Best totally mundane investigative story

Lloyd Dupont

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I am looking for inspiration.. And also investigative story is my weak point...

Could you advise me any totally mundane investigation story. Maybe hunting a drug lord or fighting corrupt cops kind of story.

Cheers! :) 

If you are looking for ideas, the various N.C.I.S. shows and Hawaii 5-0 should be the kind of stories you are looking for. Hope it helps. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Yea I was starting to think I should look at some police shows too! :) 

Numbers is a good cop show to watch as well, especially if you are in to a more science based show. Or, if you want something more classic and independent from the cops, Magnum P.I., the A-Team, Kightrider, or Macgyver should do nicely. I hope it helps. ;)

Although, now that I think about it, the idea of piting all these heroes against the mythos sounds prity cool.

Edited by Old Man Henerson

• 2 months later...

Occam's Razor is a collection of mundane investigations that seem otherwise. Kind of in the vein of True Detective. It will be put out by Stygian Fox. Its coming along but its way behind schedule.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

"Red Harvest" -- Dashiell Hammett's nameless Continental Op stirs up a hornets' nest of crime just by showing up and asking a few questions in a corrupt small town.

"The Hound of the Baskervilles" -- Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes sends assistant Dr. John Watson to check out an unusual death at a remote rural estate.

"A Caribbean Mystery" -- Agatha Christie, spinster Jane Marple's island vacation is interrupted when fellow guests start turning up dead!

"The Woman In White" -- Wilkie Collins, when an heiress' fiance' whisks her away to an isolated mansion the woman's female cousin and the bride-to-be's former drawing tutor both become concerned and attempt to track her down.

"The Big Sleep" -- Raymond Chandler, private detective Philip Marlowe Is hired to chase a blackmailer away from a wealthy man's daughter, but the seemingly simple job reveals convoluted layers of sin and murder.

"Thunder On the Right" -- Mary Stewart, a young woman travels to a French convent to meet her cousin only to learn that her relative died in a messy mountain-road car crash.  But the burial was hasty, the details don't seem to add up, and the nuns aren't eager to answer her questions.

Edited by seneschal

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of plausibility and realism you can't go far wrong with Michael Connolly; as a former crime reporter with a lot of connections his books drip authenticity. Checking out either his Harry Bosch series of books or the just as superb Amazon tv series will have you covered for anything US based, and LA in particular.

For something set earlier it has to be Raymond Chandler for the 30s or Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series which goes from the 50s onwards.