, 90% master or some such for relevant skills.

• Like 1

I think @jeffjerwin nails it.

HQ is a very-narrativist mechanic from noted game-designer Robin Laws (who's a strong advocate for narrative game mechanics); you won't "convert" HQ NPC's (and pre-gens, if any?) so much as replace them.

It's almost like RQ game-masters (and I guess 13G game masters, too...?) can regard HQ sourcebooks as adventure/campaign books without any stat-blocks included, and borrow suitable stat-blocks from other RQ (or 13G?) sourcebooks, possibly re-fluffing as-needed.  Or build them from scratch under RQG rules; or just hand-wave whatever RQ rules "feel right".

There are, I believe, a few quirks and quibbles between the mechanics of each system, rendering SOME storylines harder to convert... but note that @Pentallion reports 11L as " the best campaign money can buy" and he's writing in the RQG context ... evidently it converts well!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Yes thanks, I've researched a bit and this (and the companion "The Coming Storm") seem very good. I like the concept of starting in 1618 and adventuring to RQG's starting point of 1625. It will also help me understand the recent history better. It's on its way to me for Christmas... :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 7:10 AM, Pentallion said:

Once RQG came out, we began the Eleven Lights campaign by Ian Cooper and Jeff Richards.  We've gotten to 1622 and I've gotta say Wow!  This is a job well done.  I remember back in the 80's when Borderlands got a fantastic review in Dragon magazine.  I can't even begin to imagine what kind of rave review Eleven Lights would have gotten back then.

There'd be people who no longer had lower jaws.  They'd have just dropped right off.

If you don't own it, buy it.  It's absolutely the best Chaosium has ever had to offer and that's saying a lot.  If I had one complaint and I always do, Ian can attest to it because I shared it with him before Eleven Lights even came out, it's that the Dragonrise Heroquest isn't in there.

Thank you.

And we are working on that. I even had a conversation with @Jeff about some material for the Sky Ship before that in the pub before Dragonmeet. I have photos of the notes we made in his book 🙂

• Like 6

And thank you both! I read Pentallion's review and immediately bought the pdf. Have not had a chance to read a lot of it but I really enjoyed Red Cow despite never having played HQ (played RQ since '85). Knowing how much fun I had with RQ 2 and 3 I know I will enjoy RQ RiG just as much, and it is nice to know that the game that kept Glorantha alive throughout the dark days after RQ 3 collapsed still has much to give even to those who do not play it.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 12/8/2018 at 8:10 AM, Pentallion said:

If you don't own it, buy it.  It's absolutely the best Chaosium has ever had to offer and that's saying a lot. 

This is quite correct. Easily one of the top ten published RPG campaigns of all times.

My one gripe is that I want it extended a few years into the future - it leaves plot threads like the fate of the Telmori and the return of the Aurochs dangling. That said, I'm sure a third book could be published...

• Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 8:07 PM, g33k said:

I think @jeffjerwin nails it.

HQ is a very-narrativist mechanic from noted game-designer Robin Laws (who's a strong advocate for narrative game mechanics); you won't "convert" HQ NPC's (and pre-gens, if any?) so much as replace them.

One of the things about HQ is that it's all but statless for NPCs and opposition. So while you don't get any RQ stats, at least it's not wasting any space with stats you won't be using either.

• Like 2

Since we're singing Ian Cooper's praise here, does anyone know if the upcoming Fonrit book (which sounds like a fantastic idea) will be just a setting book (like The Coming Storm) or also either have campaign/adventuring material (like The Eleven Lights) either included or as a separate book? Fonrit has a great Hero Wars plotline, after all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

This is quite correct. Easily one of the top ten published RPG campaigns of all times.

My one gripe is that I want it extended a few years into the future - it leaves plot threads like the fate of the Telmori and the return of the Aurochs dangling. That said, I'm sure a third book could be published...

As far as I know it will be published ...

• Like 4

I'm reeeeealy picky about dead tree purchases at this point in my life. My shelf space is mostly spoken for. Adding things probably means getting rid of something else.

I bought both Red Cow volumes in hardback.

Edited by JonL
  • Like 6

On 1/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Akhôrahil said:

Since we're singing Ian Cooper's praise here, does anyone know if the upcoming Fonrit book (which sounds like a fantastic idea) will be just a setting book (like The Coming Storm) or also either have campaign/adventuring material (like The Eleven Lights) either included or as a separate book? Fonrit has a great Hero Wars plotline, after all.

Too early to tell. But most likely it might be divided like that. It's likely that for that book we will need to figure out how to support HQG and RQG effectively.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 6:59 PM, Ian Cooper said:

Thank you.

And we are working on that. I even had a conversation with @Jeff about some material for the Sky Ship before that in the pub before Dragonmeet. I have photos of the notes we made in his book 🙂

Excuse me for necroing this thread, but I would certainly be interested in any notes made on this (or pics of them). I am just now buying both hardbacks, and am planning to run it with RQG. So any conversion/planning notes or anything like it hemping in this would really be appreciated! 

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx