Adventure Locations

AndreJarosch

Inspired by the map in "The Pegasus Plateau", and with the kind permission of Chaosium Inc., i made my own "Adventure Locations" maps. 

Map I. Adventure Locations in official RQG publications:
579729319_AdventureLocations1OfficialRQG.thumb.jpg.cab3dc12cdea8774b75e32d38595ac66.jpg 

Map II. Adventure Locations in Jonstown Compendium publications:
1202672879_AdventureLocations2JC.thumb.jpg.28d8a0a761ca1d1b9713cfee02353751.jpg

Map III. Adventure Locations in official RuneQuest 2 and RuneQuest 3 publications (medium blue = RQ2 / dark blue = new in RQ3):
492027081_AdventureLocationsRQ1-RQ3.thumb.jpg.3c6de5338dec9166717a66adcd19c9f3.jpg

Map IV. Adventure Locations in official HeroWars, HeroQuest, HeroQuest 2 and HeroQuest Glorantha publications (medium green = HW/HQ1 / light green = HQ2 / dark green = HQG):
1063775138_AdventureLocationsHW-HQG.thumb.jpg.28c039d258712e7345a1f8e0a4337eb3.jpg

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Great work, and very helpful.

With 3 offical scenario products now published for RQG, what is the concensus regarding the chronology of the adventures in terms of running them all as a campaign?  This excellent  map certainly shows locations. Some scenarios have specific dates (The Smoking Ruin and The Pegasus Plateau  scenarios occur within days of each other), but others do not. Taking difficulty into consideration, I wonder if the first scenario published, Defending Apple Lane, should be run third, after Cattle Raid and The Grey Crane. Then what?  Not to mention the one-adventure-per-season idea.

31 minutes ago, Sid Vicarious said:

Great work, and very helpful.

With 3 offical scenario products now published for RQG, what is the concensus regarding the chronology of the adventures in terms of running them all as a campaign?  This excellent  map certainly shows locations. Some scenarios have specific dates (The Smoking Ruin and The Pegasus Plateau  scenarios occur within days of each other), but others do not. Taking difficulty into consideration, I wonder if the first scenario published, Defending Apple Lane, should be run third, after Cattle Raid and The Grey Crane. Then what?  Not to mention the one-adventure-per-season idea.

I'd be interested in experienced GMs thoughts on a possibly nice run order for these too.

3 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

I merged both maps, so that you can make out easily which adventures of the official line are located near to the JC ones.

It's a useful illustration.  I'd suggest a distinct background color to separate the official and the JC entries.  Also the Quickstart blue type on red background is extremely difficult to read.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

It's a useful illustration.  I'd suggest a distinct background color to separate the official and the JC entries.  Also the Quickstart blue type on red background is extremely difficult to read.

The colours of the numbers differ: Black = JC

Edited by AndreJarosch

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

The colours of the numbers differ: Black = JC

I know - I'm just saying that I'm not finding it easy to discern different variations on a common red background.  The JC black on red is ok.  But very difficult to pick up grey or blue on red.

22 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

A third map with the locations of all official RQ2 and RQ3 adventures has been added. 

Really shows how much the old RQ2/RQ3 worked at the fringes of civilization!  Very focused on the River of Cradles. 

What I like with the recent releases is the expansion into Beast Valley, the Grazelands, and south of the Stream. 

On 5/11/2020 at 11:59 PM, Blindhamster said:

I'd be interested in experienced GMs thoughts on a possibly nice run order for these too.

My campaign kicked off at the start of 1626. I ran the Smoking Ruin in Sea Season (three sessions), the Dragon of Thunder Hills in Fire Season (three sessions), some one-session playtest adventures in Earth Season (a Praxian HeroQuest called The Flowers of Ronance by Doyle Wayne Ramos-Taverner) and Dark Season (a Namolding clan story called The Fainting Spirit by Jean-Christophe Cubertafon), and The Duel at Dangerford in Storm Season, followed by The Rattling Wind.

We started Sea Season 1627 with another playtest (The Jonstown Palimpsest by David Larkins), and were one session into playtesting my next epic Hero Wars scenario, code named Black Spear, when the lockdown hit.

Published scenario names are in bold; my Duel at Dangerford includes notes that might help you run the Smoking Ruin and Dragon... adventures.

Cheers, Nick

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

A third map with the locations of all official RQ2 and RQ3 adventures has been added. 

Thanks for that map. 

2 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Really shows how much the old RQ2/RQ3 worked at the fringes of civilization!  Very focused on the River of Cradles. 

There is one scenario set in the Praxian Chaparral, at Horn Gate, and there are Apple Lane, the Rainbow Mounds, the Sazdorf Ruins and Snake Pipe Hollow in or near Sartar. Unless you count some of the encounters in Borderlands, which may be counted as mini-scenarios.

The only other published RQ scenarios set in Sartar or the Chaparral themselves were from fanzines like RuneQuest Adventures, Tales, or Tradetalk/Free INT, or other such fan productions. There weren't that many, IIRC.

I'm aware of one Sandy Petersen RQ3 scenario set in Sarro in Afadjann, in the AH house magazine Heroes, which might be regarded as semi-official, and which probably wins as the most distant RQ scenario from Pavis.

We did get a few minor sandbox descriptions of places, like the Lismelder Lands, descriptions of the Jonstown confederation, or the oases of Prax distributed over various publications as system-less material. And of course Tarsh War.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

And it shows that we actually have almost NOTHING set in Prax!

PraxPak when?

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

What I like with the recent releases is the expansion into Beast Valley, the Grazelands, and south of the Stream. 

That started with HeroQuest (HeroWars adventures had no real locations, only "at your clan, somewhere in Sartar"). 

HW/HQ Adventure Location map to follow...

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

That's fantastic, thanks.

And for your next trick, all the Hero Wars/HeroQuest scenarios, especially those in the Sartar rising series. 😀

4 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

HW/HQ Adventure Location map to follow...

Excellent!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

A fourth map with the locations of all official HeroWars, HQ1, HQ2 and HQG adventures has been added. 

Again: NO, i will not merge this with the other maps. 

I have no clue if i will make a "fan publication map". 
A lot of stuff published by fans is "off the map", and a lot of stuff has been published so close to each other that you wouldn´t be able to see anything on the map. 

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With four maps up now i see a pattern: 

RQ1 to 3 was mostly about the River of Cradles region (1614-1622). 
HQ to HQG was/is mostly about Sartar (1618-1625).
RQG is now takiing over Sartar from HQ, but moves it forward (1625-...). 

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 2

<weeps quietly>

So many amazing adventures that I clearly will never get to play... as I'm the only GM I know actually running RQ / Glorantha...

(n.b. may possibly try to get into a VTT or similar game; but... there are separate logistical challenges with that, such that I don't think it would work.)

edit:  oh, by the way -- fabulous piece of work, TYVM @AndreJarosch!!!

Edited by g33k
tyvm

C'es ne pas un .sig