BASIC GAMEMASTER - Mastering the BRP System

Trifletraxor

basic-gamemaster.jpgBasic Gamemaster provides wisdom and advice on running Basic Roleplaying games. There are five main sections: the first discusses the duties of the gamemaster in devising and presenting roleplaying adventures. The second covers scenario-construction aids for the gamemaster including encounter tables, languages, treasures, and danger-classes. The third treats the social organization postulated in the Basic Roleplaying rules, particularly as they affect adventurer occupations, income, magic and so forth. The fourth explores ships and the sea; supplementary rules to use in your game. Finally, a ready-to-play scenario is presented, intended to be used with the average beginning adventurer group.

By Greg Stafford, Charlie Krank, Ken Rolston, Sandy Petersen & Steve Perrin. 48 pages. Published by Chaosium May 2009.

(Note: Basic Magic is basically a reprint of the gamemaster chapter from RuneQuest 3 with all references to Glorantha removed).

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I take it that Basic Creatures and Basic Magic books are just the text taken from RQ3 books as well and reprinted?

Yes. All references to Glorantha and RuneQuest have been removed, but otherwise they are the same text as was in the AH Deluxe RQ boxed set - irritatingly, this means they DON'T include the errata...

Depending on the PDF viewer you use, the layout seems to have been tidied up a bit from the "BRP Monograph" versions that were published back in '04 in the original b&w tape-bound monograph format.

Cheers,

Nick

I've bought copies simply because my old RQ3 books were getting old and tattered. But I have to regard these products as very poor efforts, would it have been that hard to do some simple editing eg change MP to PP and so on ? A missed chance for all these products which in my opinion could have been expanded and revised to make them excellent products especially the Magic and Creatures books

That's interesting. I have copies of the GW RQ3 books. I might not bother buying them then.

I think, if you have the spare cash, the PDF's are well worth picking up: you get all the content of the GW books in decent OEF PDF, not scans, so whatever happens to you GW books you have the game. AND you can print out extracts etc as you wish - and with a decent PDF reader you can cut and paste the extracts in to other documents (for you personal use only, obviously)...

Obviously, they aren't essential purchases, and I'm clearly biased# but they are quite useful.

Cheers,

Nick

# I own the GW three hard backs edition of RQIII (plus supplements), the AH Standard Edition and Deluxe boxed sets, the AH Deluxe Soft back book, the original 2004 BRP b&w card cover tape bound monographs AND the more recent PDF's... plus I have photocpoies of the Players, magic and Gamemasters books from the AH Deluxe set.

• 5 months later...

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but when reading through here i see Runequest mentioned several time so here goes. How similiar is the new RuneQuest II from Mongoose to BRP? Is it a version of BRP or a completely different critter. I guess what I am getting at is Would i be better off getting BRP or Mongoose Rune Quest II, when it comes to Fantasy Role Playing. I have been playing Savage Worlds for quiet some time now and I'm looking into something different for awhile. I fondly remember Call of Cthulhu, (it was 2nd edition if i remember correctly) and I really like the idea of BRP's advance system instead of levels or experience, by using the skill you may be able to raise it. I dont own either of the 2 but am looking into buying one of them as a Christmas gift for myself. I appreciate your replies and if this is the wrong place to ask about it once again i apologize.

i guess what i was getting at was Is MRQII Basically a BRP setting book with different switches turned on?

In my view, not really, I would see MRQ II more as a close relative of BRP. There

are some significant differences, for example in the way the skills are based upon

the characteristics and in the combat actions. While it is not difficult to "transla-

te" one system into the other, one could not play one system's adventures with

the other system "out of the box".

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at buying this monograph as I don't have any RQ books. What does this book have that THE Gold book doesn't? Is it worth the cost?

Nope. If you're considering buying this or one of the other degloranthaficated RQ3 monographs - just go for the original full version instead. You'll find it at eBay for a reasonable price, with much better layout.

Fex.: http://cgi.ebay.com/RuneQuest-Deluxe-Third-Ed-AVALON-HILL-SHRINK-MINT-/200556728298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb21ccfea

SGL.

In my view, not really, I would see MRQ II more as a close relative of BRP.

It's closer than Unknown Armies or Pendragon though.

While it is not difficult to "transla-

te" one system into the other, one could not play one system's adventures with

the other system "out of the box".

I can't play Stormbringer3 adventures "out of the box" using Stormbringer5. Both are BRP though. :) I count it as a bonus that the systems are similar though.

I'm looking at buying this monograph as I don't have any RQ books. What does this book have that THE Gold book doesn't? Is it worth the cost?

Please don't. Much as I love Chaosium, I really wish they would either consolidate those books or stop selling them. You're much better off picking up a used copy of the RQ3 boxed set.

70/420

Is it worth the cost?

Frankly, the three "Basic" supplements (Gamemaster, Creatures and Magic) are

only really worth the cost if you ran out of fuel and urgently need something to

burn in order to keep you warm. :(

(Charlie Chan)

Thank you, guys. How about in the original RuneQuest format. Is that worth the cost? Are they obsolete due to Classic Fantasy? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are very informative.

It's certainly worth the cost if you're considering playing in a gritty historic or fantasy setting using BRP. Classic Fantasy is more geared towards emulating the "feel" of oldschool D20 gaming, just with better rules. Picking up old RuneQuest + the Classic Glorantha supplements would give you many months of happy gaming.

SGL.

What Trifletraxor wrote. ^^

In my view the Gloranthan Classics (see some links below) include some of the

best roleplaying material ever written, and the original Runequest gives you easy

access to these treasures.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=83383

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=83384

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=83386

(Charlie Chan)

Thank you, guys. How about in the original RuneQuest format. Is that worth the cost? Are they obsolete due to Classic Fantasy? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are very informative.

The original format for those three monographs is the RQ3 Deluxe box. The $60 some odd bucks I spent on that back around 1990 remain the best RPG expenditure I've ever made. We recently ran a lengthy RQ3 campaign and one of my players liked it enough to find a copy for himself on E-bay, too. The original RQ3 Box contained five booklets:

1. Players book (which had core rules)

2. Magic Book (which outlined the four types of magic - Spirit, Divine, Sorcery, and Ritual) This is the Basic Magic Monograph.

3. GM book (which had rules for ships, advice for encounters, cities, prices, and I don't remember what else). This is the Basic Gamemastering Monograph.

4. Creatures (which basically had the bestiary). This is the Basic Creatures monograph.

5. Glorantha (which had an introduction to that setting, including the stats for some of the better Glorantha creatures like Scorpion-men and Walktapi).

6. The box also contained two play-aid booklets that were useful, and a nice big map of the Ancient world with evocative names on it.

Of the three monographs, I'd say the most useful are Basic Creatures (but only if you don't have creature stats from anywhere else, otherwise you might duplicate) and Basic Magic, which gives you the magic systems mentioned above. These three monographs are basically just reprints of the original with some stuff stripped out and a poorer layout. This is why, if you think the contents might be interesting for you, you should get the deluxe box instead.

Classic Fantasy doesn't have much to do with the three Basic monographs at all. It presents rules for playing a D&D style game using BRP as the rules. This is very different from the classic RuneQuest style fantasy.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb