Out Now - Cults of RuneQuest: The Prosopaedia

MOB

2 hours ago, ingot said:

Frustrating that the first two cult books will be out in a fortnight and the physical Prosopaedia isn't available from the Australian warehouse yet.  I guess it'll take a while further for the physical cult books to be available in Australia.

I am definitely feeling that. 

I hope for you, australian friends that you will have the physical book before people who are not happy to read english will have access to their native language book (pdf or paper)

but I m pretty sure, you will be the first !

Personaly I had to wait for physical book in some warehouse to buy the only pdf I wanted so ...

• Like 1

I guess these books -- so slow to reach Oz -- are being printed in Poland, rather than China?

Whether shipping from Poland or China, somebody is always substantially-the-last to get it to their warehouse...

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Personaly I had to wait for physical book in some warehouse to buy the only pdf I wanted so ...

Yeah, I preferred it when Chaosium released the pdf first, with a coupon to purchase the physical book when it was released, but if it's more economic for them to release both at the same time, I understand.

4 hours ago, Cassius said:

Prosopaedia was printed in Poland.

Ah okay, that explains things.  I assumed it was coming from China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ingot said:

Yeah, I preferred it when Chaosium released the pdf first, with a coupon to purchase the physical book when it was released, but if it's more economic for them to release both at the same time, I understand.

Me too.

Enough so that whereas I used to buy virtually everything from Chaosium direct, now I mostly buy from a Bits&Mortar FLGS (voting with my $$$).

I think they make more profit on direct-sales via their website, but the PDF+Coupon 1st / Book-Later model costs them some.  If enough sales shift to FLGS (and the associated lower-profit) maybe they'll reconsider.

I did buy the new BRP:UGE (PDF 1st) via their website!

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, ingot said:

but if it's more economic for them to release both at the same time, I understand.

It's also a marketing factor. If you release a pdf at point X and the hardcover several months later, you lose marketing awareness and interest. It's a factor with almost any type of product, but in a business where they want to particularly sell hardcover books, you want to maximize the hype and impact of the initial release and I'm sure they have seen this directly in their sales figures. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 12:47 PM, jajagappa said:

It's also a marketing factor. If you release a pdf at point X and the hardcover several months later, you lose marketing awareness and interest. It's a factor with almost any type of product, but in a business where they want to particularly sell hardcover books, you want to maximize the hype and impact of the initial release and I'm sure they have seen this directly in their sales figures. 

If simultaneous release helps the FLGS sector, then maybe that is for the good. Whilst I'm sure that Chaosium prefers to get the physical sales, it is my personal belief that game stores are a valuable part of the hobby.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

"I hope that the most effective marketing and publishing strategy aligns with my personal preference for PDF early and physical to follow".

Well, I think they've explicitly said it doesn't. I like the early pdf as well, but I do think the simultaneous release really helps the FLGS sector and overall sales.

I fully agree, and I am a pdf only buyer since I started buying RPGs again fifteen years ago. 

Electronic copies, even if people do not want to acknowledge it, are too easy to copy and share, so if you want to keep your paper sales, you need to limit them at least till the hardcopy is available. The longer the waiting period, the more people will think they do not need a physical copy. There is always a hardcore purchasing base, but it is small. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

This again? Here’s what Rick said a year ago. Nothing has changed since, to the best of my knowledge.

<heh>
One thing that's changed (or should I say ten things?) -- Cults is now a 10-volume set.

As of Rick's remarks back then, Cults was being planned as 2 volumes + Prosopaedia.

===

But also (in that post cited) Rick said:

So what does all that mean? It means we are seeing how things go with doing the next new releases as "PDF and Printed book at the same time". We've done plenty of "PDF first" releases to know what those are like. Once we have enough of both approaches to more fully compare, we'll see what we do going forward.

So (for those of us with a strong "PDF First" preference):  do as I'm doing, vote with your dollars, buy it all from your Bits&Mortar-aligned FLGS.

I've got no "moral" qualms supporting my FLGS this way.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

I have seen on Youtube that there are some cults with new character creation skill blocks.

I will be adding these to my online character creation tool probably a week or two after the book goes on general sale. I'm off on holiday when it comes out so I will be getting mine a little later than others and will be busy with other things when I get back from holiday.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, Nick Brooke said:

This again?

Sorry... 🤐

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 4:48 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

I am definitely feeling that. 

FWIW Aetherworks is taking orders for the hardcover in Aus, so it looks like it may well be available here now.  They're the Chaosium distributor so looks like it's any day now if (like me) you want to order through Chaosium.

https://store.aetherworks.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=105433

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, RandomNumber said:

FWIW Aetherworks is taking orders for the hardcover in Aus, so it looks like it may well be available here now.  They're the Chaosium distributor so looks like it's any day now if (like me) you want to order through Chaosium.

https://store.aetherworks.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=105433

Thanks for the heads up.  I guess buying the book from Aetherworks doesn't include the pdf, so I'll wait until it appears on Chaosium's website.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, David Scott said:

They will be in the Cults of RuneQuest Supplementary Volume 2: Lists of Esrolian Goddesses You Never need to run a game (Volume 1 is Adding complexity to RuneQuest with Fiddly Hero Wars cults no one cares about).

I'm keen to buy these volumes...presumably they'll be next in the production schedule ?😃

Joking aside - I probably would buy them, but after the Earth Goddesses the volume I'm looking forward to most is the Shamanry and Spirit Cults volume, the little snippets jeff has mentioned have me pretty interested in that.

Edited by Agentorange

3 hours ago, ingot said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I guess buying the book from Aetherworks doesn't include the pdf, so I'll wait until it appears on Chaosium's website.

Aetherworks supports Bits and Mortar:

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I don't know how it breaks down among fans, but the part right after that where he's pretending to be us and saying "do us a favor and string them out!" is so, so far from how I feel about it.  Even if you subscribe to the idea that $300 is too much to spend all at once, which I totally get, getting from there to $300 over the span of over 2 years?  And they're not giving us the choice.  If all the books came out at once, or over 10 months, say, people who could afford it could buy them.  Those who couldn't (or chose not to) could pick and choose and buy the rest, or not, as they felt like it.  They decided on our behalf that we need 2+ years to save up, and it's annoying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ingot said:

Glory to the Razoress!

I see that the Prosopaedia, Lightbringer and Earth cult books are available in hardover/leatherette in Australia now  😄

Good news Australian RuneQuest fans! - after the unavoidable and protracted shipping delay, The Prosopaedia is now finally available from our Australian warehouse. Along with the two new Cults of RuneQuest books releases. Go on, order all three!

Prosopaedia_Aus(1)copy.png.ad7540ab2a49446b85f9fb3ed19ff48d.png

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Out Now - Cults of RuneQuest: The Prosopaedia
  • Nick Brooke unpinned this topic