PhilHibbs

Vishi Dunn

On 2/21/2019 at 7:57 AM, Jason Durall said:

This cannot be emphasized enough. 

If you want to play a combatant, then Vishi Dunn, an assistant shaman, is a poor choice.

His preferred ranged combat tactic is to point at something and say "Cousin Monkey, go kill that."

His best combat option is to entangle a foe with his pole lasso and have Cousin Monkey take that foe out with his spear. 

This sort of information (written just like this) should be provided along with the stats for pregen characters. Players who are new to RQ (especially in a con scenario) should be given explicit, practical guidance on how to make effective use of their character, especially when modern gamers largely have no experience with game systems like RQG. Why risk disappointing a potential customer because they can't figure out what makes Vishi Dunn interesting to play? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EpicureanDM said:

This sort of information (written just like this) should be provided along with the stats for pregen characters. Players who are new to RQ (especially in a con scenario) should be given explicit, practical guidance on how to make effective use of their character, especially when modern gamers largely have no experience with game systems like RQG. Why risk disappointing a potential customer because they can't figure out what makes Vishi Dunn interesting to play? 

This is not my experience of running con scenarios with new players. I actually use the pregens in place of the provided adventurers in one of our con scenarios. Out of the choice of characters, Vishi Dun is popular, new players often go for "assistant shaman (spirit magician) on giant llama with baboon sidekick". I show them the pictures and have large standees of them. Yanioth and Vostor are essential for the scenario, so aren't included, but the others in order of popularity:

Harmast - "Trader and farmer. When talk fails he can fight. Rides a zebra"

Vishi Dun - "Spirit magician on giant llama with baboon sidekick"

Vasana - "Armoured warrior woman who rides a bison"

Sorala - "Sorcerous scholarly woman in search of new lore"

Nathem - "Stealthy hunter who can turn into a bear. Has a hunting cat.

Most just want to play and have fun, so providing more than a character sheet is too much info. I provide an extra page with the magic and its %s clearly visible.

@Jason Durall the joy of Cousin Monkey is:

Follower (Boon Companion): An intelligent baboon called Cousin Monkey, an unapologetic coward.

He mostly refuses to fight, Vishi must often force him to help and he's not that good at it. This is one of my favourite roleplaying parts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Scott said:

This is not my experience of running con scenarios with new players. I actually use the pregens in place of the provided adventurers in one of our con scenarios. Out of the choice of characters, Vishi Dun is popular, new players often go for "assistant shaman (spirit magician) on giant llama with baboon sidekick". I show them the pictures and have large standees of them. Yanioth and Vostor are essential for the scenario, so aren't included, but the others in order of popularity:

Most just want to play and have fun, so providing more than a character sheet is too much info. I provide an extra page with the magic and its %s clearly visible.

I defer to your experience, which obviously differs from that of the OP. However, I don't see any conflict between having fun and providing guidance to brand new players on how the RQ system contains some interesting mechanical options that might not be obvious to D&D players. Providing an extra page with magic and %'s doesn't seem like the same thing I'm advocating for. I could be wrong, so if you shared the contents of one of those extra pages, I'd have a better idea of where you're coming from.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, David Scott said:

@Jason Durall the joy of Cousin Monkey is:

He mostly refuses to fight, Vishi must often force him to help and he's not that good at it. This is one of my favourite roleplaying parts. 

Why are Yanioth and Vostor more essential than the other adventurers.
(I'm asking this in the context of the Quickstart adventure The Broken Tower, which may not be the scenario, that you have in mind ...)

12 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Why are Yanioth and Vostor more essential than the other adventurers.
(I'm asking this in the context of the Quickstart adventure The Broken Tower, which may not be the scenario, that you have in mind ...)

This for one of our con scenarios, Stealing the Eye. 

16 hours ago, EpicureanDM said:

I could be wrong, so if you shared the contents of one of those extra pages, I'd have a better idea of where you're coming from.

The extra sheets are rather boring and just contain magic info, nothing else. However laying it out large give players a superficial understanding of their magic powers. In this case many who play Sorala cast Solace of the Logical Mind for 20-40 mins, but then loose out on Passion augments. This turns out to be a good trade off...

1629754084_SoralaMagic.png.2ca28d051e4191d9a404580aa807f24f.png

12 hours ago, Oracle said:

Why are Yanioth

In the Broken Tower, Yanioth's ability to engage with the Earth goddess or to utilize Inviolable to counter Fear or Demoralize spells (including Idrima's Faceless Gaze) is really invaluable. She's also strong at countering attacking spirits.

Thanks for sharing that, @David Scott. Not quite what I was pointing to in my reply, but I like it. Jason's proposed guidance would give an RQ neophyte who's struggling at the table (as in the OP's example) some guidance for how to be effective with Vishi Dunn. Your handout summarizes some spells that might be helpful, but doesn't put the pieces together for a newcomer like Jason's does. 

• Like 1