How Religious Persecution Almost Ended My Life

Fábio Silva

16 hours ago, EricW said:

My advice, vote with your feet. Its a big world, there is no need for an educated person to put up with ongoing threats to their life.

Although I agree with your sentiment what you say is far easier said than done.

Look at all the migrants fleeing war and persecution at the moment - they are hardly being welcomed with open arms by other countries and this is after giving what little money they have to people smugglers to get them out of their place of origin.

Not every oppressed person has a passport and a nice wodge of cash to get a plane ticket to paradise ( never mind evading whatever restrictions their government puts on foreign travel ). And that's beside the dilemma of leaving behind any family, friends or job security.

Edited by groovyclam

1 hour ago, groovyclam said:

Although I agree with your sentiment what you say is far easier said than done.

Look at all the migrants fleeing war and persecution at the moment - they are hardly being welcomed with open arms by other countries and this is after giving what little money they have to people smugglers to get them out of their place of origin.

Not every oppressed person has a passport and a nice wodge of cash to get a plane ticket to paradise ( never mind evading whatever restrictions their government puts on foreign travel ).

Just moving to the next city should be enough, few countries are so homogenous you can't find somewhere better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricW said:

Just moving to the next city should be enough, few countries are so homogenous you can't find somewhere better.

Do you think people are getting on rafts and risking their lives in the Mediterranean in glorified floating refrigerators or walking on foot from Guatemala to the US border because they think there's another option in the next city

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Do you think people are getting on rafts and risking their lives in the Mediterranean in glorified floating refrigerators or walking on foot from Guatemala to the US border because they think there's another option in the next city

We're talking about someone facing religious persecution in their hometown. I'm just suggesting, try another town if moving country is not an option. At the very least people won't know about the OP's "satanic" COC playing if they move a few hundred miles.

As for people risking their lives to come to America, do you really want to have that discussion in a game forum? Let's just say I'm happy my native Australia doesn't need a border fence. Two hundred miles of shark and crocodile infested water + a very active coastguard makes a nice moat, gives authorities a chance to weed out the bad people from the genuine refugees.

Edited by EricW
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, EricW said:

As for people risking their lives to come to America, do you really want to have that discussion in a game forum? Let's just say I'm happy my native Australia doesn't need a border fence. Two hundred miles of shark and crocodile infested water + a very active coastguard makes a nice moat, gives authorities a chance to weed out the bad people from the genuine refugees.

Nauru and Manus, sir

• Thanks 2

May I mention that while this not a severe thread drift, it is in poor form to come to a place where someone has poured out their soul about threats to their life for the the tribe to gather and to argue about it. @Fábio Silva, if I might apologize on behalf of our tribe for being petty and argumentative I will do so. Sorry, you have come to us with problems and we have delivered more onto your lap. 

Be well, thank you for  joining us in our hobby and may it take away a little of the pain of our horrible world. I will not say we are better than this, but you are now warned that we will argue at the drop of a hat, whether the hat has actually been dropped or was it pushed, and whether or not it was actually a hat in the first place. It is what we are. Sorry.

...again, be well, thank you for coming here and I hope you will find serenity here, even if it is not very serene , Well, maybe you can have fun,. lord knows I do.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 8

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On topic, @Fábio Silvamay I leave you with a peaceful thought that should be okay with all the religious and all the atheists...I will scroll down a bit so it can be ignored if wished 

Again cheers

🔻

🔻

🔻

🔻

🔻

🔻 

🔻

🔻

🔻 

🔻

🔻

🔻 

🔻

🔻

🔻 

This man is GOD!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 12/28/2019 at 10:24 AM, Dethstrok9 said:

I completely understand. The current state of the world is screwed up pretty bad. However, separation of church and state is a invasion of the right to "free speech" and was never part of the constitution...

My philosophy? Let people live as they want, if it doesn't effect me, I don't care. 

Your right but you are getting dangerously near politics. There are a lot of people (not me) that believe that separation of church and state is a righful law in the US.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

16 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Your right but you are getting dangerously near politics. There are a lot of people (not me) that believe that separation of church and state is a righful law in the US.

I know. If you wish to discuss it further, reach out to me as I love talking about this stuff, but I feel this forum is not the place for that. As I said, I respect all opinions and will leave it at that.

• Like 2

-Voice of the Legion

On 12/29/2019 at 4:24 PM, rsanford said:

But this is neither Church nor State.  This is TRIF's house.  And IIRC Trif ain't even a USA resident or citizen, so USA law has even LESS relevance...

Mainly, he wants us to stay civil; but really... we have no "rights" here, he just hosts the space out of the goodness of his heart and allows us to play in this very fine sandbox he owns.

😁

• Like 6

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 12/29/2019 at 7:24 PM, rsanford said:

There are a lot of people (not me) that believe that separation of church and state is a righful law in the US.

also it's a weird flex to come into a thread by a person who recounted his life being threatened by Christianity and say you think Evangelicalism should rule America, which is what the practical effect of removing the separation of church and state would do.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

But this is neither Church nor State.  This is TRIF's house.  And IIRC Trif ain't even a USA resident or citizen, so USA law has even LESS relevance...

Mainly, he wants us to stay civil; but really... we have no "rights" here, he just hosts the space out of the goodness of his heart and allows us to play in this very fine sandbox he owns.

😁

I agree.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

On 12/24/2019 at 3:52 AM, Fábio Silva said:

I won't go into the details, because this post will already be long enough and may compromise some people's privacy, but in 2014 an influential person in a Christian religion accused me of occult practice, based on social networking photos of me reading and get together with people for something related to "Cthulhu." In quick research, the person saw that "Cthulhu" is a cosmic entity worshiped by cultists who perform rituals and sacrifices to them. He forgot the part where it's just fiction and accused me of occult practice. I live in a country town and the people here are Christians. My wife and I are Christians.

I lost my job, and some people walked away from me, but there was always someone on the prowl trying to prove that I practiced some occult.

That, in itself, is absolutely awful. Hounding someone out of a job is just wrong, no matter what the motivations of either party, especially if the allegations are false.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:52 AM, Fábio Silva said:

I have lost many things over the years in this war. But I won too. And I still win. It was worth not giving up. If you have thought of giving up, don't do it. Give life another chance. If you know someone who wants to give up, don't let that happen.

There is a time for peace.

I am glad that you have found the strength to carry on, despite everything.

Thanks for posting, it was interesting, horrifying and heartwarming.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 12/30/2019 at 11:24 AM, rsanford said:

Well it was good enough for the Founding Fathers, who looked at the religious wars in Europe, and said the USA didn't need that.  How did they solve it?  By guaranteeing the citizens freedom of conscience, outlawing the notion of a state religions, and creating a notional separation of ALL religions from public institutions so no single religion could dominate US political discourse.  In return, religions were given tax free status.  Despite that, pretty much all religions in the USA have endeavoured to abuse the separation of Church and State ever since.

Still, this has nothing to do with the religious persecution of someone who is persecuted for playing Call of C'thulhu.  I think we can all agree that any religion that is so very removed from reality that it thinks something as innocent as playing CoC is a threat to them is a threat to everyone alive too, and needs to be stopped.  

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 4:09 AM, Richard S. said:

This debate over religion is getting quite off topic for the original purpose of this thread I think.

Moderator Hat: yes

On 1/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, soltakss said:

Thanks for posting, it was interesting, horrifying and heartwarming.

Moderator Hat: @Fábio Silva, yes. You'll find tribe here is from a great swathe of beliefs and backgrounds and places, but very welcoming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2