Cults of RuneQuest Marketing Strategy

Soccercalle

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

HQ scenerois.

That is odd, because the HeroQuesting pack that we brought out, How Humakt Learned to Grieve, did not sell particularly well despite being our second best-selling Silver title. That's why I have been reluctant to spend a lot of time on HeroQuesting packs. Ragnaglar's Breath reached Silver faster, but that might because it was set in Dorastor, which has a loyal following.

So, if people want more HeroQuesting scenarios, or HeroQuests, then they should buy the ones that are currently there, to show that there is a demand for them.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Agentorange said:

Now I've given this some serious serious thought.

And I think the best marketing strategy would be to give me copies of all the books for free and let me say nice things about them. It certainly works for me. In fact the more I think about it the more it appeals to me as a strategy.

Send me a message ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:12 AM, Wheel Shield said:

Is this article not true? Because the last line thanks Chaosium for being forthcoming and it quotes (not paraphrases) you prolifically. In mid-2015 this company had 10,000 in the checking account and would have likely gone bankrupt. Did The Nerdist make this up? Did you not say these things? Again, is this not true?

Cthulhu Company Kickstarted Itself To DEATH Then This Happened - The Nerdist 

Thanks for putting this in, I had liked Chaosium, mostly because of the old crew (Hey, I am old), and to be reminded of how the Great Old Ones were part of joining fans and all putting in their own money to save not only the company but investor's and the content creators bank accounts as well is good to be reminded of.

Oh, the games are pretty good too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

That is odd, because the HeroQuesting pack that we brought out, How Humakt Learned to Grieve, did not sell particularly well

Maybe that is because — whatever its true, wonderful content — the title makes it sound a bit like this:

Humakt_Kbler_Ross.thumb.png.872510101293df29c59a7f48781f9a1b.png

… or you know, an otherworld mission to deliver tissues to the therapist’s office.

Don’t get me wrong: done as a parody of Campbell, that would have me hooked, but Ragnaglar’s Breath sounds more on-brand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

6 hours ago, soltakss said:

So, if people want more HeroQuesting scenarios, or HeroQuests, then they should buy the ones that are currently there, to show that there is a demand for them.

I need to learn how one to run before buying 10... I love that they are Hero Quest sessions in the Rune Quest actual campaigns.

It'd be nice to have a full list of known Hero Quests as it would for all the scenarios out there... I have started to generate a list, including all the old zines, again just scenarios but its 1000's of pages, maybe when I retire...

Location, approximate year and season, difficulty factor, antagonists, plot hooks, repercussions, good prequel scenarios, good follow up scenarios.

For example the good old Greenbrass scenario, Apple Lane, Rainbow mounds, Escape From Duckland, etc. every time I go to sort out a sequence of events I run into many more great scenarios I failed to link/tie in...

White text spoiler follows as edit (sorry about that)

Spoiler

It would be a magga campaign. Even weave in the PC's being on the streets in Nochet when Halcyon Var Enkorth is killed there while trying to steal a particular scroll.

(Does anyone venture to guess what year that was and how long was Bluebird studying in Notchet?)

I am sure it's out there somewhere, a comprehensive list of all scenarios and only scenarios?

Edited by Erol of Backford

8 hours ago, Jason Farrell said:

I hope so.  But it concerns me that you're using language (you "think") that still allows you to hedge your bets and not follow through with it.

At least there is movement, which is good.

I just deleted probably 500 words of rebuttal in support of Chaosium and RQG, but I can summarize all of it in just a few sentences.

1. I'm excited and very much anticipate the Gods of Glorantha books. 8-year-old me is awaiting Santa with baited breath, even if I already know what my present is gonna be.

2. I don't know WT-freaking-F people are complaining about. I really don't. Chaosium isn't Wizards of HasBorg. Their creativity isn't backed by Pokemon and MTG sales. It isn't Paizo, with it's die-hard [and to be fair, hard-won] fanbase. We [the RQG fans] are getting what we love THIS-FREAKING-YEAR. We wanted Gods of Glorantha, and we're getting it.

3. At a wild-arsed-guess, some 100 creators are busting their asses to make us happy between Chaosium, its subcontractors, and the Jonstown Compendium creator/publisher. There is enough material out there right this minute that I can't afford to buy it all. And more is on the way.

There. I said it. And with a Hell of a lot fewer curse words than I thought.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, svensson said:

8-year-old me is awaiting Santa with baited breath, even if I already know what my present is gonna be.

LOL I feel that way now, I dropped about $350 yesterday on all Glorantha items from the JC, I have to wait 2-4 weeks to get it all... it'll be like Christmas in May for me. (I'll not cheat and open the PDF's, they are for future.)

Nothing like a good old fashion book or magazine with post-it notes sticking out all over!

Love the new material and thanks everyone for this forum!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, svensson said:

3. At a wild-arsed-guess, some 100 creators are busting their asses to make us happy between Chaosium, its subcontractors, and the Jonstown Compendium creator/publisher. There is enough material out there right this minute that I can't afford to buy it all. And more is on the way.

having been a part of that since the JC started, I am very impressed by many of the items available. I want canonical before I die (I hope that does not occur) but it is good to see the hobbyist are spinning tales at such a healthy rate.

35 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Love the new material and thanks everyone for this forum!

yer welcome!

😉

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I want canonical before I die (I hope that does not occur) but it is good to see the hobbyist are spinning tales at such a healthy rate.

For some areas, I doubt you'll ever see "canonical" beyond a short bit in the Guide. For instance, while I'll hope we'll see a Lunar Empire book at some point, I'd be very surprised if there were detail books on anything other than Tarsh (or perhaps Holay/Saird since some of the Hero Wars occurs there).  If you want Imther, my work will likely be it. If you want Glamour, look for the works by Chris Gidlow, Nick Brooke, and friends.  If you want East Isles, look for the set of works coming out there. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

For some areas, I doubt you'll ever see "canonical" beyond a short bit in the Guide.

Perfectly fine, I only play in the canonical areas anyway... well maybe Imther 😉

just a thought, jajagappa... I think you misread my post... i said 

I want canonical before I die (I hope that does not occur) but it is good to see the hobbyist are spinning tales at such a healthy rate.

so, I really do not mind using JC... as I said, I have been involved with it since the beginning and there are some fantastic things there. In fact Imther is beside one of my fave Gloranthan places, Balazar, so I think it will be played in at some point.

(oh, Harald, will make my move today... have been too sick to do so before.)

Edited by Bill the barbarian

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I think you misread my post... i said 

so, I really do not mind using JC

Yes, understood what you were saying. The reality is that what we'll have available for canon for much of Glorantha will be what's in the Guide and the upcoming Cults books (which will make a majority of cultures playable), and then the core Hero Wars areas of: Dragon Pass, Prax (incl. Pavis), the Holy Country, and parts of the Lunar Empire. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, understood what you were saying. The reality is that what we'll have available for canon for much of Glorantha will be what's in the Guide and the upcoming Cults books (which will make a majority of cultures playable), and then the core Hero Wars areas of: Dragon Pass, Prax (incl. Pavis), the Holy Country, and parts of the Lunar Empire. 

I remember reading a response from @Jeff that an official Chaosium Heroquest book was also in the pipeline...
Probably titled 'HeroQuest 4 Grogs Dummies'... And I say that cuz Ah R Wun....

On 4/23/2023 at 7:21 PM, svensson said:

I don't know WT-freaking-F people are complaining about. I really don't.

Then perhaps you should go back and read what we actually wrote...????

On 4/23/2023 at 7:21 PM, svensson said:

We [the RQG fans] are getting what we love THIS-FREAKING-YEAR. We wanted Gods of Glorantha, and we're getting it.

Ummm... while I'll buy it, I can't say it's something that I particularly "wanted" - not without that one thing that would really make it different to what has gone before - Heroquests.

I can understand if you don't have any (or much) of the older stuff, which will be reproduced in the upcoming books. But for me (and, quite clearly, others) those HQs would be something that really makes them worth buying and investing in. And yes, I'd happily  contentedly wait another year if that would be the case. I wish I wouldn't have had to, and this mess was sorted out already...

On 4/22/2023 at 1:45 AM, Jason Farrell said:

It baffles me that anyone accepts as a reason we don't have heroquesting rules after decades that "it's really hard and we want to get it right."  At some point, and that point has been crossed long, long ago, it's not a question of "well, don't you prefer to wait for really good rules rather than get bad rules faster?"  People only ask that question, in that way, because you sound dumb if you say "I want bad rules."  (Objection: leading the witness, your honor)

But again, it has been decades.  It's a game company.  Making games (and rules) is what they ostensibly do.  You wouldn't accept such an excuse from anyone in any other profession.  Hell, even George RR Martin hasn't taken as long to get his next novel out as Chaosium has taken on heroquest rules.  I'm honestly not sure exactly what Jason Durall's wheelhouse is, but Jeff's isn't rules.  It's Gloranthan mythology.  That's what he's good at and what he's interested in.  The fact that he's most interested in the Mythology volume of the Cults series is, to me, telling: it seems to be a book about myths and the big picture, and I don't get the impression that it contains much in the area of gameable material.  The people who came up with 99% of the rules for RQ are no longer around and it shows

I was actually pretty close to doing a post along the lines of "Well, if you haven't figured it out after all these years, perhaps it's time to pass the ball onto someone else who can...".

(then I read a post that said those rules might actually see the light of day... soonish.... as a playtest.....)

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

I was actually pretty close to doing a post along the lines of "Well, if you haven't figured it out after all these years, perhaps it's time to pass the ball onto someone else who can...".

(then I read a post that said those rules might actually see the light of day... soonish.... as a playtest.....)

At this point, it is clear that this thread has long since run its course. If you want to create a new thread about what stuff you want us to write, go for it, but I am shutting this one down.

• Like 3

• Jeff locked this topic