GenCon Releases

Wheel Shield

I see that the next two cult books (Lightbringers, Earth Goddesses) are going to be at GenCon.

And GenCon is not far off (like August 3rd).

Will those folks not attending the Con be able to order copies from the Chaosium store at that time?

To head off potential confusion, I am not asking about pre-orders or advance sales. I’m just wondering if those books are available for purchase at the Con (not a forgone conclusion), will the Chaosium website be ready for orders too? I’m planning out hobby expenses for August, you see.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jason Farrell said:

if the answer to this isn't yes, I'm going to be supremely irritated.

There is a long, long history of "event specials" and swag -- including unique opportunities -- at 'Con events.

For example, last time Chaosium went to a 'con, they pre-printed a whole bunch of POD titles from the "Community Content" programs (at their own expense, as a speculative venture), to offer from their booth.  Generally, one can never get that kind of "flip the pages" / "kick the tires" opportunity with POD products!

Similarly, early versions of "Cults" were available as a "Con Special" books.

And Chaosium sometimes ships a small number of volumes via air (rather than sea) for a few early-availability opportunities; these are more "promotional expenses" than retail sales, as the cost of air-shipment likely eats most/all of the profit (maybe even a net $-loss) per volume.

===

Being  able to offer a few volumes at a 'Con event does NOT equate to having the volume in every one of their fulfillment centers!

• Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 minutes ago, g33k said:

Similarly, early versions of "Cults" were available as a "Con Special" books.

For future Chaosium reference, which they are free (and likely) to ignore, this pissed me off.  If the Cults books had come out shortly thereafter, no problemo.  Some early promotion and swag is standard practice and makes marketing sense.

But, in this case, for roughly 5 years, a select few had access to very important materials unavailable to most, including our group.  IMO, bad move.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

For future Chaosium reference, which they are free (and likely) to ignore, this pissed me off.  If the Cults books had come out shortly thereafter, no problemo.  Some early promotion and swag is standard practice and makes marketing sense.

But, in this case, for roughly 5 years, a select few had access to very important materials unavailable to most, including our group.  IMO, bad move.

When Chaosium released the 50-cult book, I think they (in particular, Jeff) had no idea the project would grow the way it did!

I doubt they'd have done it that way deliberately.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

20 hours ago, g33k said:

Being  able to offer a few volumes at a 'Con event does NOT equate to having the volume in every one of their fulfillment centers!

I  see the Chaosium apologists are rolling up their sleeves.

They have said that they have "plenty of copies", so it's a moot point.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:10 AM, Wheel Shield said:

I see that the next two cult books (Lightbringers, Earth Goddesses) are going to be at GenCon.

And GenCon is not far off (like August 3rd).

Will those folks not attending the Con be able to order copies from the Chaosium store at that time?

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The boxes are there - I saw the pics posted on FB - and they will be sold there. So there is no delay. 

Worldwide release on Aug 17 is hardly a delay.

You could sell the pdf version now and deliver the physical copies on august 17 so you dont disappoint... again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kalidor said:

You could sell the pdf version now and deliver the physical copies on august 17 ... 

☝️ I am a fan and I approve this message! ☝️ 

😁

Edited by g33k
(for values of "now" == 2 business-days after end of GenCon)
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, Malin said:

I wish I could crawl into that picture and buy the books right now...

I am feeling with you.

If i had a pal bringing the two new books back from GenCon he would be back in europe on monday earliest. He chould ship the books to me on tuesday. Depending on where this pal is located shipping would take in between 2 and 10 days. So the earliest i could get my hands on these two new books would be August 10th to 18th. 
But i am on vacation from 12th to 20th. 
If i order it from my vacation location online directly from Chaosium on August 17th (official release day) the good people at Black Monk will ship them so that the package will reach me in about 5 days. That is Tuesday August 22th. And by then i am back from vacation and will have the time to enjoy my read. 🙂

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 1