Several lore questions

coffeemancer

On 3/31/2020 at 12:19 AM, jajagappa said:

The Lismelder are pro-Lunar.

Them's fighting words. (The Lismelder are listed as a Free Tribe in Barbarian Adventures)

50 minutes ago, g33k said:

...?

you  wear a swan  to awards ceremonies???!?

No, that's a Bjork. He's the outermost layer of the trunk, stem or root of a woody plant.

14 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Them's fighting words. (The Lismelder are listed as a Free Tribe in Barbarian Adventures)

The Lismelder are primarily Humakti, and Humakt isn't hostile to the Lunars, only to Yanafal Ta'arnils.  If the Lunars were able to keep Delecti off their backs, I think the Lismelders would be pro-Lunar.

5 minutes ago, Darius West said:

The Lismelder are primarily Humakti, and Humakt isn't hostile to the Lunars, only to Yanafal Ta'arnils.  If the Lunars were able to keep Delecti off their backs, I think the Lismelders would be pro-Lunar.

You might have forgotten (or never known) that I played in the original Greydog Campaign back in the nineties, and pay keen attention to my old stamping-grounds. The idea that the Lismelder tribe is pro-Lunar isn’t supported by any source I’m familiar with. And they’re included in the most comprehensive list of anti-Lunar tribes ever drawn up.

But YGWV, and I’m cool with that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I meant Locaem, and apparently my fingers decided to write Lismelder! 😜

(Or perhaps the Orlmarth clan leaders from my campaign cast a spell upon me while typing?)

Edited by jajagappa

11 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

no, that is Bark (which is worse than tje bite)

Pray continue, @coffeemancer...

Edited by Nick Brooke

On 4/3/2020 at 5:41 AM, Nick Brooke said:

You might have forgotten (or never known) that I played in the original Greydog Campaign back in the nineties, and pay keen attention to my old stamping-grounds. The idea that the Lismelder tribe is pro-Lunar isn’t supported by any source I’m familiar with. And they’re included in the most comprehensive list of anti-Lunar tribes ever drawn up.

But YGWV, and I’m cool with that.

Yeah, that's fair.  Nobody wants their tribe to be quislings.  In fact, when you get down to it, the main culprits are likely to be the Colymar, whose King Blackmoor was definitely a Lunar sympathizer.  Of course things change, and with Leika taking charge the politics of the Colymar swung back the other way.

On a related note, there seems to be considerable evidence that plenty of Sable Riders went pro-Whitebull, but nothing to suggest what the breakdown of numbers was in the overall tribe.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

Nobody wants their tribe to be quislings.  In fact, when you get down to it, the main culprits are likely to be the Colymar, whose King Blackmoor was definitely a Lunar sympathizer.

As I noted above, didn't help that I wrote "Lismelder" when I meant to say "Locaem"! 

But, yes, certainly some Lunar sympathizers among Blackmoor's allies.

4 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

the fandom wiki tbh.

it can be useful for getting a simple grip on the timeline but it is woefully lacking in detail

(shrug)

We know she is killed in battle in 1626, so that's obviously bollocks.

1 minute ago, Nick Brooke said:

(shrug)

We know she is killed in battle in 1626, so that's obviously bollocks.

yeah, Thats what I figured.

Unrelated, but why are everyone in sartar so ready to unify behind Argrath but refuse to give Leika the time of day? is it just because Argrath has relation to Sartar, the person?

• Like 1

Just now, coffeemancer said:

Unrelated, but why are everyone in sartar so ready to unify behind Argrath but refuse to give Leika the time of day? is it just because Argrath has relation to Sartar, the person?

I think so. Leika could lead the Greater Colymar Tribe (plus misc. allies and hangers-on), but she can't ever be the legit heir to the Kingdom of Sartar, and Argrath can.

39 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

Argrath is descended from Sartar (or at least has the done the appropriate steps to effectively prove he is) - Leika isn't. That's one thing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

There may be a completely un-idealistic component to it, too:  Argrath comes into Sartar with a great big honkin' army from Prax, with his White Bull society.  If Sartar unifies behind him, then they get all the unified Sartar that Leika could possibly field, PLUS that Praxian army (with all that Sweet Stormbull violence!) and Yummy exotic White Bull magic.

So the traditionalists, and those who hew to the ideals of lineage, get to chant "Sartar!  Sartar!  Sartar!"  And the realpolitik crew get to look at their suddenly-MUCH-bigger-army, shrug and say "I'll chant whatever you want, as long as these guys stay here to fight the Lunar Scum!"

• Like 4

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 minutes ago, Grievous said:

Argrath is descended from Sartar (or at least has the done the appropriate steps to effectively prove he is) - Leika isn't. That's one thing.

Argrath has a devoted personal warband of Praxian fanatics and funky Warlocks, and a working relationship with Harrek the Berserk's Wolf Pirates. He's looted pretty much every coastal region of Genertela and Pamaltela, knows secrets of the Giants and Dragons, and can access all the wealth and secrets of Old Pavis.

Leika has... you lot, basically. The most deliberately backward tribe in the heartland of Sartar, existing in self-imposed quarantine from the power structures of the kingdom: no Royal Roads, no City Rings. (Quite a nice little whorehouse on one of the B-roads, I'm told, and the microbreweries are good)

So that's another. 

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1

Just now, Nick Brooke said:

Argrath has a devoted personal warband of Praxian fanatics and funky Warlocks, and a working relationship with Harrek the Berserk's Wolf Pirates. He's looted pretty much every coastal region of Genertela and Pamaltela, knows secrets of the Giants and Dragons, and can access to all the wealth and secrets of Old Pavis.

Leika has... you lot, basically. The most deliberately backward tribe in the heartland of Sartar, existing in self-imposed quarantine from the power structures of the kingdom: no Royal roads, no City Rings. (Quite a nice little whorehouse on one of the B-roads, I'm told, and the microbreweries are good)

So that's another. 

but we should also consider that Argrath is probably 5 different people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, coffeemancer said:

but we should also consider that Argrath is probably 5 different people

At this point, we know his shoe size.

21 minutes ago, Grievous said:

it seems a bit odd to me that the sartarites would be so obsessed with geneology but then again this is the slavekeeping followers of the god of freedom

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:08 PM, Darius West said:

On a related note, there seems to be considerable evidence that plenty of Sable Riders went pro-Whitebull, but nothing to suggest what the breakdown of numbers was in the overall tribe.

Depending on your view point, the Sable Tribe had a complex political issue when the Lunars were around. 2/5s were pro, 2/5s were conservative and 1/5 neutral. In the aftermath of Moonbroth II 2/5s were effectively eliminated. The remaining 3/5 were protected from most (misplaced) retribution by the most respected elder or by joining Argrath.The tribal Khan sensibly supported Argrath. White Bull members are roughly a third of adults (based on upcoming CoG cult distribution figures).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/