Sun Wheel Ruin

Erol of Backford

On 10/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, Erol of Backford said:

I have to ask is it possible that one of the GWD's are Bet-Pot's helmet? Maybe he maintains an illusion on it?

I'd expect it more likely to be an iron pot than a gold one (all the GWD's would transform into gold tools, never other metals).  Plus, I don't see Beat-pot wielding Illusion magic (and it would have to be up constantly).  Beat-pot leads the Moonsword cult, so expect his magic to be tied to Moon and Death.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I'd expect it more likely to be an iron pot than a gold one (all the GWD's would transform into gold tools, never other metals).  Plus, I don't see Beat-pot wielding Illusion magic (and it would have to be up constantly).  Beat-pot leads the Moonsword cult, so expect his magic to be tied to Moon and Death.

Who would give an iron cooking pot to a Pentan slave chef? The point of Beat-Pot's helmet is that it is the one he had to work with when he was a slave, a piece of continuity.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, Joerg said:

Who would give an iron cooking pot to a Pentan slave chef? The point of Beat-Pot's helmet is that it is the one he had to work with when he was a slave, a piece of continuity.

We don't know anything particularly about said cooking pot.  It could have been magically enchanted, or just a basic bronze pot.  It was presumably something either in the kitchens he worked in (temple kitchen?) or that he served others from, but until someone explores in more detail, it's rather open-ended.  My point was more that a gold cooking pot was less likely than an iron one, and either of those seems unlikely.

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

It looks awfully shinny to me...

I don't think we should read anything into the "shininess" of a comic-style t-shirt illustration.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Do they still sell T-Shirts, suppose you could get it printed to one either way. Is there a high resolution image of this somewhere?

They were available at the earliest RQ Cons back in the 90s.  Think I got mine at the first US RQ Con.  They haven't been available since then to my knowledge.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Smalltown: This magical neighborhood is inhabited by
the mysterious “gold people” who accompanied
Lord Pavis.

Who were they? Pavis: Gateway to Adventure p.35

Could be Kralori.  Godunya is known to have visited Dragon Pass in EWF times.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From History of the Heortland People:

Furthermore, with Florencia Sillinhalia, one of the last Gold Wheel Spirits, he was the father of Golden Fintalen, who organized all the markets of Dorastor and the cult of Issaries too. These interspecies marriages were, by this century, generally considered impossible or, perhaps, offensive by most people. Yet, as if moved by strange forces, in this family it was common and, because of the great unity that they brought, the family was honored instead of abhorred.

So the Gold Wheel Dancers interracially married and had for example "Golden Fintalen". I assume they could form-set gold at will...

A PC could be a descendant of a Gold Wheel Dancer. How cool is that.

image.png.a34f11eddb2e302104c944e7d1e33231.png

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

But they could be a GWD

There is nothing to indicate GWD could transform into "beings" (i.e. animal shapes).  The only indication are they could transform into "tools", e.g. wheels, etc.  

Lokaymadon was focused on achieving Storm/Air quests, and rams fit that mythos.  Since Lokaymadon becomes the High Storm (i.e. that closest to the Sky), a Golden Ram makes sense.  But I don't think a GWD would fit his mythic needs here.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:58 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Florencia Sillinhalia, one of the last Gold Wheel Spirits, he was the father of Golden Fintalen, who organized all the markets of Dorastor and the cult of Issaries too. These interspecies marriages were, by this century, generally considered impossible or, perhaps, offensive by most people. Yet, as if moved by strange forces, in this family it was common and, because of the great unity that they brought, the family was honored instead of abhorred.

So no transforming into beings but may sire or give birth to offspring...

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Here is another one from HotHP:

Lokamayadon returned with his ancestor in the form of a supernatural golden ram which he put with his herd, and the ram blessed the herd by mounting the ewes.

Was one of Lokamayadon's ancestors a Gold Wheel Dancer?

How do the PC's quest to find a golden ram?

No, this is the Hagodereth heroquest - not all that glitters is a Gold Wheel Dancer. It’s based on Talastari mythology.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/websites/moondesign-com/jeffs-old-blogs/bearded-storm-and-hagodereth-and-wyters-2/

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Florencia Sillinhalia, one of the last Gold Wheel Spirits, he was the father of Golden Fintalen...

Seems like they had offspring and one by name was Golden Fintalen.

This is really interesting for me and opens up all sorts of potential scenario links as the descendants may wish to employ the PC's to investigate the Sun Wheel Ruins or find what remains of Speaking Wheel... which Gonn Otra might be sitting on!

Likely already asked this but when did the Sun Wheel Ruins become abandoned?

Edited by Erol of Backford

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Florencia Sillinhalia, one of the last Gold Wheel Spirits, he was the father of Golden Fintalen...

But from a non-canonical source, so there is nothing to explicitly say this was an "offspring".  It could equally be that the GWD was the source of the latter's skills (i.e. a mentor/master).  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Likely already asked this but when did the Sun Wheel Ruins become abandoned?

Before the end of the First Age, so well over a thousand years ago.  And anything obvious will have been long picked over by the armies that marched to and fro during the Gbaji Wars.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jajagappa said:
3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

But from a non-canonical source, so there is nothing to explicitly say this was an "offspring".  It could equally be that the GWD was the source of the latter's skills (i.e. a mentor/master). 

This p. 15 HotHP its by Mr. Stafford how is it noncanonical? It talks about interracial marriages so I doubt its talking about Florencia being a father figure...

These interspecies marriages were, by this century, generally considered impossible or, perhaps, offensive by most people. Yet, as if moved by strange forces, in this family it was common and, because of the great unity that they brought, the family was honored instead of abhorred.

Not a big deal either way just thought be half golden wheel dancer was cool and possibly having a Gold Wheel Dancer as an ancestor as intriguing. 

Summun ancestor could get you one hell of a knowledge one-up if you could discuss things with a Gold Wheel Dancer great great great great... etc grandparent.

On another note what language would the Golden Wheel Dancers have spoken? Was there an ancient Trade Talk that the Unity Council would have used?

17 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

This p. 15 HotHP its by Mr. Stafford how is it noncanonical?

Yes, the Stafford Library in general is non-canonical.  These were collected thoughts, ideas, etc. - not finalized works, and there is considerable content that has been subsequently rethought or even abandoned.  Some of these simply collated a lot of various materials that were floating around on the respective topics.

Now, as has been noted, canon primarily applies to those writing and developing new content (e.g. myself in the case of Heortland).  If the ideas there work for you in your game, go with it.  Since I do a lot of content writing, my responses will reflect what is known to be canonical (even in works I publish via the JC).

21 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Not a big deal either way just thought be half golden wheel dancer was cool and possibly having a Gold Wheel Dancer as an ancestor as intriguing. 

If it works, go with it.  Good to keep in mind that the GWD are beings of Fire, and can transform into useful tools.  Practicalities get difficult.

27 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

On another note what language would the Golden Wheel Dancers have spoken?

Firespeech.

27 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Was there an ancient Trade Talk that the Unity Council would have used?

Just Tradetalk.  Issaries invented it in the Godtime as far as I recall.  Like all creoles, assume that it has changed over time though as the languages it draws from shift.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, the Stafford Library in general is non-canonical. 

I am beginning to understand. I thought whatever he wrote was canon but when something contradicts or doesn't fit when written over a period of 30-40 years its difficult to keep everything in sync. All fantastic stuff new and old!

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Firespeech.

How I didn't think about this is beyond me, you had mentioned several times...