Men of the West

M Helsdon

Now up for sale.

Men of the West

The timeless appeal of the legends of the Hero Wars has resulted in an enduring interest in the period.

Surviving texts, supplemented by archaeological evidence, are used here as the basis of this reconstruction of the combatants of the initial phases of that world-shattering conflict.

This volume is a companion to The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass.

Many mercenaries and adventurers from the West have been drawn to the conflict in Dragon Pass. Their homelands of Seshnela, Fronela, and Ralios are also fighting their own Hero Wars.

Seshnela strives to impose the ambition of One God, One King, One Empire on the divided city-states and kingdoms of Ralios, where many look to the long-prophesied return of the hero Arkat for their salvation. In Fronela the idealists of Loskalm must confront the bloodthirsty armies of the Kingdom of War raging across the land bringing destruction and death. And there are yet more threats and perils.

This book presents details of the warriors, soldiers and mercenaries fighting during opening periods of the Hero Wars, their arms and armor, their ships, their cultures, histories and organization, terrain, the battlefields on which they fought, their fortifications, their magic, and their religions.

Army Lists provide details of some of the regiments which fought in these epic conflicts, supplemented by numerous illustrations of the participants.

Warning: adult themes - some aspects of Bronze Age warfare may be distressing. There is also a description of Gloranthan sorcery.

Note: The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass provides details of arms and armor, formations and many other things useful to the reader.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/325525/Men-of-the-West?src=newest_community

mow front.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Sweet!  Purchased.  I've been eyeing the Gripping Beast Late Roman Cataphracts as a possible chain mail free option for the men of the west.  When I've got a chance to read through it carefully I'll try to figure out what may or may not best for the figures!

POD would still be something I am interested in, but I take it that ship has sailed.

GBP28 Late Roman Cataphracts

30 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

They aren't canonical...

Maybe not officially, but they're so well done and in depth compared to what we had that they might as well be! My future campaigns will probably use your material heavily as a resource.

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Doesn't mean they aren't super super useful :) 

Congrats on the new release! It's going into my next batch DTRPG purchase.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Minlister said:

I confess I was never really interested in the West, but this book could convert me! Of course the art is splendid (the Pralori mercenary, p. 139 may be my favourite!) but the text is also a gold mine of information! Let's hope future canon books will build on this one!

Before I started, I was a little cool on the West, but the further you dig the more interesting it becomes.

Be warned that whilst it is based on canon, some old (some very old) material was used, though that is often flagged in some way, and the rest was... made up.

15 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Congratulations on writing the #1 bestseller on DriveThruRPG!

Thank you. I am very surprised.

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Be warned that whilst it is based on canon, some old (some very old) material was used, though that is often flagged in some way, and the rest was... made up.

Lol.  It's all made up!  

I appreciate the work on a number of levels.  A big one is simply a skeleton of how the West works, so that if my players ever get a hankering to go there, or a plot arc comes up that makes sense for the lands of Ralios or such to appear, then I've got at least this, plus the Guide to work something out.   That's far, far more than I've had for years, and we had a sorcerer from Ralios as soon as 3rd Ed. dropped.  I scrambled, and it worked out, but the homeland always remained annoyingly undefined.  

Sometimes you just need *something*.  My original take on the land west of the Holy Country was a giant savage forest full of Picts.  (RQ2 book only) This made for a fun adventure, but when it was later shown to be wrong, it required a lot of furious backpedaling.   Plausibly close is still extremely useful to all the GM's out there.  Thanks!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dissolv said:

Sweet!  Purchased.  I've been eyeing the Gripping Beast Late Roman Cataphracts as a possible chain mail free option for the men of the west.  When I've got a chance to read through it carefully I'll try to figure out what may or may not best for the figures!

There are a number of makes of potentially useful figures.

Personally, I see Parthian and Sassanid cataphracts as a reasonably close fit, and there are a number of manufacturers. Sarmatians, Bactrians, as well.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, M Helsdon said:

They aren't canonical...

🥰  They are... hrmm...  shall we say, "less non-canonical" ... than any other source we have available!  😇  

😁

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well, it's now Copper on DriveThruRPG.

Am a little surprised as the West is probably a niche of a niche.

Not certain there will be another in this series, as for other regions my available information is basically the Guide and perhaps one or two of the Stafford Library books, so less easy to work in, without copying. In comparison, the center of Genertela had masses of sources, and the West, whilst less developed, isn't short of 'seed' material. Other regions,  for my purposes, far less so.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 12:14 AM, lordabdul said:

Doesn't mean they aren't super super useful :) 

Congrats on the new release! It's going into my next batch DTRPG purchase.

It actually triggered mine...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 1 month later...