No sailor profession ?

Agentorange

4 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I can’t help thinking that if the core rulebook gave you a Sailor profession, the next “strange omission” you’d highlight would be that there aren’t any ship rules....

...or that the starting playable area is pretty much land-locked anyway (Esrolia is a starting homeland but IIRC, the maps shown in the core rulebook only feature a little bit of the Mirrorsea Bay)

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

There's also the matter of what IS a "sailor".

Often the captain and one or two "officers" would really know navigation and sea lore (reading waves and weather) and ship-handling (in terms of what sails to set when, maneuvering/piloting) along with some leadership skill, while most of the crew may be relatively unskilled. What does it take to scrub potential slippery moss from growing on a wooden deck? Knowing carpentry (hull repair), how to sew (sail repair) and splice rope (more repairs), and understanding/performing commands relayed from the captain through the other officer(s) may suffice for crew. That's three "craft" skills for base crew.

That sort of makes two occupations: ship master, and ship crew. And maybe an apprenticeship path from the latter to the former (beginning to sound more like a cult: lay => initiate => rune master; or maybe a guild (with apprentice equating to more modern "mid-ship man", journeyman to lower officers, and master to... ship master/captain).

On 6/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Nick Brooke said:

I can’t help thinking that if the core rulebook gave you a Sailor profession, the next “strange omission” you’d highlight would be that there aren’t any ship rules, or naval combat rules, or sea monsters / mermen in the Bestiary, or a wide range of Sea cults… and so it goes.

(Unless you want to play a sailor who sticks to dry land, of course. Let us know)

On 6/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, svensson said:

THANK YOU.

And it isn't as if The Sea [islands, currents, tides, reefs, mythology, cults, folklore, ship rules, ship combat rules, cultural rules regarding which culture knows what about The Sea] isn't another whole freaking book all by itself. Or anything.

Really, everyone, can we all stop picking apart what isn't in the Core Rulebook? There is just ONE thing I'd like to be different in the Core Rulebook. I wish all the maps were more legible. That's it.

I'm not picking the core rulebook apart....i just thought it was odd  given there was a shiphandling skill.

Edited by Agentorange

On 6/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Nick Brooke said:

I can’t help thinking that if the core rulebook gave you a Sailor profession, the next “strange omission” you’d highlight would be that there aren’t any ship rules, or naval combat rules, or sea monsters / mermen in the Bestiary, or a wide range of Sea cults… and so it goes.

(Unless you want to play a sailor who sticks to dry land, of course. Let us know)

You know it's really weird you say that, because i've just noticed that there aren't any  ship rules, sea monsters........

Don't worry I'm quite happy to wait for a maritime styled supplement to come out, It'll undoubtedly look beautiful and be good fun.

Edited by Agentorange
typo

6 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Don't worry I'm quite happy to wait for a maritime styled supplement to come out, It'll undoubtedly look beautiful and be good fun.

Of course it will!

That's because, when it finally does come out, it'll be like every other 'book', and be beamed directly into your mind with full 4D effects that you can project outside through your cybernetic eye for others to see as well....

11 hours ago, Agentorange said:

You know it's really weird you say that, because i've just noticed that there aren't any ship ship rules, sea monsters........

According to the Weapons & Equipment book:

Detailed rules on ships larger than these, naval hazards and engagements, and the process of owning and maintaining a ship are in the RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:12 AM, Agentorange said:

This kind of surprised me, we have a Ship handling skill - which implies ships to handle.....

You mis-understand... Ship Handling isn't a skill so much as a perversion...  😝

Edited by Darius West

• 4 months later...

1D20

Occupation

Assistant Shaman

02-03

Crafter

Entertainer 

05-06

Farmer

07-09

Fisher

Healer

Herder

Marine

Martial Artist

Merchant

Mystic Student

Pirate

Priest

18-19

Sailor

Temple Guardian

The list of occupations to choose from in the Korolan Islands book, Vol 1, in Jonstown Compendium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Navigation skill (possibly baked into a Sea(s) Lore) is probably necessary, unless you rule that Celestial Lore already does this (I think CL might be insufficient, although an excellent skill to augment with).

And I would probably go with Area Lore [per Sea] analoguos to Homeland Lore, rather than introduce a new skill type.

If you want to get fancy, create both a Sailor and a Captain profession, with different skills - sailors don’t need the navigation or oratory, but do need crafts, climbing, and the like.

Edited by Akhôrahil

On 6/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, jajagappa said:

You forgot Speak to Parrots...

(Navigation can likely be covered by Celestial Lore.  Sea Lore likely encompasses knowledge of the many currents and the weather patterns.)

And Insult Sword Fighting...

Edited by Mugen

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 1:07 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Been thinking about that

There is definitely room for one or more oceanic supplements.  Especially since the Eastern Isles books are in Jonstown Compendium.  And Choralinthor Bay is a good candidate for adventures on the fringes of the current core area.  And on the current timeline the Wolf Pirates are significant actors.  And wouldn't any good Issaries dream of trade with Pamaltela?

I would copy or modify the ship handling rules from Blood and Plunder.   Mods are indicated for lack of several thousand years of sailing tech.

Naval combat; Ramming and boarding have been covered in other games, boardgames.  Again, most of that is in Blood and Plunder.  Ram rules for actual rams and not just colliisions are not but that is easy to add.

Sea monsters are definitely needed.  I thought mermen were in the Bestiary. Let me check that....We can begin with certain water beings which are in the Bestiary: Naiads and water elementals.  

This needs its own thread.  I will make one.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing. More thoughts.