Jump to content
soltakss

Secrets of Dorastor (Jonstown Compendium)

Recommended Posts

A snip at $25.00 for 259 pages, it comes out as a Bargain on the Brooke Scale.
 
From Nick's Scenarios: "Complexity: medium to high – a massive collection of material compiled from many years spent running RuneQuest games in Dorastor, including many self-consciously gross old-school elements – tips sadistic gamemasters can use to upset munchkin players, rules for “hyper-critical” hits, and a boyish enthusiasm for violated orifices, succubi and acid damage. The author writes with oblivious relish about this disturbing material."
 
Secrets of Dorastor is a campaign pack set in the fabled land of Dorastor, in Greg Stafford's Glorantha.
 
Inside you will find:
  • A gazetteer of over one hundred places, with a map of Dorastor and nearby areas and maps of key places in Dorastor
  • Descriptions of forty personalities, both of Dorastor and the surrounding Borderlands
  • 25 types of Monster, of animal, vegetable and mineral types
  • Write-ups of 9 Organizations
  • RuneQuest write-ups of 8 Cults, including adapting the cult of Humakt to Dorastor
  • New abilities for Illuminates and a description of Illumination and its various Schools
  • 15 Magic Items
  • Encounter Tables of all the important areas of Dorastor
  • Sample Campaign and Scenario Hooks
  • Extended RuneQuest rules for High Level Adventurers
  • Tips for playing High Level Adventurers and NPCs
 
Based on the write-up of our Dorastor Campaign, with a great deal of extra material, this covers the land and people of Dorastor and its Borderlands.
 
WARNING: Dorastor is the most horrible part of Glorantha, a cursed land full of terrors. Secrets of Dorastor deals with extreme horror, with topics including violence, cannibalism, seduction, forced matings, ritual sacrifice and the liberal use of acid. Please do not purchase this if these themes might cause offense.

SecretsOfDorastorCoverImage.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

259 pages of Dorastor. I'm in. What's more fun than trying to start a fresh life in the face of constant intrusions from the darker recesses of our psyche? 

Huge thanks for putting this out there. Looking forward to delving, musing, and making new connections. 

(No way my beloved Skanthi accepted Lunar gold! It's Blini propaganda, I tell ya. :))  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, if anyone spots any errors, typos etc, then please let me know here and I will review and update the supplement where necessary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, soltakss said:

By the way, if anyone spots any errors, typos etc, then please let me know here and I will review and update the supplement where necessary.

I checked the table of contents and it looks great. Cool monsters and illumination. Fun for the whole family. 😅

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soltakss said:

By the way, if anyone spots any errors, typos etc, then please let me know here and I will review and update the supplement where necessary.

There’s an (A) missing from the rumours status list.

Also, I maintain that you’re wrong that Bolthor is king of Talastar, even though the Guide says so (because I believe the Guide is also in error here). 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

p. 23: "As a Dryad, she can command any Fixed INT creature born in her Grove"

Fixed INT is no longer a thing - unintelligent beasts rather have no INT stat (this assumes you're aiming for RQG compliance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nick Underwood said:

It's Blini propaganda, I tell ya. :))  

While I realise this is a typo, to me one of the tribe’s signature dishes absolutely is their buckwheat pancakes. Served with sour cream and whatever roe you can get.

Edited by Akhôrahil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

whatever roe you can get

No, no, no!  Not "whatever" roe you can get!  You definitely don't want the walktapus roe!  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

No, no, no!  Not "whatever" roe you can get!  You definitely don't want the walktapus roe!  😉

Walktapodes reproduce sexually? Now there’s an image worthy of hentai!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Walktapodes reproduce sexually? Now there’s an image worthy of hentai!

eughhhhhhhhh listen we all wanna fuck the monsters.

but not the walktopodes. not the walktopodes.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Walktapodes reproduce sexually? Now there’s an image worthy of hentai!

Hello? Thanatari Inc.? Yes, I need something erased from my mind immediately.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

Hello? Thanatari Inc.? Yes, I need something erased from my mind immediately.

<ahem>
Not even THEY want this image.

Instead, they'll take everything else... and leave your mind cycling on this forever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

eughhhhhhhhh listen we all wanna fuck the monsters...

Some of them...

 

5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

... but not the walktopodes. not the walktopodes.

Dunno, Q.  Dunno.

Have you seen some of that old-school Japanese woodcut art?

It...

hmmm...

Well... let's just say that the current generations who are impressed with their kink... need some better history.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

While I realise this is a typo, to me one of the tribe’s signature dishes absolutely is their buckwheat pancakes. Served with sour cream and whatever roe you can get.

No. I've actually been mentally calling them Blini all along! (I'll add it to my list just under Waltakapus... ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick Underwood said:

No. I've actually been mentally calling them Blini all along! (I'll add it to my list just under Waltakapus... ) 

Two of my players seem locked into "Odyala".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

p. 23: "As a Dryad, she can command any Fixed INT creature born in her Grove"

Fixed INT is no longer a thing - unintelligent beasts rather have no INT stat (this assumes you're aiming for RQG compliance).

Similarly, p. 24: "Resists spells and spirit combat with POW rather than Magic Points"

The former is already in RQG, the second is governed by Spirit Combat skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, g33k said:

Some of them...

 

Dunno, Q.  Dunno.

Have you seen some of that old-school Japanese woodcut art?

It...

hmmm...

Well... let's just say that the current generations who are impressed with their kink... need some better history.

I took a year-long graduate student seminar at Harvard on erotic art of the Edo era, trust me, I'm more than familiar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:
On 6/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, soltakss said:

By the way, if anyone spots any errors, typos etc, then please let me know here and I will review and update the supplement where necessary.

There’s an (A) missing from the rumours status list.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

p. 23: "As a Dryad, she can command any Fixed INT creature born in her Grove"

Fixed INT is no longer a thing - unintelligent beasts rather have no INT stat (this assumes you're aiming for RQG compliance).

Thanks, I wasn't sure how RQG handled that but couldn't be bothered hunting through it. I'll look in the Glorantha Bestiary to see what it says.

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Similarly, p. 24: "Resists spells and spirit combat with POW rather than Magic Points"

The former is already in RQG, the second is governed by Spirit Combat skill.

Thanks, i missed that completely in the RQG rules.

23 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Also, I maintain that you’re wrong that Bolthor is king of Talastar, even though the Guide says so (because I believe the Guide is also in error here). 🙂 

I am not going to change, it, mainly to keep consistent with the Guide, but thanks for still fighting the lost cause!

 

Edited by soltakss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dissolv said:

Purchased.  Sad for no POD.  Will read it tonight.

 

11 hours ago, jongjom said:

Will there be a POD copy? Thanks

I am looking into it. I have been reliably told that it should be fairly easy, maybe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

And before I give another impression through corrections, this is an excellent product! Highly recommended!

Many thanks.

Also, no problem regarding the typos. I asked for them anyway.

Unfortunately, I am not yet well-conversed in the differences in RQG, so still have RQ2/3 floating around in my head. 

I rely on those less encumbered with old stuff to correct me and, in the spirit of Father Ikadz, to punish me terribly for my errors.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

While I realise this is a typo, to me one of the tribe’s signature dishes absolutely is their buckwheat pancakes. Served with sour cream and whatever roe you can get.

I should have thought of that, grrrr.

21 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:
21 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Walktapodes reproduce sexually? Now there’s an image worthy of hentai!

eughhhhhhhhh listen we all wanna fuck the monsters.

but not the walktopodes. not the walktopodes.

Ah, I really wanted it to not go towards Hentai, although it is perfectly possible to do a secrets of Dorastor Hentai-version, just not under the Jonstown Compendium. Also, i had to google Hentai to find out what it meant. The images seem rather tame for Dorastor.

15 hours ago, g33k said:
17 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Hello? Thanatari Inc.? Yes, I need something erased from my mind immediately.

<ahem>
Not even THEY want this image.

Instead, they'll take everything else... and leave your mind cycling on this forever.

You see, Thanatar has its uses.

15 hours ago, g33k said:
21 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

eughhhhhhhhh listen we all wanna fuck the monsters...

Some of them...

I have always had a soft spot for Succubi.

Nick would say a boyish enthusiasm, but I'll take what I can get.

15 hours ago, g33k said:
21 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

... but not the walktopodes. not the walktopodes.

Dunno, Q.  Dunno.

Have you seen some of that old-school Japanese woodcut art?

It...

hmmm...

Well... let's just say that the current generations who are impressed with their kink... need some better history.

Those tentacles definitely have their uses.

Of course, you have to be careful, as Walktapi generally tear each other apart in a mating frenzy.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have had my first review for Secrets of Dorastor.

Five Stars: If you have any interest at all in Dorastor, then BUY THIS BOOK! Yes, book. This monstrosity is over 250 pages, chock full from beginning to end. Quality stuff. And the secrets! But I cannot share those, so let me mention just a few of the great things about Secrets of Dorastor. Scenario Hooks: There are text boxes sprinkled throughout with ways to entangle adventurers into the creatures and features of Dorastor. Imagine if a Master Gamemaster laid out his or her brain for all to see and learn from. Okay, maybe don’t imagine that, but imagine if he or she shared knowledge with you. All the tips and tricks for running a campaign in Dorastor are here. New, New, New: Crazy number of new creatures, spells, and items. It says 15 magic items on the back, but the author must have left a zero off the end. For example, there is a Treasures section near the end, with all sorts of new magic items, besides all the Things and items scattered throughout. Most have the taint of chaos you would expect of anything found in Dorastor, but there are some truly great things that can be found anywhere in Glorantha as well. Artwork: I am a fan of artwork and Secrets has plenty, old and new. It was nice to see some of the old pieces of art in here. Anyways, if none of that has you interested in purchasing Secrets of Dorastor, then I don’t know what will. I am very happy to have bought this product and I look forward to future purchases from him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...