Chaosium announces clay tablet cuneiform edition of RuneQuest RPG

MOB

1 minute ago, Kloster said:

What about shipping and handling cost: The weight should be close to 2 (metric) tons!

"Negotiations are also underway with Chaosium’s partners in print-on-demand – or should we say 'kiln-on-demand'? – to make select Jonstown Compendium community content releases available in the format; "Eh. It's not the most impractical idea they've had," noted Meredith Gerber, Chaosium's company rep at DriveThruRPG."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Bah. Cuneiform doesn't have any accents or weird punctuation conventions: translating into French is much tougher. @Minlister

French has no weird punctuation and accents. English is just missing some parts of the alphabet.

By the way, Nick, your french on Deadcrows forum is more than correct (even if typically british). You should have no problem translating from ancient persian to modern french.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kloster said:

By the way, Nick, your french on Deadcrows forum is more than correct (even if typically british). You should have no problem translating from ancient persian to modern french.

Thank you ever so much for saying so. I take a lot of care when I post in French, for obvious reasons, and I’m delighted to hear it works. (I’m also very proud of the ratings and reviews our French translation is racking up — it’s clear that Vivien & Franck did good work there)

Edited by Nick Brooke
link added
  • Like 2

Our clay tablet announcement yesterday features a genuine passage transliterated from the RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha rulebook, thanks to https://dumbcuneiform.com. And there's a prize going to the first ardent Gloranthaphile/Assyriologist who can decipher it!

(BTW for Glorantha context, Old Persian Cuneiform was very much the New Pelorian of its day, 525 BC.)

78828520_20210322_205558copy.thumb.png.83585bb153809f0bb8b192376563206c.png
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin said:

An accuurate translation of Old Persian cuneiform of course depends on  many deductions  of  Anquetil-Duperron and Antoine Isaac Silvestre de Sacy, and later conformations and clarificatios by Eugène Burnouf whuch remain open to debate by scholars

Fortunately though, because this is Dumb Cuneiform after all, all anyone needs to do here is a transliteration:

874904448_ScreenShot2021-04-02at9_21_01pm.png.c8640ec430e06395852c2a19db4bb457.png

I had a go at translitterating with a sign-list, but it didn't seem to make a lot of sene after the first few words (unlike the cuneiform text on Mythras Imperative, which had a few wrong phonemes due to, I presume, key-mapping on the font they used, but was entirely comprehensible).

ka-m-ba-t i-n ru-n-(e)-ku-(e)-s-t s vi-sa-ra-l = combat in Runequest is(?) visceral(?)

But after that...

RQtablet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Nerval said:

"Combat in runequest is visceral and always potentially deadly. Players should be mindful that even the least trollkin can take out your..."

Then it cuts off.

Those lazy scribes, the tablet text should have advised the reader to 

Turn.png.8d7b3235a46a4bd1b68c35731b8d2bae.png

'PTO' cuneiform continues on other side...

But congrats @Nerval you translated the text perfectly! You get an experience check for your Old Persian skill.

Also messaging you about your prize.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4