Chalana Arroy's Mirror

Martin

From the LBQ we read the following about Chalana Arroy:

"When a demon attacked them, she used Her mirror to drive It off. Great Ungaron let the Lightbringers pass unmolested for Her sake"

Does anyone know anything more about the Mirror of Chalana Arroy?

2 hours ago, Martin said:

"When a demon attacked them, she used Her mirror to drive It off. Great Ungaron let the Lightbringers pass unmolested for Her sake"

Sounds like the power of harmony, where the image and the original are the same. And the mirror image may very well be temporary reality rather than just a reflection, so the demon may have backed off itself.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Sounds like a Magic Item rather than a power of Chalana Arroy. I can see HeroQuestors questing for the power of Chalana Arroy's Mirror and gaining Runespells or Spirit Magic on the back of it. It might even be a Magic Item Subcult of Chalana Arroy in some places.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I agree with Joerg, sounds like a Harmony Rune Power, but I'd add that it sounds a lot like an Infinity Rune Power at the same time.

Don't agree with soltakss in his suggestion that it's a magic item, though certainly one could try as a HeroQuester to make just such an item for use in the world. Fundamentally, I'd regard this as Chalana Arroy as being herself the Mirror, and BTW that would be consistent with the more alchemical aspects of her healing power. In that respect, she can manifest as the healthy imago of an unhealthy creature.

I do nevertheless agree that this could, locally, be "a Magic Item Subcult of Chalana Arroy in some places".

My mind went to a fantasy novel I read once, where a character had the ability to project people's "true self" back at them, which was often a deeply uncomfortable situation for the more morally compromised individuals, as they were forced to experience themselves the way their victims etc. had before. I guess that's more of a Truth rune thing than Harmony, although you could make the argument that by aligning self-perception and perception by others, it is creating Harmony, and constitutes a form of healing, albeit a deeply uncomfortable one, even if only initially.

49 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

My mind went to a fantasy novel I read once, where a character had the ability to project people's "true self" back at them, which was often a deeply uncomfortable situation for the more morally compromised individuals, as they were forced to experience themselves the way their victims etc. had before. I guess that's more of a Truth rune thing than Harmony, although you could make the argument that by aligning self-perception and perception by others, it is creating Harmony, and constitutes a form of healing, albeit a deeply uncomfortable one, even if only initially.

Yeah, that seems more a Truth thing to me. In fact it reminds me a lot of "Elmal Guards the Stead" (which happens to be fresh in my mind right now), where Elmal defeats the shape-shifting Teller of Lies by going inside of it and revealing that there its true form is Nothing, that there is only emptiness inside.

Edited by Leingod

Mirrors occur in many forms in mythology, normally they are actual physical things rather than powers themselves, but they can be things that reflect, like water. Some of the magic of mirrors is that they show the true self / form of those reflected in them and as such can drive monsters off. Have a look a Melong mirrors in Bon / Tibetan Buddhism as an example. Her mirror could also not be the form you expect, perhaps polished bronze from the bones of a dead god, or even a small polished shield providing a reflection of magic thrown at her.

This particular passage for me would prey on the demon’s soul showing it something about itself that it would not expect to be. In RQG I’d suggest those that who own one can get +20% in spirit dance, so can escape spirit encounters even without the skill. Id suggest that it’s a making secret of a particular chalana arroy hero and costs a point of POW to enchant.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Showing a corrupted creature what it could have been without chaos, how it could be liberated from pain and hate if it renounced chaos, what it would have been had it taken a different path, a glimpse of its healed self, could be deeply confusing.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, Martin said:

This sounds like a Sun Pantheon link.  Chalana Arroy is almost the same as the Sun Pantheon healer Erissa to the point where the God Learners tried to unite them I believe.  Mirrors reflect light.  It clearly can't be a reference to the rune spell reflection, as that would be a means by which initiates would be inflicting damage on other sentients potentially.  I could imagine the encouther going down like:

Great Ungaron:  Turn back interlopers!  None shall passs here!

Chalana Arroy:  Oh dear oh dear!  This is terrible!

GU:  Yes! Tremble before my might!

CA:  No, you misunderstand me you poor thing.  You look awful.

GU:  I am awful!  I am the sum of all your fears!

CA: Well that explains it then, as mainly I fear other people getting horribly sick.  I'm a healer you see.  Do you feel alright?

GU:  I feel fine.  Never better.  How dare you insinuate...

CA:  Please I am not trying to insult you, but have you seen yourself in a mirror recently?

GU: Well no but...

CA:  Please have a look.  Those bloodshot yellow eyes.  Awful.  Do you have pains in your lower back?

GU: Sometimes but...

CA: I thought so.  There is probably something wrong with your liver.  Did you fight someone who uses poison recently?

GU: Maybe...Oh, those scorpion men.  You mean...

CA: Look that is only the beginning.  Those terrible fangs, how can you eat properly?  They must be very inconvenient, and likely they hurt you too, you could bite right through your own lip.  And those terrible claws, you could cut yourself open and bleed out if you get an itch.  And your skin, it is so scaly and dry, there is a lot I could do to treat that you know.  You would be feeling so much better in no time.  Have you been feeling irritable and out of sorts?  Hostile to people you don't even know?

GU: Yes but my job description...

CA: Terrible working conditions.  I understand.  Look at this place, it's a veritable hell cave.  I don't know who is employing you but things will have to change.  Your health is at stake here.  I am seriously worried that you are so sick you could be dying, I mean, you're already in the underworld, and that is not a good sign is it?  We really need to get you to a place of medical care and respite as soon as possible.  Is there one nearby?  If not, get yourself to my healing spring and my healers will take care of you, for free mind you.  You are obviously a busy and important fellow.  You really need to get there very soon though.

GU:  Yes, of course.  Can I go now?

CA:  Please.  I insist.  You really must.  You are very sick indeed.

GU:  Thank you so much miss, I really had no idea.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, Martin said:

It sounds as if Great Ungaron is the demon in question. It let them pass "for her sake", which suggests to me that her Mirror in some way enabled her to convert the demon from foe to friend. That very much sounds like Harmony magic, such as Reassure Stranger. In some way, the Mirror showed Ungaron that it and Chalana Arroy were the same, wanted the same thing, or suffered in the same way. Perhaps Ungaron is a manifestation of the world's pain, and by showing it that she felt that pain, she showed it that they were friends. 

• Like 1