What's Next For Pendragon?

RichardA

28 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Does anyone know what new book(s) might be out next for KAP?

I don't know per say, but some books have been mentioned. AFAIK:

The  Book of the Magician: Rules for running a magician in the game including player magicians. It is supposed to be different than the magician rules in 4th edition, and is allegedly going to allow the magician character to some how send PKs on a quest similar to how Merlin sometimes does.

The Book of  Castles: A book with fortifications and siege rules. It is based upon the earlier fortification rules from earlier editions but has been updated and  adjusted. I worked on/seen a very early version of this a decade ago, and I have to say that just from what's been revealed in Book of the Estate, it seems to  be  a big improvement over the older rules.  

The Book of Salisbury: A  more detailed guide to the lands of Salisbury. I've no idea what it actually has inside, but I suspect it probably give a more detailed breakdown of the  area per Estate/Warlord, plus lists some  notable  manors and knights in Salisbury, and have a map a gazetteer with many of  the terrain features listed and described.  Maybe a bit of history on important local events. But that's just speculation. 

Pendragon related....

The Ancient Greek RPG: Possibly called Myrmidon, or something else, this is a stand alone RPG that adapts the Pendragon rules to handle an Ancient Greek/Age of Heroes setting. Just exactly when it is set, and what Heroes exist, I don't know. Maybe Jason, Haracles, and Odysseys are about, or maybe it comes later during the time of one of the Athenaian Leagues? 

The Feudal Japan RPG: This is another stand alone RPG, similar to Charlemagne, that adapts the Pendragon rules to a Feudal Japan setting. Player will probably be playing samurai instead of knights.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

6 hours ago, KungFuFenris said:

There was a Revised Book of Knights & Ladies in the talk.

Really? I've found a few errors that should go into the update. It would be good to fix those SIZ 55 Camels, they are bigger than  elephants! The compound bows should probably be replaced with composite bows, too.

1 minute ago, Atgxtg said:

Really? I've found a few errors that should go into the update. It would be good to fix those SIZ 55 Camels, they are bigger than  elephants! The compound bows should probably be replaced with composite bows, too.

Come now! You know the medieval compound bows were soooo much better! 😉

SDLeary

11 hours ago, Luca Cherstich said:

I hope the revised text of Knights &Ladies will have something (maybe an appendix with clear indications?) to help coordinate character creation  of this book with the system in Book of Sires.

We've got Robert Schroeder of Book of Sires fame working on the revision, so no worries there. :)

5 hours ago, Addison said:

Are the two main books - rulebook and campaign - going to get a New Chaosium facelift?

The current 5.2 rulebook will remain as-is. As for the GPC, plans are afoot but that's a ways down the line.

More immediately, the next three products in the hopper (all are in the art and layout stage of production) are the GM Screen and Resource Pack (featuring all sorts of reference material for KAP Gamemasters and more fantastic art by Jaime García Mendoza, whose work graces both the 5.2 rulebook and Paladin), Codex Mirabilis (the Pendragon magic book), and Knights and Ladies Adventurous (revised advanced character generation), approximately in that order. The Castles book is also in production, with Matt Ryan handling castle diagrams and maps. (Those of you familiar with "The Quest of the Red Blade" will recognize his work from his diagram of the Castle of the Kite in that scenario.)

As always, these will be coming out "when they're ready." ;)

(The other items mentioned by @Atgxtg are also wending their way through the production pipeline, along with some other secret projects I'm not yet at liberty to discuss.)

• Like 8

9 hours ago, sirlarkins said:

The current 5.2 rulebook will remain as-is. As for the GPC, plans are afoot but that's a ways down the line.

When you do decide on 6e, or whatever the next version is, I would like to suggest trying to get the rights to use the 1e cover art again. I would love that colorful, noble procession gracing the cover of a hardbound volume.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sirlarkins said:

More immediately, the next three products in the hopper (all are in the art and layout stage of production) are the GM Screen and Resource Pack (featuring all sorts of reference material for KAP Gamemasters and more fantastic art by Jaime García Mendoza, whose work graces both the 5.2 rulebook and Paladin), Codex Mirabilis (the Pendragon magic book), and Knights and Ladies Adventurous (revised advanced character generation), approximately in that order.

Well. If we're in art and layout, I'm pleased.

Looking forward to all of them.
Though, why did you end up renaming the Book of Magic to Codex Mirabilis?

And... have you adressed the whole Cultural Skill thing in the Knights & Ladies Adventurous?

Edited by KungFuFenris

Søren A. Hjorth
- Freelancer Writer, Cultural Distributer, Font of Less Than Useless Knowledge
https://thenarrativeexploration.wordpress.com/

If there's a GPC revision at some point, it would be handy to have an additional adventure section that lists previous books adventures that can be used during the "era". I would think that'd be great. Also, we definitely need Gareth mentioned earlier.

I know many people aren't happy with the cultural skills in Knights and Ladies, but I really like them. I think encourages people to be Cymric which is an advantage and I think it distinguishes the cultures. Though, my biggest gripe there is that the Picts are at a total of -3 to stats while everyone else is +3.

Still, I've enjoyed nearly everything in the Pendragon line, which is unusual. I think they've been quality products and I look forward to whatever's next.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Username said:

Though, my biggest gripe there is that the Picts are at a total of -3 to stats while everyone else is +3.

And -3 Tai, which is the best attribute in the game. It's on purpose. You player will play a pict if he wants to play a pict, not because he is minimaxing.

19 hours ago, Username said:

I know many people aren't happy with the cultural skills in Knights and Ladies, but I really like them.

Many rules are unbalanced to my taste. I confess I still prefer knights adventurous (3e edition).

On 11/22/2019 at 10:51 PM, Atgxtg said:

The Book of  Castles: A book with fortifications and siege rules. It is based upon the earlier fortification rules from earlier editions but has been updated and  adjusted. I worked on/seen a very early version of this a decade ago, and I have to say that just from what's been revealed in Book of the Estate, it seems to  be  a big improvement over the older rules.  

The Book of Salisbury: A  more detailed guide to the lands of Salisbury. I've no idea what it actually has inside, but I suspect it probably give a more detailed breakdown of the  area per Estate/Warlord, plus lists some  notable  manors and knights in Salisbury, and have a map a gazetteer with many of  the terrain features listed and described.  Maybe a bit of history on important local events. But that's just speculation. 

I dream of them sometimes, especially Book of Salisbury, a good addition to the game.

Otherwise, I always felt there is a need for a "book of the Holy Grail" or something. It's the iconic quest, and we don't have many tools to play with (a christian interpretation, a pagan interpretation, a new age interpretation, the Sang real connexion, etc.). Is the Grail a cup? a dish? a stone?

1 hour ago, Tizun Thane said:

Otherwise, I always felt there is a need for a "book of the Holy Grail" or something. It's the iconic quest, and we don't have many tools to play with (a christian interpretation, a pagan interpretation, a new age interpretation, the Sang real connexion, etc.). Is the Grail a cup? a dish? a stone?

I'll second that. It has  always been the hardest part to play out. It doesn't help that according tot he literature, you can't find it if you are looking for it and pretty much everybody without the (Christian? maybe one type of Christian?) religious bonus isn't going to have a chance. The Quest is  important, but not really all that suited for play.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, creativehum said:

Can anyone tell me what this is about?

In K&L each culture gets a special cutlural skill, directed trait or passion. These usually replace two or three standard skills in the game. For instance Cymric characters get Spear Expertise, which they can use in  place of Spear, Greatspear and Lance. Saxon characters get 2H Weapon, which works for Axe, Greatsword and Great Mace. Romans get Law which covers Courtesy, Intrigue and Folklore. PIcts get Stalk which covers Awareness and Hunting.

I assumed that KungFuFenris is commenting on how these work in the game and how some are far better than others, especially in regards to knighthood or for a given culture. The Pony Defense of the Huns, for example is very powerful as they can use it in an opposed roll to avoid damage in a fight.

Already own BK&L, and understand the same concept from Knights Adventurous from 30 years ago.

i was asking about KungFuFerris suggesting some sort of dustup about the the skills in BK&L, as if something needed to be fixed or some discussion occurred where some thing needed to be fixed. 

Since Stafford made it clear that balance between cultures wa never a goal I was surprised by KKF's post and wanted to learn more. That some cultures have almost mythic skills based on culture is reflective, of course, of stories and not reality and makes perfect sense for the game. 

Edited by creativehum

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

9 minutes ago, creativehum said:

Since Stafford made it clear that balance between cultures wa never a goal I was surprised by KKF's post and wanted to learn more. That some cultures have almost mythic skills based on culture is reflective, of course, of stories and not reality makes perfect sense for the game. 

I agree, but I guess some people have a problem with them. I'll admit to having a bit of an issue with Pony Defense, as a Hun with a 20 is unhittable (you can kill his horse though), but it doesn't come up all that often in a typical KAP campaign.

Edited by Atgxtg

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

as a Hun with a 20 is unhittable

Maybe I am completely forgetting how the game works... but I don't think this is correct?

In an Opposed Roll, the higher value of the two rolls wins if both rolls succeed.

So even though the Hun can't fail, if a PC Knight charging against the Hun a) succeeds at his skill roll; b) gets a higher value than the Hun on his d20 roll he does, in fact, hit the Hun. Yes?

Since the game system is designed to be "swingy" (with each opponent making a d20 roll to randomly determine what number their opponent has to beat), there's really no reason to think the Hun won't roll a 5 and the PC Knight a 7. Yes? The Hun might have a greater spread for success, giving him better odds. But in no way is he "unhittable."

If I'm wrong or am misremembering the rules, please let me know!

Edited by creativehum

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

7 minutes ago, creativehum said:

If I'm wrong or am misremembering the rules, please let me know!

Pony Defense:

• In such circumstances a Critical or Win indicates the Hun is not harmed, though neither is he capable of doing any damage to his opponent.
  • A Loss or Tie indicates that the horse takes the damage instead of the rider.
  • A fumble indicates the horse stumbled and fell upon the rider, and it does its damage to itself and the rider.

So a Hun with Pony Defense 20 is unhittable. At best the opponent can  kill his horse. Then maybe go after the Hun before he can remount. Now K&K does point out that a Hun only has a limited number of Horses to try this with, and we have to allow for circumstances, but  basically if a Hun with Pony Defense 20 is astride a Steppe Pony, you can't hit the Hun with one attack.                     

Edited by Atgxtg