Jump to content
Shiningbrow

Iron ore... ?

Recommended Posts

(pun intended... naturally!)

I finally got the Adventurer's Book (after lots of hassles with the dl from DriveThru :( )

And, looking at the Rune Metals, I noticed a particular sentences- "When enchanted, iron weapons are tempered into steel. They have half again the armor points of bronze.... Unenchanted iron has the same physical qualities as bronze." (p121)

 

However, in the Bestiary, under Mostali, "Armor: Coat of unenchanted heavy dwarf iron chainmail (11 pts.) and full helm (12 pts.)"

 

Speaking of Iron, the price lists say unenchanted Iron is worth 700L per ENC. However, prices will fluctuate and be widely different based on availability (naturally!). So, question - what price would you put on unenchanted iron around Dragon Pass? (or, is the 700L considered the typical price for that area, as the rest of RQG is centred in that part of the world?)

Edited by Shiningbrow
Add Question about pricing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are inconsistencies throughout several books about enchanted iron vs unenchanted iron. 

The NPCs in the gm pack, for example, mention the chance of failure for spells, yet have 9 armor plate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 700L is the price in DP I believe, considering the rest of the game is centered around it for now. As for the Dwarven armor, well there's not really any bronze chainmail to compare its AP to so I don't see the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gochie said:

The NPCs in the gm pack, for example, mention the chance of failure for spells, yet have 9 armor plate.

IIRC this is fixed in the print edition. Finished reading through it a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, gochie said:

There are inconsistencies throughout several books about enchanted iron vs unenchanted iron. 

The NPCs in the gm pack, for example, mention the chance of failure for spells, yet have 9 armor plate. 

Not sure, what you mean. For any NPC in the Gamemaster Adventures book, which has iron armor, it is explicitly stated, that the iron is enchanted. And according to the rules on p.121 of the same book, this means, the iron does not affect spells. This looks consistent for me ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

The 700L is the price in DP I believe, considering the rest of the game is centered around it for now. As for the Dwarven armor, well there's not really any bronze chainmail to compare its AP to so I don't see the problem.

While the bronze chainmail may not be written up, it shouldn't be tougher than plate. Also, there are stats given for the dwarven full helm... the RQG has the bronze version as being only 6 pts. The dwarven equivalent is somehow 12 pts... which would be stronger than even enchanted iron!

Maybe, just maybe, that "secrets of iron craft" skill is super-awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oracle said:

Not sure, what you mean. For any NPC in the Gamemaster Adventures book, which has iron armor, it is explicitly stated, that the iron is enchanted. And according to the rules on p.121 of the same book, this means, the iron does not affect spells. This looks consistent for me ...

Originally (in the PDF I read), it both said they were enchanted and that spells had a % chance of not affecting them or being successfully cast by them. I guess this was edited properly and they no longer have the countermagic effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, gochie said:

Originally (in the PDF I read), it both said they were enchanted and that spells had a % chance of not affecting them or being successfully cast by them. I guess this was edited properly and they no longer have the countermagic effect.

I wouldn't put it past iron dwarves to manage to place an armoring enchantment on untempered iron armor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I wouldn't put it past iron dwarves to manage to place an armoring enchantment on untempered iron armor.

Possibly... Can unenchanted iron even be enchanted considering their anti-magic properties? Either way, armoring enchantment doesn't exist anymore (yet?) and these NPCs are human Orlanthis, so this was clearly an oversight/mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, gochie said:

Possibly... Can unenchanted iron even be enchanted considering their anti-magic properties?

Iron does not completely prevent all magic, it just reduces the chance of success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhilHibbs said:

Iron does not completely prevent all magic, it just reduces the chance of success.

I agree, but it would be a bit strange if iron could hold enchantments when it produces a sort of nullifying field. I figured the success reduction stems from the character being the target of the spell (not the iron item directly), thus the spell has to pass through the iron field to hit the target. 

You're right that it's nowhere in the rules though, but I don't see it making sense to be able to target a sword made of pure iron with a spell and only have -5% (for the 1ENC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gochie said:

Possibly... Can unenchanted iron even be enchanted considering their anti-magic properties? Either way, armoring enchantment doesn't exist anymore (yet?) and these NPCs are human Orlanthis, so this was clearly an oversight/mistake. 

Enchant Rune Metal (Iron) is an enchantment.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Enchant Rune Metal (Iron) is an enchantment.....

True, could be an exception? Again, I know the rules allow you to enchant and cast on iron, I'm just not sure I understand the logic behind it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, Shiningbrow said:

(pun intended... naturally!)

I finally got the Adventurer's Book (after lots of hassles with the dl from DriveThru :( )

And, looking at the Rune Metals, I noticed a particular sentences- "When enchanted, iron weapons are tempered into steel. They have half again the armor points of bronze.... Unenchanted iron has the same physical qualities as bronze." (p121)

 

However, in the Bestiary, under Mostali, "Armor: Coat of unenchanted heavy dwarf iron chainmail (11 pts.) and full helm (12 pts.)"

 

Speaking of Iron, the price lists say unenchanted Iron is worth 700L per ENC. However, prices will fluctuate and be widely different based on availability (naturally!). So, question - what price would you put on unenchanted iron around Dragon Pass? (or, is the 700L considered the typical price for that area, as the rest of RQG is centred in that part of the world?)

The bestiary dwarves seem to be using 3rd ed. armours.

Edited by Brootse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always played that unenchanted iron had the same values as normal bronze, but could be forged better when enchanted. So, you don't get better armour when wearing unenchanted iron.

It's not what the rules say, but that's how we played it.

The AP bonus is all in the enchanting not in the physical properties of iron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soltakss said:

We always played that unenchanted iron had the same values as normal bronze, but could be forged better when enchanted. So, you don't get better armour when wearing unenchanted iron.

It's not what the rules say, but that's how we played it.

The AP bonus is all in the enchanting not in the physical properties of iron.

Those are the rules, except I believe the item must be forged before being enchanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gochie said:

Those are the rules, except I believe the item must be forged before being enchanted. 

If it's reforged, it loses the enchantment. (probably because whatever runes have been inscribed in it have been melted/hammered out).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gochie said:

Those are the rules, except I believe the item must be forged before being enchanted. 

Well, there you go. Our House Rules are the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, soltakss said:

We always played that unenchanted iron had the same values as normal bronze, but could be forged better when enchanted. So, you don't get better armour when wearing unenchanted iron.

It's not what the rules say, but that's how we played it.

That's how I played as well, so it likely was in some rules.  Plus unenchanted iron blocks/dampens magic around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...