Backford Aeolian Campaign

Erol of Backford

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Reading through the 100's of posts (tab 34, its taking a long time to read through this stuff) I am used to Sun County in Sartar, p12 of Escape From Duckland and Adventures in the Land of the Sun, I also picked up the trilogy of Sandheart but not familiar with Vanntar? Is Sun County in Sartar the same as Vanntar, it's old name? Is there an actual map that shows the boundaries of Vanntar or is it the same as Sun County? Who would be the Lakarnos contact there and or would there be an Issaries shrine at or near the Sartar Sundome?

The area around Vanntar south of Sartar is Sun Dome County, while the Praxian one (which has two domes) is only Sun County.

The Dragon Pass boardgame or the Sartar Tribal Map show the extent of Vanntar/Sun Dome County.

I doubt that Lokarnos is anywhere as important in Vanntar as in Sun County. Issaries is the trading cult of all the traffic around Vanntar. Shrines are everywhere, for instance on the Sartar highways, but it would be strange if there was none in Vanntar, even if some other cult took over the Argan Argar market there that the Kitori would have had.

Also where is there detail on who's who in the Sartar, Sun County from 1600 ~ 1625 and the political relation with the Lunar Empire during that time?

Wyrm's Footnotes 15 has almost as much info as was published. Some detail is in the description of the Sun Dome file present at the Battle of Iceland in Orlanth is Dead.

Sun Dome County sent mercenaries to whoever paid them. After the conquest of Boldhome, the Sartarites were out of funds. The Holy Country might have been able to afford them, but the 1605 invasion into Heortland met no significant resistance.

One other question back in the late 80's my friends and I learned to really dislike Halcyon var Enkorth. What happens to him and who is slimier than him in all of Glorantha? Did he somehow die? Did he take revenge on Bluebird? Who was the unnamed oger with him noted on page 48 of Griffin Mountain?

What happens between Bluebird and Halcyon is pretty much up to your experience of Griffin Mountain. While Halcyon makes his re-appearance as successor of Sor-eel in Pavis, Bluebird doesn't get any further mention, but then he is just a scholar from New Crystal City on a personal quest of redemption, without the might of the Empire behind him.

Spoiler

Bluebird's lost companion is one of the "passengers" in Gondo Holst's wagon. The ogre might not be that unnamed.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is Sun County in Sartar the same as Vanntar, it's old name? Is there an actual map that shows the boundaries of Vanntar or is it the same as Sun County?

Yes, Vanntar is the Sun County of Sartar.  For boundaries, have a look at the clan map Jeff shared on FB. 

It's south of the Stream, to the west of the Locaem lands (as shown in Pegasus Plateau book), north of the Auroch Hills, and east of Beast Valley. 

Who would be the Lakarnos contact there and or would there be an Issaries shrine at or near the Sartar Sundome?

There will be an Issaries shrine at or near the Sun Dome - they want trade goods as much as anyone.

When thinking about Issaries and Lokarnos, it's easiest to think of the first as the merchant and the second as the wagon-driver.  They go together (particularly throughout Peloria) when they travel, and I would include that of merchants traveling to the Sun Dome. 

There are no noted figures in these roles to date - just make up whatever contacts you need.

my friends and I learned to really dislike Halcyon var Enkorth. What happens to him and who is slimier than him in all of Glorantha? Did he somehow die?

Who didn't dislike Halcyon?  He was meant to be disliked. 🙂

Read some of MOB's stories about Sun County.  Halcyon (with Marusa in tow) becomes Governor of Prax after the Cradle.  He's there up to the Dragonrise.  What happens after that is unknown.

Where is the best description of how to bind a ghost or spirit into an enchantment? We are still using the old 1990's AH version of the rules but have the new system (didn't read it yet)

I was and still am confused about how to overcome said entity. I always thought it was total current MP versus MP not power versus power but really don't know?

It would be great if there were an example of spirit combat using spirit block, etc. in order to bind one...

How would you break and existing binding and move said spirit and or ghost into a new enchantment, if possible?

How would one slay a "polar bear" and bind its spirit into it skin (without simply saying the character is a hero and can do that) Is it explained somewhere? Say you have a spirit binding enchantment and you place a spirit into it can you not transfer it to another enchantment?

I am recalling lots of mad-head ghosts which you can break the enchantment binding them but would you be able to bind them into another enchantment at the time the original enchantment being broken? It says the become simple ghosts after the enchantment is broken.

26 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Where is the best description of how to bind a ghost or spirit into an enchantment?

Much easier to use RQG in this regard.  You need to engage in Spirit Combat with the spirit, and then bring its MP to 0.  Spirit Block is used to keep you from taking Spirit Combat Damage inflicted by the spirit so you don't get possessed.

(Edit: if you haven't read RQG yet, then Spirit Combat is a Magical skill and both you and the ghost have a skill %.  Spirit Combat uses the Opposed Rolls method - each make a roll, and then refer to the difference in level of success.  E.g. if you Succeed and ghost Fails, then you deliver Spirit Combat Damage, and ghost does not.  Spirit Combat damage is calculated based on your POW+CHA and reduces the MP of the target.)

Once the MP reaches 0, you command the spirit to enter the enchantment, and can use it subsequently.  It is always best to use a Command Spirit spell when releasing it from the enchantment to tell it what to do and then return to the enchantment, otherwise it will perform an action and return to the Spirit World.

Edited by jajagappa

I am finally about 1/2 way through the forum tabs and found "Aeolian Church - Heortland" from 2016 and "Deep background history of the Sun Dome Temple". Lots of great info there and thank you all once again. Joerg, Jeff and Jaja especially.

Related to Sun Dome, I have WFN 15 and am surprised the Sun Dome in Sartar seems to be a slave state with nearly 1/3 the population are Ergeshi serfs?!

Does anyone know of sources on any of the settlements as there are 6~8 shown near the Sun Dome Temple? Are there any maps of Vanntar or these smaller settlements? Should I assume they are similar to those in the Prax Sun County with walled villas say like Sandheart but the climate more temperate? Or would these settlements be more like Apple Lane? 

image.png.3356750ac9f4b2d3fd66db65cb98c2cd.png

image.png.965d5d3d813403d1b6db1839e07c2756.png

Great thread.

I've done some work on the Marches as I find the area very interesting.

My Glorantha is a bit divergent so not everything may fit more canonical campaigns, but this is an example:

After Refuge fell to Silkinster the Thunderer in 1278ST, he established Marcher County as a protective borderland between Hendrikiland and Prax. He created three new roles that would could be only be filled by Hendriki.

Firstly, the March would be governed by a count appointed by the king. The count, whilst remaining a vassal of the king, would hold Knight’s Fort and the surrounding land in sicut reagle. In other words they would rule without supervision in return for acting as the “king’s right arm” in defending Hendrikiland from attack from the east.

Additionally, with the exclusion of the count’s holdings, the land east of the Bandori Valley was given to those capable of taking it “to have and to hold”. They were to be divided into two classes, freesteaders and freeholders. 

Freesteaders were those capable of keeping a hide of land between the Marcher and Storm Rivers. They would be required to muster to the fyrd if needs be, and to pay a yearly tribute to the count. Beyond that, although remaining nominal vassals to the King - and later the appointed Governor of Heortland - they were free.

Freeholders were those who were able to keep at least five hides of land and who could build a fortified hold would become freeholders. They would be expected to keep a small garrison and defend their lands, as well as answering to the count’s muster. The tenants who farmed their lands would be under their protection, and the freeholder would pay a yearly tribute to the count based on the amount of land they held and the size of the garrison they maintained. As with the count, they would also rule sicut reagle, giving them an unusual level of freedom provided they defended the land from invaders from the east. The most powerful of the freeholders have become to be known as barons, although the title has no real meaning. The count and the barons are known collectively as the Lords of the March.

The coming of Belintar almost forty years later brought great changes to Hendrikiland, but little to the March itself. King Andrin the Stouthearted of the Hendrikings was defeated by the God King, then resurrected to become Belintar’s first governor of the renamed Heortland, now part of the Holy Country, along with the other lands Belintar had conquered around the Choralinthor Bay.

The laws of Belintar brought welcome civilisation and peace to many. The incessant tribal squabbling and raiding that was accepted as tradition under the Hendriki kings was proscribed. The influence of Esrolia to the west of the Choralinthor Bay brought further changes, most chiefly a greater freedom for women. And the long-oppressed Esulvari rose to prominence in the government of Heortland, free as they were of the petty tribal prejudices of their former oppressors. The changes sat ill with the more traditional Hendriki, and the trickle of settlers to Dragon Pass in the north increased to a steady stream. The land, devoid of human life for almost two-hundred years since the Dragonkill, offered people the chance to claim lands on which they could retain their traditional ways. In time, this led to the creation of the Kingdom of Sartar (in 1492 ST).

Others took advantage of the opportunities offered by the March, as now anyone who recognised the supremacy of Belintar could could carve out a slice of land to hold as their own in the March – or take it from those not strong enough to keep what they had built. Belintar saw emigration to what became Sartar as a way get rid of potentially troublesome people, and the March as a useful way to channel the energy of ambitious and equally potentially troublesome people, well aware that those who excelled in the March would often prove to be of worth to him elsewhere.

• Helpful 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:50 PM, Erol of Backford said:

I am finally about 1/2 way through the forum tabs and found "Aeolian Church - Heortland" from 2016 and "Deep background history of the Sun Dome Temple". Lots of great info there and thank you all once again. Joerg, Jeff and Jaja especially.

Related to Sun Dome, I have WFN 15 and am surprised the Sun Dome in Sartar seems to be a slave state with nearly 1/3 the population are Ergeshi serfs?!

Does anyone know of sources on any of the settlements as there are 6~8 shown near the Sun Dome Temple? Are there any maps of Vanntar or these smaller settlements? Should I assume they are similar to those in the Prax Sun County with walled villas say like Sandheart but the climate more temperate? Or would these settlements be more like Apple Lane? 

image.png.3356750ac9f4b2d3fd66db65cb98c2cd.png

image.png.965d5d3d813403d1b6db1839e07c2756.png

We got rid of the Sun County serfs. Greg and I were playing around with how Sun County might work in WF 15 but we weren't looking at things holistically. There is a whole Sun County book coming out which is far more useful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

We got rid of the Sun County serfs. Greg and I were playing around with how Sun County might work in WF 15 but we weren't looking at things holistically. There is a whole Sun County book coming out which is far more useful.

Did this affect the nature of fully initiated Kitori, too?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

So are the Ergeshi entirely gone then, or are they just not slaves anymore?

11 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

What would be a good plot lead to have Dwarves end up inhabiting the caverns below Rabbit Hat? Did any of the Flintnail members help build any part of Suntown in Pavis or even the Sundome incognito?

The Flintnail cult is absolutely responsible for construction and maintenance in Suntown, same as the rest of New Pavis, and if memory serves it's a matter of canon that they at least laid the foundations of Sun Dome.

In my campaign the players once infiltrated the Sun Dome vaults for a heist by posing as an architectural inspection crew from Dwarf Hill.

Per the Avalon Hill RG, (I think RQ3?) it seems it is fairly simple to create an enchantment and so why do more NPC's not have them? Tattoos don't cost all that much so you don't really need an expensive gold torque necklace to make/have an enchantment? (was reading some posts on enchanting) Is it just the purchasing of the spells costs more than people make in a year? Just curious and thanks again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

There is a lot posted on "Tell me about Elmal and Yelmalio" but is there an actual cult write-up for Elmal even if non canonical?

Yeah it's on RQG page 308 😛

In all seriousness, he had a Runequest writeup in the MRQ1 cult book, and two Heroquest versions in Storm Tribe and S:KoH.

22 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Per the Avalon Hill RG, (I think RQ3?) it seems it is fairly simple to create an enchantment and so why do more NPC's not have them? Tattoos don't cost all that much so you don't really need an expensive gold torque necklace to make/have an enchantment? (was reading some posts on enchanting) Is it just the purchasing of the spells costs more than people make in a year? Just curious and thanks again.

The normal reason is "the rules are written for PCs and don't actually reflect how Glorantha works". Players like being able to get cool magic shit, so the rules are designed to let them with minimal hassle.

Curious what would be the best alternate for the Hendriki Raiders if some of the PC's were Hendriki in the Pegasus plateau and you desired the antagonists to be more of a Lunar sympathizer type?

Another question, if you had to estimate how many ghouls were in the Woods of the Dead what would you guess? What about Black Rock proper? Also, how many slaves would there be any given day on average?

Would the Humakti turn undead affect Brangbane like a normal undead creature, even failure befuddles him until he fails an intelligence test? How/what would need to be converted to Runequest 3rd Ed/Avalon Hill...

If you took 100 Humakti with say 10 Swords could you clear out the Woods of the Dead over a period of time?

So since no one is interested in Bragbane (still interested in how many actual ghouls are in the woods if anyone has an opinion) being destroyed I'll ask another question.

So repeating that the campaign I am looking at runs from 1600:

If the twin adopted Agimori raised in Backford happen to befriend Londra (still looking for a plot connection following Apple Lane to get them with Londra) when she is getting started with the Temple of the Wooden Sword, travel travel with her off and on and end up going to the Haunted Ruins (on both occasions) to meet the Sazdorf Clan and actually play against or temporarily with the Whackers and Tacklers, I think it would be really fun to play out. They are like size 21~22 and are fast so Troll Ball would be fun no? Into Troll Realms and then Snake Pipe Hallow could follow. I have and love, a bunch of the old adventures.

How to get the PC's to Clearwine following Apple Lane to meet Londra and Nameless? Is White-eye a Sazdorf outlaw and there is a reward for him being returned as he stole some troll artifact and is hiding it in the Rainbow Mounds? Any ideas? Do they simply tag along with Londra on her way there and get drawn into it all?

Also along these lines how does a PC approach Nameless as a love interest over the timeframe ? Does anyone have ideas on she might be "tough and tender" as if one of the PC's was smitten with her it'd draw them back to Clearwine time and again? Just trying to spice up the campaign a bit.

Are the Dragons Past magazines/articles available for purchase or are the articles only available via the Wyrm’s Footnotes? I have most of the Tales of Reaching Moon magazines... (NVM on this I saw the bundle on the Chaosium site!)

Edited by Erol of Backford

On 11/8/2021 at 11:59 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Curious what would be the best alternate for the Hendriki Raiders if some of the PC's were Hendriki in the Pegasus plateau and you desired the antagonists to be more of a Lunar sympathizer type?

Depends on the year.  If post-Dragonrise, then the best Lunar sympathizers are... Lunar bandits!  Yes, while the Dragonrise consumed many Lunar soldiers, think of those stranded in the various garrisons.  Some were killed (as in Jonstown), but others have escaped into the wilds to become the "new" bandits in this era of Sartar, perhaps haunting the wilds of the Auroch Hills.

Also, the Olontongi are largely those settled warbands of King Broyan's who were not devoured by the demon who killed Broyan.  There are multiple groups here, perhaps in the process of becoming clans, perhaps in process of becoming bandits.  They include Wolf Pirates, who now are disgruntled because the promised loot from Boldhome has become a thing of the past, and may happily pursue any rumors of treasure.  Another warband here are the Night Jumpers, known for their ability to jump behind the enemy.

If pre-Dragonrise, then just look towards some of the natural divisions among the tribes.  T

he "Hendriki" are not one tribe.  The Sylangi were placed in position of authority over the Kultain by the Lunars.  The Sylangi and the Kultain have a long-outstanding feud anyway, so the Sylangi can stilled be blamed. 

Then there are the Bacofi, who live between Tarkalor's Road and the Kitori Wilds.  They have always been bandits and raiders, whether led by Lunar sympathizers or others.  And they will happily raid the Pegasus Plateau for its treasures.

On 11/8/2021 at 11:59 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Would the Humakti turn undead affect Brangbane like a normal undead creature, even failure befuddles him until he fails an intelligence test? How/what would need to be converted to Runequest 3rd Ed/Avalon Hill...

If you took 100 Humakti with say 10 Swords could you clear out the Woods of the Dead over a period of time?

If Brangbane was that easy to defeat, then someone (Tarkalor, the Lunar commander Jomes Wulf) might well have done so.  Brangbane is not as powerful as Delecti, but he seems to have gathered considerable power. 

I'd link Brangbane to particular artifacts - probably the finger bones of his victims.  Much like the horcrux of Voldemort, Brangbane will have hidden and disguised these throughout the Woods of the Dead (or even beyond).  Maybe one is in Gloomwillow?  But until these are all destroyed, Brangbane may be defeated, but not "killed".

14 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

How to get the PC's to Clearwine following Apple Lane to meet Londra and Nameless? Is White-eye a Sazdorf outlaw and there is a reward for him being returned as he stole some troll artifact and is hiding it in the Rainbow Mounds? Any ideas? Do they simply tag along with Londra on her way there and get drawn into it all?

It's a "big" city for western Sartar.  The Earth Temple is there!  Opportunities for blessings and magic (they can train your PC's in some spirit magics).  There's a Humakt shrine there!  Opportunities for acquiring other spirit magics.  The Thane of Apple Lane is from there (or was appointed by the Colymar King) - he/she will direct them there. 

As for whether White-eye is a Sazdorf outlaw - that's really up to your campaign.  If that fits what you need, make it so.

What is the best map showing the Hendriki tribes? Knowing some of the PC's are from Backford and are Aeolian are there any Hendriki that would be directly apposed to them?

The thoughts on Brangbane are interesting and will likely turn into multiple adventures and a long term campaign goal. There will be at least 2 Humakti in the party possible 3 or even 4 depending on how it goes...

Thank you for the info Jaja!

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

What is the best map showing the Hendriki tribes? Knowing some of the PC's are from Backford and are Aeolian are there any Hendriki that would be directly apposed to them?

There's no best map available yet, but there are certain things to be aware.

While there are tribes around Whitewall (e.g. Sylangi, Kultain, Bacofi, Curtali, Olontongi) and a large tribal confederation formed by Broyan (i.e. Volsaxi in the Marzeel Valley), once you are south of the Marzeel there are no tribes - they weren't needed/desired while Belintar ruled.

What you have are lots of Hendriki clans who generally oppose the idea of tribes, or who oppose the idea of any "king".  From the standpoint of clan rituals, Belintar was there as part of their rituals (he was a God after all), and from the standpoint of tribute, that was gathered by the Governor and whatever bureaucracy/tribute collectors they used (from 1460-1560 around Whitewall, the Kitori performed that task - then Tarkalor broke that arrangement).

If you grew up in or around Backford, then you are from one of the clans in that area.  Backford itself has ~7k inhabitants - large enough for roughly 3 clans to have formed a city confederation.  Likely one of the clans runs the market and takes tribute from the passage across the ford.  At least one of the other clans there likely derives its living from gathering salt and fish (and producing dried/salted fish for export, possibly fish oil too).  The clans probably have a couple names based on their founder, their occupation, a totem animal (figure at least one has the name of some fish), etc.

Aeolians in Backford would have been representatives of the Governor - probably associated with tribute collection, but might also have provided units of warriors (to avoid the clans deciding to rebel).  Aside from Aeolian nobles and wizard-priests, the Aeolian commoners are no different than Hendriki commoners - just would have been born somewhere south of Durengard, and more likely forming part of specific city guilds than any local clan.

• Thanks 3

Scott, thanks much for the link, (and to Jeff on the posts and maps found there on the Aeolians!) I am still catching up on having missed 15 years of Rune Quest ~ Glorantha, Scott, I also saw your old post on Ethilrist, I realize this is about a year late to enter that conversation but its quite interesting to me:

So what would be the 5 point plan to meet Ethilrist, serve him, gain his trust, earn a Black Horse mount and still be allowed to move on to other "brighter pastures" with the mount after a given time or tasks performed? If there are 2600 of these demonic mounts (not sure where I saw this number) who's to miss 2~3 of them? What if one of your campaign's PC's was an adopted Agmori Aeolian Emali who, of course loves fire and doesn't mind riding a horse, albeit a demonic one? Again we are playing RQ3 so not so much into the runes but would an Emali need to be, illuminated to be able to ride a Black Horse? Darkness versus Light or since Emal still has fire would it be an issue? Have stats on the Black Horse ever been published? This campaign is starting in about 1600 and is based in Backford but the PC's will be moving up via trade to Sundome, Clearwine and of course Greenbrass and Apple Lane... later, much later, I see an Agmori knight in armor riding a rather large Black Horse out in Prax as potentially very epic for the PC's... The clashes with the Kitori and their troll friends would almost certainly be welcomed through this time period... trolls are not to be trusted.

Edited by Erol of Backford

9 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

If there are 2600 of these demonic mounts (not sure where I saw this number) who's to miss 2~3 of them?

Probably 1) Ethilrist, who undoubtedly keeps close track upon his warriors; 2) the demon mounts, who are intelligent.

10 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Have stats on the Black Horse ever been published?

Yes!  RQG Bestiary p.182-3. 

• Like 1