EWF Reborn - Servants of the Almighty Dragons - All Things Dragon

Erol of Backford

There is a little write up about the Servants of the Almighty Dragons in the Sartar Companion. p.16  Were these possibly the Orlanthi Draconic Mystics for Argrath?

Full members can learn Auld Wyrmish, the language of dragons. Are there current 1600-1630 Gloranthians that speak Auld Wyrmish?

Ormelius Dragonchide only spoke Auld Wyrmish at 20%...

The Servants of the Almighty Dragon are aware of Forang Forash and view him with a combination of reverence and fear. The few members who know of Laughing Singer hold him in awe. Then the Laughing Singer told Forang Farosh the meaning of the marks on his body that no one else could see. What are these?

We also have the Red Dragon Servant in Karse and to a lessor degree other locations, a large monastery in Karse, Heortland; Smaller temple in Tarsh and shrine outside Furthest, many far overseas. Devotional martial arts and part of the Draconic orders.

Possibly the Scholar Wyrm, Windwhistler, Eyes-Shut and Forang Forash are all interested in seeing the EWF be rejuvenated?

Any thoughts on both the Red Dragon School in Ormsgone Valley and the Long Mountain Dragon School?

Are there other sources for groups of secret or hidden dragon friends in Sartar or the Holy Country.  The Dragon of Jarn, Two Face, Tink, Dragon's Eye, Yerezum Storn are a few detailed encounters, are there others that are obvious to add to this list?

What Empire of the Wyrms Friends location or ruins are active in Rune Quest beyond what is mentioned above?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Where is the White Dragon?

In the Dragon's Eye, of course! 😉 

Note: I think that's the only place that a White Dragon was ever referenced - maybe the authors weren't happy with the Elemental Dragons? (The Blue Dragon exists, too, but she stretches out across Peloria.  And the Gold/Sun Dragon is either Godunya or the Sun Dragon cult.) But why I say the Dragon's Eye is that the Inhuman King is also a dragon, lives at the center of Dragon Pass, and is forgotten by all the dragon hunters (invisible in plain sight - very fitting for White).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

9 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The Blue Dragon exists, too, but she stretches out across Peloria

Seems like should be near Sartar, just sayin. White and Gold make sense but maybe Windwhistler is actually a dream dragon of sorts?

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

There is Ormfang, an ice-covered draconic peak in the Rockwoods south of Balazar which may be a True Dragon Lair.

Yellow or orange... or start with silver, copper... Likely there is a cave up there with a dream dragon in it waiting to be discovered?

dragons-eye.jpg Is this still being looked at or did it get kicked down the road? I think the notice was from August 2020.

"Chaosium is pleased to announce that The Dragon’s Eye, a new sourcebook for RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha, is in development."

Also curious if there are any sketch maps of Dragon's Eye or High Wyrm floating around... There is talk of trade with dragonewts in Mr. Montgomery's works and a trade post being set up with High Wyrm...

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 12:24 AM, Erol of Backford said:

We also have the Red Dragon Servant in Karse and to a lessor degree other locations, a large monastery in Karse, Heortland; Smaller temple in Tarsh and shrine outside Furthest, many far overseas. Devotional martial arts and part of the Draconic orders.

Which book/zine is this mentioned in?

11 hours ago, ajs said:

Which book/zine is this mentioned in?

Arcane Lore p41 and it was for the HW:RPG or HQ1.0.  

Red Dragon Servant
(of Krisa Oraba, of Dragon Pass)
Martial Arts Band which had come to Dragon Pass from
the Far East.
• Manifestation. 3
• Strength. 5/10
• Powers. Meditate Skill, Sword Combat Talent (W5);
Refute Attack Talent (W5), Strike Dead with Sword
Talent, Avoid Attack Talent, Heal Self Talent.
• Worshippers. 2,000
• Location. Large monastery in Karse, Heortland;
Smaller temple in Tarsh, with dojo outside of
Furthest; many worshippers presumably far overseas.
• Secrets. Devotional martial arts.
• Connections: Are a part of the Draconic orders.

Never really caught people's imagination and it was quietly forgotten.  It could be used as a cult that develops after the Dragonrise but I have a hard time believing it existed significantly before then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/11/2023 at 3:22 AM, Joerg said:

There is Ormfang, an ice-covered draconic peak in the Rockwoods south of Balazar which may be a True Dragon Lair.

Maybe this is dragon that ate Bagtrap from the Stafford House Campaign or possibly it's dream? And the pass is named after him on some maps... though IIRC he appears again in Pavis at a later date so possibly DI saved him or brought him back... the Bronze Dragon...

The dragon was satisfied and departed. The caravan continued onward and reached
a safe place before nightfall. There Joh asked who the man was, and he said then that
everyone should call that part of the trail after the person. So now it is called
Bagtrap’s Trail.

House Campaign P.56

Interesting.

Edited by Erol of Backford

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I saw that on the Sartar map. Who knows how large it is?

Which Dragon's skull is it?

IIRC there was an illustration in the HeroQuest 1st ed publication Dragon Pass: Land of Doom - a Gazetteer to Kerofinela. The caravan path goes underneath it, approaching it from the southeast means to walk right into its maw.

The Dragonspine Ridges are the remnants of Sh'harkarzeel's spine after Orlanth beheaded that dragon, from where Orlanth carried off that head, using it in many a myth. This head seems too small to be that item, or an incarnation or dream of that item. No idea whether it was in place before the EWF ruled in the region, possibly an atonement gift by a draconic hero of Orlanth (such as Obduran the Flyer).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I saw that on the Sartar map. Who knows how large it is?

Which Dragon's skull is it?

Gathering Thunder references Dragon Pass: Land of Thunder, which I don't have. It does indicate that the skull is 300 yards long, which seems reasonable to me.

So it's probably not to scale in this map.

image.png.d970946b3d36f8b506ef59381077464f.png

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

From Dragon Pass, Land of Thunder:

image.thumb.png.a1c70e2ce324177bfd3da2d1c1350e7e.png

Dragon Skull
Skeletal landmark at the highest point of Dragon Pass (A3)
Sources: History of the Heortling Peoples, Jonstown Compendium.
A huge dragon skull, two hundred yards across, perches over a cave between the two cliffs to either side. The trail goes underneath and is big enough for several wide roads. The tales record how Alakoring or Orvanshagor, or occasionally Orlanth himself, put the dragon skull there. Among the beast-men (and Grazers) Ironhoof, centaur King of Dragon Pass, put it there.

It is impossible to cross the Pass except by going through the gigantic skull, with its wicked yards-long incisors. While inside it, everyone feels a little bit afraid or cautious. Voices are deadened, but return as echoes; people who listen carefully hear echoes without voices. Flares and torches do not work correctly, so the light on the other side feels especially welcome.

But as this HeroQuest 1 supplement is not canonical, you probably may have to take this information with a grain of salt ...

Edited by Oracle
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, wait, the ACTUAL dragon pass has a giant dragon skull over it?! I am just learning about this now! Is this still canon, or is it just a specific version that Oracle cited that might be no longer canonical?

Also, on another note, since this is apparently the only crossing possible - is it heavily fortified on either side, or is the "only" a bit of an exaggeration?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Woah, wait, the ACTUAL dragon pass has a giant dragon skull over it?! I am just learning about this now! Is this still canon, or is it just a specific version that Oracle cited that might be no longer canonical?

It has always been part of Glorantha. The actual Dragon Pass is tiny compared to the wider Dragon Pass that surrounds it.

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Also, on another note, since this is apparently the only crossing possible - is it heavily fortified on either side, or is the "only" a bit of an exaggeration?

It is a dragon skull and has no fortifications that I know of. People could try and take control of the pass, stopping people from passing through, but the Dragonewts might have something to say about that. Someone tried that in one of my campaigns and the skull just took a big chunk out of them as a warning.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

It has always been part of Glorantha. The actual Dragon Pass is tiny compared to the wider Dragon Pass that surrounds it.

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I knew that Dragon Pass was named after an actual pass, I just never knew there was a huge f***-off skull nested above it. How is this not on some book cover somewhere, that's metal as hell! XD

• Like 1