CLASSIC FANTASY - A Return to the Dawn of Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

Ok, here is the Displacer Cat done up using the original AD&D font as well as Scott's awesome artwork. In addition I threw in a bonus monster (also using Scott's artwork) just to give the page a more finished look. Just don't expect a bonus critter every month however. :P

Again, this does not necessarily represent the final stats, description, format, font, font size, spelling, grammar, writer... you get the idea. ;)

PS - Click the link to go to the download file

Classic Fantasy Monster Preview - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Rod,

Thanks for answering my fatigue questions.

I love Classic Fantasy and I will be running it for my group for the first time on July 28, 2012.

However, I have a few more questions:

1. Morale: I have seen the statistic in creature stats in some module conversions, but it is never explained. When do monsters need to make moral checks? How is morale calculated?

2. Alignment: The CF book discusses “alignment improvement rolls” in the example on page 15 of the book, but it never explains exactly what an “alignment improvement roll” is. Do you merely subtract your current alignment pints from 100 and roll under that result to improve alignment?

Also, the CF book talks about getting a set number of points based on character actions. However, the Allegiance system from Basic Roleplaying pg 315 has the player roll 1D6 for improvement, as with any other skill. Which system is correct? A combination?

I still own the rights to Classic Fantasy however and have been thinking of other options. I still plan on having volumes two and three come out as monographs, but may do my own thing with them as well. Anything from converting it to one of the open source D100 rulesets to making my own.

I'm very happy to hear that you're keeping your options open. While there are advantages to publishing through Chaosium, I would assume that there are also serious advantages to moving elsewhere as well.

70/420

There was talk about it a while back, then nothing. I doubt it will happen now that Magic World is on the horizon.

Shame. There seems to be many BRP Fantasy derivative lately which is both good and bad I guess.

I still own the rights to Classic Fantasy however and have been thinking of other options. I still plan on having volumes two and three come out as monographs, but may do my own thing with them as well. Anything from converting it to one of the open source D100 rulesets to making my own.

Rod

Of course! I just hope it will stay either BRP or RQ6 in the end, or maybe Legend.

Rod,

Thanks for answering my fatigue questions.

I love Classic Fantasy and I will be running it for my group for the first time on July 28, 2012.

However, I have a few more questions:

1. Morale: I have seen the statistic in creature stats in some module conversions, but it is never explained. When do monsters need to make moral checks? How is morale calculated?

Morale is fully explained in book III, however I see no reason why I can't include it here.

Morale: This number represents the percentage chance that a given monster will stay and continue to fight when the situation has taken a turn for the worse. Typically, this will be when it has been reduced to below half its hit points over time, suffered a major wound, when it is out classed, or when some other unforeseen situation has arisen that puts it at a disadvantage. This does not imply that an intelligent opponent will stay and try to fight off hundreds of adversaries, it serves as a guideline for the gamemaster to judge a monsters determination and will to continue. The gamemaster may make this roll Easy or Difficult, or even choose to ignore it out right as he sees fit, and as the situation warrants. Some example of when to make a morale roll follow.

Reduced to 50% or fewer hit points Normal morale roll

Suffered a Major Wound (50% hit points in one hit) Difficult morale roll

Reduced to 25% or fewer hit points Difficult morale roll

Out numbered more than 2-1 by wimpy opposition Easy morale roll

Out numbered more than 2-1 by weaker opposition Normal morale roll

Out numbered more than 2-1 by equal opposition Difficult morale roll

Out numbered more than 2-1 by stronger opposition Morale roll at -50%

Ally casualties of more than 25% Easy morale roll

Ally casualties of more than 50% Normal morale roll

Ally casualties of more than 75% Difficult morale roll

Sorry about the formatting, don't know how to fix it but I think you can figure it out.

2. Alignment: The CF book discusses “alignment improvement rolls” in the example on page 15 of the book, but it never explains exactly what an “alignment improvement roll” is. Do you merely subtract your current alignment pints from 100 and roll under that result to improve alignment?

Also, the CF book talks about getting a set number of points based on character actions. However, the Allegiance system from Basic Roleplaying pg 315 has the player roll 1D6 for improvement, as with any other skill. Which system is correct? A combination?

Actually, I didn't add any of this stuff, its all in the BGB.

Increasing Alliegence page 316

This is performed identically to an experience check (see “Skill Improvement” on page 182 for details of how this works).

About the amount of points granted pg 317

"Following is a short list of actions that might draw the attention of divine beings or forces. For each action, it is suggested that you list the allegiance reward for an opposed action. Major activities could be worth as many as 3 points of allegiance, significant ones could be worth 2, and minor ones would be worth only 1 point. It is recommended that most allegiance point rewards be in the 1-2 point range.

The only part I found contradictory was the increase it by 1D6 points part, however I use the 1-3 point method method mentioned later as it is based on the actual actions taken.

Thanks and I hope this was helpful,

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Ok, here is the Displacer Cat done up using the original AD&D font as well as Scott's awesome artwork. In addition I threw in a bonus monster (also using Scott's artwork) just to give the page a more finished look. Just don't expect a bonus critter every month however. :P

Again, this does not necessarily represent the final stats, description, format, font, font size, spelling, grammar, writer... you get the idea. ;)

PS - Click the link to go to the download file

Classic Fantasy Monster Preview - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Rod

That is so making an appearance in the next session.

My players give you their thanks in advance.

Got to add that while I'm not using pure CF as written for my Greyhawk campaign (3 sessions in now) it has proven to be a monumental help in converting over from 3.5/Pathfinder. A massive thanks to you for making my life one hell of a lot easier in the transition.

Okay; enough love, on with the writing.

Rod,

Will Classic Fantasy II include the AD&D trap monsters like rot grubs, mimics, lurkers above, rust monsters, etc...?

I think the only one of those that I don't have planned at this time is the rot grub..., but, you never know.

Rod

Thanks for the Monster preview :) but is there any chance you will change the font? I don't know, but to me I just found it disturbing looking at a modern font for a classic setting ... sorry. ;) Might be the font just seems too close to the BTRC products I referenced for a long time and did not find them easy to read.

No offense, though. I still like what I read so far ;t)

Thanks for the Monster preview :) but is there any chance you will change the font? I don't know, but to me I just found it disturbing looking at a modern font for a classic setting ... sorry. ;) Might be the font just seems too close to the BTRC products I referenced for a long time and did not find them easy to read.

No offense, though. I still like what I read so far ;t)

No offense taken. I have no idea what font will be used when the time comes. However what I did use was not a modern font. Its "Century Gothic", and was used for all the early 1st edition AD&D adventures. So while I don't know at this time if I will use it or not (not really the most important thing I have going at this time), it most defiantly is a classic font for a classic setting. The only thing that would be a better fit would be "Futura Lt Bt". This is a clone of the font that was used in the 1st ed. player’s handbook, dungeon masters guide and monster manual, but I can't seem to find it right now. If anyone has it, please let me know, I would love to get my hands on it.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Thats it. Thanks. I'll do up another PDF after I get home from work tonight and post it tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Rod

Rod,

I ran my first Classic Fantasy game yesterday and it was a lot of fun. However, a few issues came up in the game:

1. Picking up a Dropped Weapon: Will your opponent get a free attack if you are engaged in combat and pick up a dropped weapon?

This came up when my monsters would fumble and drop their weapon, but since picking up a weapon only takes 1 action they could immediately pick it up with no negative effect.

2. Standing from Prone Position: Same as above, does this provoke a free attack in melee?

3. Zone of Control: Once you enter your opponents ZOC, can you more within the 1 square radius to try to get on his flank, or does all movement end until you can kill/disable the opponent or disengage?

4. Spiritual Hammer: Would the be subject to the same bonuses or penalties as the cleric wielding it? For example, would it get the dwarven +10% bonus on melee attack rolls against orcs, half-orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins? Would the hammer suffer the -20% penalty against tiny opponents? Or is it just a straight POWx5%?

5. Stone Skin Spell: The Magic User Spell List on page 86 lists this spell as a common spell, but the spell description on page 134 says that it is uncommon. Which is correct?

6. Arrows: Each arrow has an ENC of .5 which is the same as a bow. Shouldn't a single arrow be less encumbering than the bow? Should each arrow have a .05 ENC?

Rod,

I ran my first Classic Fantasy game yesterday and it was a lot of fun. However, a few issues came up in the game:

1. Picking up a Dropped Weapon: Will your opponent get a free attack if you are engaged in combat and pick up a dropped weapon?

Yes

2. Standing from Prone Position: Same as above, does this provoke a free attack in melee?

Yes

3. Zone of Control: Once you enter your opponents ZOC, can you more within the 1 square radius to try to get on his flank, or does all movement end until you can kill/disable the opponent or disengage?

This follows the same rules as "Moving through a Zone of Control". Essentially, movement stops when you enter the ZOC, continued movement (with another action) will provoke a free attack. Normal defense rolls may still be made of course. So you can try to get around behind him, but he isn't going to just stand there watching you. ;)

4. Spiritual Hammer: Would the be subject to the same bonuses or penalties as the cleric wielding it? For example, would it get the dwarven +10% bonus on melee attack rolls against orcs, half-orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins? Would the hammer suffer the -20% penalty against tiny opponents? Or is it just a straight POWx5%?

Straight POWx5%

5. Stone Skin Spell: The Magic User Spell List on page 86 lists this spell as a common spell, but the spell description on page 134 says that it is uncommon. Which is correct?

Should be Uncommon... damn gremlins

6. Arrows: Each arrow has an ENC of .5 which is the same as a bow. Shouldn't a single arrow be less encumbering than the bow? Should each arrow have a .05 ENC?

This is more of a BRP issue and not a CF one as it is from the BGB. I see your point however. I see no reason why houseruling an arrow to .05 ENC would be earth shattering (Realm shattering?). As a house rule, I kind of like "A quiver of arrows has .5 ENC", and ignore the individual arrows so the character doesn't have to recalculate every round.

Thanks for the questions,

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Rod,

Thanks for promptly answering my questions!

I just uploaded an actions chart for Classic Fantasy.

I needed to make this to run my game. Maybe others will find it useful.

Yes

Yes

This follows the same rules as "Moving through a Zone of Control". Essentially, movement stops when you enter the ZOC, continued movement (with another action) will provoke a free attack. Normal defense rolls may still be made of course. So you can try to get around behind him, but he isn't going to just stand there watching you. ;)

Straight POWx5%

Should be Uncommon... damn gremlins

This is more of a BRP issue and not a CF one as it is from the BGB. I see your point however. I see no reason why houseruling an arrow to .05 ENC would be earth shattering (Realm shattering?). As a house rule, I kind of like "A quiver of arrows has .5 ENC", and ignore the individual arrows so the character doesn't have to recalculate every round.

Thanks for the questions,

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for promptly answering my questions!

I checked and don't see it. Did it not upload? If so could you link to it?

I'm sure I would find it useful as well.

Rod

Rod,

Thank you sir, I will find this useful. For those looking for it, heres the link...

Classic Fantasy Action Chart - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Rod