Sun Wheel Ruin

Erol of Backford

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

I am beginning to understand. I thought whatever he wrote was canon but when something contradicts or doesn't fit when written over a period of 30-40 years its difficult to keep everything in sync. All fantastic stuff new and old!

For canon, go with the Guide, the Glorantha Sourcebook, the RQG core book, and (eventually) the RQ cult book once published, and new homelands, etc. as available.  There are a few other bits, but for the most part, those are the standard references.  

On 1/12/2023 at 11:11 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Here is another one from HotHP:

Lokamayadon returned with his ancestor in the form of a supernatural golden ram which he put with his herd, and the ram blessed the herd by mounting the ewes.

Was one of Lokamayadon's ancestors a Gold Wheel Dancer?

How do the PC's quest to find a golden ram?

HeroQuestors can travel to one of Orlanth's Sacred Mountains and come back with a Storm Ram, or a Stormtup as I call them in Holiday Dorastor: Risklands. In fact, there is a scenario to do exactly that in Risklands.

Finding a Golden Ram is probably harder. Maybe Orlanth took some Rams from Yelm's Flock and these are their descendants.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I am beginning to understand. I thought whatever he wrote was canon but when something contradicts or doesn't fit when written over a period of 30-40 years its difficult to keep everything in sync. All fantastic stuff new and old!

There used to be a verb, to be Gregged, which meant that Greg Stafford said something that contradicted something that he had previously said, usually because he had thought about something a bit more, or wanted to take it in a different direction.

As has been said before, canon is only important if you are writing for Chaosium. For your own gaming table, use those sources however you want to. Personally, I use whatever I like and make it fit into my own Glorantha, as making things fit seems to be one of my powers.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just adding more/similar info from another older post by Jaja:

There is only one Gold Wheel Dancer in the Cradle: Pinchining.  He was 'awoken' in the Underworld when Urrgh the Ugly prayed to his golden coin there, and is the first of his race to reappear since the birth of Nysalor.  As the Guide notes: They were demigods, variously described as a golden circle, a flaming wheel, or a silver dancer surrounded by a fiery golden halo.

From the Glorantha Sourcebook, they held the Fire position on the original Unity Council.  Since they were able to change their form, I believe they are associated with the Movement/Change rune too (but haven't found a confirming text). 

• 3 weeks later...

As pachristian said:

While I'm on that thought, one other deviation I have is that the Gold Wheel Dancers were the gender-reversed aspects of Yelm and the solar pantheon. Worship was suppressed in the first age and never recovered. However, the ruined temples are out there, waiting for some unlucky players to come along and have to tell Dara Hrappa that they've been wrong for the last thousand years...

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

As pachristian said:

While I'm on that thought, one other deviation I have is that the Gold Wheel Dancers were the gender-reversed aspects of Yelm and the solar pantheon. Worship was suppressed in the first age and never recovered. However, the ruined temples are out there, waiting for some unlucky players to come along and have to tell Dara Hrappa that they've been wrong for the last thousand years...

Thought - Dendara is Yelm's female aspect and the mother of the Gold Wheel Dancers, but with her chained to Yelm, they can't exist as a separate thing.  The creation of Nysalor was the final killing blow to her people and his death came too late.

• Helpful 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:31 AM, Darius West said:

Sun Wheel Dancers were free and independent until Lokarnos objectified them. 

So if they were female (were some female or could they be either or asexual) and were treated as objects by the misogynistic Solar Pantheon I could see them slowly turning inward and transforming into rigid objects over the years...

Still laughing at Speaking Wheel being under Ota's butt for a couple hundred years.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:17 AM, soltakss said:

... making things fit seems to be one of my powers.

undoubtedly by the liberal application of acid, to dissolve-away anything that doesn't suit.

🤣

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Another tid-bit from Masters of Luck & Death - Five Rune Ring - anyone know where Dvision Hills is in Sartar:

I think this may be an alternative name for the Guardian Hills, the collective name for the hill ranges defining the border to Prax.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

image.png.d3b22e5018901bf738ebb581c2ef8fc1.pngfrom Masters of Luck and Death.

So the leader is basically a little old lady sitting in a cabin.

Quite strange to come upon a stead with an old lady, a troll, a gold dwarf, newtling, elf and a duck. I suppose it'd more than a single dwelling? None of them want to try to sleep in the same building as a snoring duck all night long?!

Seems easy enough to develop into something. I'd imaging it as a walled stead with even a small inn integrated, a small trade post and even some livestock, maybe a stop over before heading out into Prax?

And they are looking for a Gold Wheel Dancer...

Any ideas?

image.png.caa1e1a26b1f09a43b4eaea6eb985404.png

6 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Another tid-bit from Masters of Luck & Death - Five Rune Ring - anyone know where Dvision Hills is in Sartar:

The Well of Daliath says:

A long range of limestone hills marks the eastern reaches of Sartar. Typically called the Guardian Hills, they include sub-ranges such as the Yellow Hills, Quail Hills, Forloss Hills, and Division Hills. This is another dissected plateau, cut by rivers whose sources are the winter snows of the Quivin and Storm Mountains. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

So we have a few Gold Wheel Dancers that are known or know of:

01 Florencia Sillinhalia

02 Speaking Wheel

03 Pinchining - Spinning Wheel

04 Another would be with Isidilian

05 Wheel of Wheels

06 Sounder on the Skyship

Vithela... TotRM Issue 17 - maybe another there in the East?

Eric Rowe also mentioned to me that the Golden Key (previously a Dancer)   may hold or held a secret regarding the Faceless Stone statue.

Golden Lance (to bring light into the darkness)

Golden Axe (for tress) and as Golden Wheel Dancers speak fire speech and are associated with light and fire maybe they are not so welcome in the forest?

golden hoe (to aid in turning the earth)

Golden Sword - Cutting Wheel - maybe Humakt's golden sword (I like this of course)

Golden Pot - maybe it was Beat Pot's pot

Golden Chalice (to aid in healing)

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/GloranthaDigest/vol01/0543.html

Edited by Erol of Backford

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious as to when the Gold Wheel Dancers came to be?

From the time when the Gods were first experimenting with the Form runes - i.e. during the Golden Age. (If I recall correctly, the Gold Wheel Dancers are Fire and Harmony, hence why they can transform into different Forms.)

11 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Gold Wheel Dancers are Fire and Harmony, hence why they can transform

:50-element-fire::50-power-harmony:

A Solar reply to :20-element-air: and :20-element-moon: rebels seeking :20-power-movement:?

The unimaginable heat of the Sun and the constraining bars of Harmony can provide all desirable change.

(Just watch out for the flaming telepaths.)

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

during the Golden Age

So since we are tracking several of them, previous notes, and they are able to have offspring with other races they may repopulate?

Would they not be considered an eldar race since they have been around so long? (yes I have a fixation with Gold Wheel Dancers...)

9 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

they are able to have offspring with other races they may repopulate?

There is no indication that they ever mated with other races. The GWD died out before the end of the First Age. Only via magic/prayer in the Underworld did they return near the end of the Third Age - and that is only one that we are aware of.

11 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Would they not be considered an eldar race

Yes, they would be considered an Elder Race.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The GWD died out before the end of the First Age.

Dormant, not dead as we just need to bring the spirit back to a living but inanimate body... also, Pinchining, not dead...

There is one group actually searching for them, from Masters of Luck & Death - Five Rune Ring - I had read that they are based not far from Battle Valley, Division Hills - other gold wheel dancers may surface and or be reunited with their bodies?

I'd say more like long term discorporation than dead as their bodies become inanimate objects rather they a mass of putrid fertilizer pushing up daisies, whatever?