Runequest and vtt integration

Tentacled Whisperer

9 minutes ago, Skurn said:

A solution would be for chaosium to produce their own vtt. Id have thought it would be on their radar what with covid etc. Could be a gold mine if handled correctly. 

The best option is for Chaosium to license / appoint developers for each VTT with a premium store and get a system developed on which they get royalties. IMHO Chaosium is too small and not enough of an IT company to develop a VTT or get a VTT developed. Other shop are much better suited. And as I'm not an insider I wouldn't judge their plan for VTT at this point

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:19 AM, astaroth said:

I have a running "personal" system for Foundry VTT. Even the Character Sheet plus basic automation is not cleared for sharing by Chaosium and so will remain a "private" system.

Unless a license is secured with Chaosium, no compendium will ever be provided on VTT as it would be a clear breach of Chaosium IP. Each person would have to work on their own compendium for their campaign.

I'm confused by this, because there is a character sheet, that does quite a bit of automation, available on Roll20.  I understand about the Compendium issue, just not the Character sheet with automation. 

As for a Compendium, it is available for Call of Cthulu on Roll20, so, it would seem that there is at least a possibility for RuneQuest, although the player base may not( probably is not ) large enough at the moment

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, AndrewTBP said:

I’m a Roll20 Pro subscriber and Character Sheet developer already, so when I’ve got free time from January I’ll be working on Roll20 stuff to pass the time. 

Have you started working on the sheet?  I noticed the Luck Runes have been replaced with a D20.  I like the hover tips, but honestly miss the Luck runes.  They felt more Gloranthan, but they do make it less obvious what the buttons are for.

• Like 1

The BRP ruleset for Fantasy Ground has been updated and it is now functional again. It works nicely on Unity.

There's an unofficial RQG character sheet that you can find on the FG fora. It works but nothing to write home about.

You can still purchase all the monsters and spells for RQ3 under the BRP name.

In conclusion, with a bit of work you can run RQG and use the resources that in many cases port 1:1. 

However, for my game I have decided to go for Roll20, mostly because of the cost of the FG ultimate licence.

Something Chaosium could do quite easily as an income stream is just put a few sets of tokens into the Roll20 store.  It shouldnt be too much work (I would have thought) and it totally enhances playing the game.

I would immediately buy an adventurer set - supplementary cults adventurers - chaos - trolls - elves - dwarves - praxian nomads - Lunars - Orlanthi and then I might start to think a bit more closely about whether I should be spending more money....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenMcG said:

Something Chaosium could do quite easily as an income stream is just put a few sets of tokens into the Roll20 store.  It shouldnt be too much work (I would have thought) and it totally enhances playing the game.

I would immediately buy an adventurer set - supplementary cults adventurers - chaos - trolls - elves - dwarves - praxian nomads - Lunars - Orlanthi and then I might start to think a bit more closely about whether I should be spending more money....

Just to say, I have bought ALL of the token sets currently on DriveThru...

On 1/29/2021 at 4:28 PM, Marc said:

Hmm. Well, somebody has.

I made changes based on a request from Chaosium.  Just a heads Roll20 is about to make major changes to the character sheets which are on their development/testing server at the moment and they intend on releasing them to the live server in two weeks .  It hopefully shouldn't create any problems with the current sheets in the   short time but at some point they intend to turn of legacy support.  Hard to tell at the moment what effects this will have. 

There’s still no Foundry VTT Runequest integration at the most basic level?

This is a real shame, Foundry is leaps and bounds ahead of the other VTTs and has a very open attitude, with ever expanding community-driven content/ plug-ins that make the system eminently customisable, and the perfect bespoke fit for a particular group’s needs. You can make it as simple or as complex as your group wants.

But there’s no basic RQ module‽ 

Shame Chaosium isn’t embracing this, especially given the situation at the moment and, one presumes, the company’s desire to get Glorantha and Runequest out into new territories and into the hands of as many new players as possible.

Edited by Pnick
  • Like 1

I hope you will excuse my poor english, I never speak or write that language.

We use foundry vtt and roll20 with my gaming group. Since there is no rqg system for foundry and I have no coding skills, I will run a Glorantha campaign with Fate Core. It had me work a bit to adapt the rules to Glorantha and I'm not entirely satisfied yet. And I mostly play rpgs with good vtt integration with my friends. Currently, warhammer and d5 and I'll perhaps join a degenesis campaign with foundry.

It would be great if Chaosium found a way to permit fan communities to implement basic systems on other vtt than roll20 and fantasy grounds.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:01 AM, Skurn said:

... Tbh it's not like a vtt is a complicated bit if software ...

The evidence suggests otherwise.

Nobody rolls out full-featured VTT's from the start; it's always via stepwise incremental improvements in the feature set.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:01 AM, Skurn said:

... The value would be the integration, the journals, char sheets etc. 

I would consider this part of the VTT.

Otherwise it's just a mapping accessory to whatever your TableTop is (V or otherwise).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, astaroth said:

Hello,

Still working on my RQG for Foundry system and running my 2 campaigns on it.

For now I only have "permission" for private use and cannot share it.

Any word on this? Any word from Chaosium on approval or acceptance?

• 5 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Beorne said:

I think I have read on fb that Starter set will come out with some VTT integration ... I hope so.

That would be fantastic, if true!!!

But it sounds like a (false) rumor, or just wishful thinking...
Chaosium has been promo'ing the heck out of the new Starter Set box, and haven't (that I've seen) mentioned anything VTT...

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

That would be fantastic, if true!!!

But it sounds like a (false) rumor, or just wishful thinking...
Chaosium has been promo'ing the heck out of the new Starter Set box, and haven't (that I've seen) mentioned anything VTT...

It is a quote from Rick Meints, I think he is an important person here.

4 hours ago, Beorne said:

It is a quote from Rick Meints, I think he is an important person here.

I'd hazard a guess they will get round to it eventually but I'm pretty sure I heard Rick say at a recent ImpromptuCon that they (understandably) have very limited capacity, are somewhat beholden to Roll20 themselves and CoC is a priority. The Starter Set is an obvious first product to virtualise. I'd love to be proved wrong but I wouldn't hold your breath.