Trolls & "Bugs"

g33k

Trolls have long been associated with insects.  What about the other arthropods, not technically insects?  Spiders?  Scorpions?  Centipedes & millipedes?

What about the watery ones, crabs & crayfish &c?

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, g33k said:

Trolls have long been associated with insects.  What about the other arthropods, not technically insects?  Spiders?  Scorpions?  Centipedes & millipedes?

What about the watery ones, crabs & crayfish &c?

If you visit Crabtown you'll find plenty of evidence of the relationship of trolls to crabs - and spiders, stingworms etc. Mostly giant crabs, spiders and stingworms.

The best source is probably the original Trollpak, or the AH Into the Troll Realms.

1 minute ago, M Helsdon said:

Spiders?

Yes, Aranea is the Mother of Spiders and identified as a troll-related goddess way back in the RQ3 Troll Gods publication (and maybe before that too).

Kropa, if I remember correctly, is the Mother of Arthropods, and also has trollish associations.

I don't recall if there was any Scorpion association other than Bagog, who fell to Chaos.

7 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

The best source is probably the original Trollpak, or the AH Into the Troll Realms.

I am -- shockingly! -- still waiting to get my very first copy of Trollpak (via the RQClassic KS).  It's beginning to feel like it may be a race between the StretchGoal, and @boztakang's new Trollpack <whimpers piteously> ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Krolar is the troll Scorpion-god. Swems the goddess of worms, and Molukka mollusks. 

Arthropods and mollusks exist on a spectrum of Darkness and Water association... the Darkness ones will hang out with Uz, and the Water ones with merfolk, with plenty of overlap. 

@g33k - Moer Uz Moer better! We are all doing our best to fully satisfy your darkest hungers asap.

Edited by boztakang

2 hours ago, boztakang said:

Krolar is the troll Scorpion-god. Swems the goddess of worms, and Molukka mollusks. 

Arthropods and mollusks exist on a spectrum of Darkness and Water association... the Darkness ones will hang out with Uz, and the Water ones with merfolk, with plenty of overlap. 

@g33k - Moer Uz Moer better! We are all doing our best to fully satisfy your darkest hungers asap.

The Glorantha Sourcebook (which is heavily presented as a combination of Lhankorite documents based on God Learner theories) mention the goddess "Tholaina" (p.83-84) Tholaina is described as a daughter of Triolina (the goddess of and ancestress of all life in waters, allegedly) and Hykim (father of beasts). Her different descendants are ordered into elemental alignments based on her partners. Presumably this means something along the lines that water-worms came from a union with Swem, and arthropods with some masculine version of the darkness goddess of arthropods - or gender vice versa (gender might also be irrelevant, this probably happened early on in the God Time, or maybe in the beginning of the Lesser Darkness).

Granted, these are God Learner schemas, so they're intentionally "too straightforward".

Is anyone able to explain to me why Gorakiki Ant isn't a more major cult?  I was looking over the Gorakiki write-up while proof reading RuneQuest: Gods of Glorantha and noted the absence of ants.  You'd think that such a social insect with such hauling strength would be a trollish must-have, surely?

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 5:40 PM, Baelor said:

I have had an idea about a band of ant-riding warrior trollkin aping the Praxian way of life

Reading Troll Gods again closely makes me think Gorakiki survives within modern uz culture as a kind of parallel to hsunchen practices at the base and around the fringes of more sophisticated human culture. The totems are the totems, available to anyone with the right shamanic contacts. Most "mainstream" uz totems happen to be the bugs, although there are human bug lycanthropes in the jungle as well as timinits who might once have functioned as go-betweens or even been the source of the bug gospel once upon a time.

In this model any trollkin who can make the right shamanic contact can probably start a gorakiki "beast rider" cult and leave a weird epic behind.

I think the absence of Ant among the mainstream gorakiki is a clue to a horrible mystery / scandal that the grandmothers wouldn't want me talking about. There are "ant hsunchen" but they aren't very nice.

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

5 hours ago, scott-martin said:

I think the absence of Ant among the mainstream gorakiki is a clue to a horrible mystery / scandal that the grandmothers wouldn't want me talking about. There are "ant hsunchen" but they aren't very nice.

Obviously they stole food from Kyger Litor's picnic.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2