MRQII is now "wayfarer"

Bleddyn

So, anybody want to tell me why we have to dumb things down for the "Reverend Jims"?

Twilight, the RPG. Because some players are more interested in the "mechanics" of story-telling and plot development (and relationships, etc...), without the want (or need) for detailed "physics" or probability mechanics. And hence only want a very light "math" to handle this.

Have a look at the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peHU9J4n5C8. This isn't my kind of game, but it demonstrates what others might enjoy.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then how do those players expect to survive in a campaign?

GM: You see some trolls on the other side of the bridge.

Player: We rush the bridge an attack!

GM: Are you sure? Don't you want to count and see how many trolls there are, first?

Player: Count? I have to count? What sort of game is this! I have to do math?!! What, did we loose a war or something?

With the recent discussion of a Homeric Greece supplement on my mind, that funny conversation sparked this thought:

Player (Achilles): Okay, I dry my tears and try to get my composure back. I'll let my god-like anger smolder rather than flame up. Then I walk out to view the Trojan battle lines.

GM: You see Trojans and their allies lined up as far as the eye can see, covering the plain. They appear to be eagerly awaiting battle.

Player (Achilles): Well, how many are there?

GM: You can't tell exactly, it's a huge host.

Player (Achilles): Well, how many to the nearest 1000?

GM: About 10,000.

Player (Achilles): Okay. I'll take three spears instead of two. Now those chumps are gonna rue the day that swift-running Achilles set aside his anger against Agamemnon, lord of men, and put the smack down on their sorry-looking Trojan butts.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

GM: You see some trolls on the other side of the bridge.

Player: We rush the bridge an attack!

GM: Are you sure? Don't you want to count and see how many trolls there are, first?

Player: Count? I have to count? What sort of game is this! I have to do math?!! What, did we loose a war or something?

It doesn't matter how many trolls you face if you've got an O.G.R.E. ;)

Yep, the only thing trolls really are mortally afraid of. B-)

Sure those trolls never met Avril of Lavingia and Fak'k' Inaw-Som, her demon-horse!!!

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

These math-challenged players should play trolls:

GM: You see some humans on the other side of the bridge.

Player: We rush the bridge and attack!

GM: Are you sure? Don't you want to count and see how many humans there are, first?

Player: Dur, OK. How many?

GM: Many Many Three.

Player: Bah. Three for me, two for the other many ... wait, they don't have billy goats, do they?

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

So....

When do we think "Wayfarer" will be coming out under that name?

I'll happily buy it, if they've resisted the urge to jigger-about with Loz & Pete's rules.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

So....

When do we think "Wayfarer" will be coming out under that name?

I'll happily buy it, if they've resisted the urge to jigger-about with Loz & Pete's rules.

Mongoose has said it will be the beginning of next year. It looks like they can continue to sell what they have through the end of this year, and they've confirmed that the PDFs will be available through November (DriveThruRPG has them on sale for the next couple of weeks, and maybe longer). I don't know how long it will take for Mongoose to sell out the printed versions of the rules.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Mongoose has said it will be the beginning of next year.

Ta. No good putting it on my Christmas List, then... :(

PS: Any assurances the rules won't be changed (just the name)?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

PS: Any assurances the rules won't be changed (just the name)?

We have their assurances that they won't muck them up, which is worth whatever it's worth. But it seems they understand they have an economic interest in not mucking up the rules. The Mongoose blurbs I've read seemed to be at pains to assure everyone that the books you already own and the books you might be buying in the meantime won't become worthless.

We have their assurances that they won't muck them up, which is worth whatever it's worth.

About half a clack, passed through the digestive tract of a broo.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

It seems to me that Mongoose are the epitome of a Garbage In, Garbage Out company. If the author's manuscript is a good one then the resulting product will be competently laid out and contain a random number of editorial foul-ups. If the author's manuscript is a poor one, the final product will be just as poor with the added bonus of editorial foul ups.

If Mongoose actually hired someone (ideally Pete or Loz) to put together Wayfarer it could be very good because there is a non-trivial amount of work to be done. For example, Pete Nash made some tweaks to the system in Wraith Recon which should really be in Wayfarer.

What I suspect is that they'll do it in-house and copy/paste the errata document in. That way they can claim 100% compatibility and do it on the cheap.

It seems to me that Mongoose are the epitome of a Garbage In, Garbage Out company. If the author's manuscript is a good one then the resulting product will be competently laid out and contain a random number of editorial foul-ups. If the author's manuscript is a poor one, the final product will be just as poor with the added bonus of editorial foul ups.

I only have a couple of Mongoose products, so I can't opine too much about them in particular, but in general it is obvious to me that the computer really is a blessing and a curse to the publishing industry. It is now much easier to produce professional looking books. But that fools people into thinking that since the mechanics are simple, there must not be much to being an editor/publisher. It's obvious that some folks don't even think that proofreaders are a necessary part of the process.

If Mongoose actually hired someone (ideally Pete or Loz) to put together Wayfarer it could be very good because there is a non-trivial amount of work to be done. For example, Pete Nash made some tweaks to the system in Wraith Recon which should really be in Wayfarer.

I also added some in Blood Magic too, but unfortunately it looks like there's little chance of that book being printed any time soon, if at all. Just to make it clear, neither Loz nor I will be working on Wayfarer. We both have other commitments now. As far as I know, Deleriad is correct in that the revision of MRQ2 to Wayfarer will be done in-house, which could be a positive or negative step depending on your perspective.

The Mongoose blurbs I've read seemed to be at pains to assure everyone that the books you already own and the books you might be buying in the meantime won't become worthless.

Devil's Advocate question: if the truth was that the books you might be buying will become worthless, what would they say?

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Devil's Advocate question: if the truth was that the books you might be buying will become worthless, what would they say?

They would of course say so and offer an immediate and full refund ... O:)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

They would of course say so and offer an immediate and full refund ... O:)

As they've done in the past when they published an editorially snarfed up product *cough* Necromatic Arts *cough* Arms & Equipment, then put everything on remainder sale as quickly as possible...;)

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!