The world after Moonfall

bronze

39 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

You also could have said that in ONE word: 
Boring

IMO, even more boring than that. Because Glorantha is so smaller than Earth, can't expect to develop sheer diversity found in Earth's cultures. Nor there is room for space exploration and development. The best can be hoped is colonization of planets and moons on the Sky Dome, whose diamaters are meausred in tens of kilometers at most. Really, the "space travel" won't be different from envisioned by ancient Greek and Romans. 

Edited by bronze

53 minutes ago, bronze said:

How deeds of Argarth ultimately changed the world? It is said that Glorantha became, essentially, Earth. No gods, no magic, no nonhumans, no living myths. 

Well, you can look at Us in the RW as the recipients of Gloranthan myth. And it is our choice as to how we interpret and define what follows.

As Greg says in the intro to the White Bear/Red Moon (or Dragon Pass) boardgame: "Dragon Pass and the Red Moon have moved far from us now. The ancient chroniclers left biased accounts of those times. Generations of historical philosophers and allegorical poets clouded the issue with new truths. The outcome differs with each telling. What really happened? - the only way to discover that is to experience it yourself."

And further "A gathering of Heroes, as in these battles of Dragon Pass, brings back forgotten places and events. Muster your unconscious: see the glitter of spearpoints, hear the clash and cries of battle, and know the threat and excitement of facing a deadly foe. The importance is in the doing. Play it now, not then; here, not there; enjoy."

In invoking the 3rd Age now in our games and explorations, our "retellings of the past", do we not explore and reawaken the myths and magics in the Fourth Age? Some claim that Argrath has bound us into a web where the gods were devoured, destroyed, or separated from us. But the Red Goddess and Jar-eel taught us that all of life is a great cycle, and now is the time for us to rediscover those gods and free them from their bondage and bring their myths into our own beings. (We have just started receiving many of the ancient myths and tales, after all.) If we choose to set off on the new quests and connect ourselves back with the gods, then we will in turn bring forth a new Age (a Fifth?) in Glorantha. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, bronze said:

How deeds of Argarth ultimately changed the world? It is said that Glorantha became, essentially, Earth. No gods, no magic, no nonhumans, no living myths. 

Reportedly, one fan asked Greg at a 'Con what the Fourth Age actually looked like, what it was like for the residents who lived there.

Greg waved his hand at the doorway.  "Like that."

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

I don't see the defeat of the Red Goddess and the Lunar Empire as the death of myth any more, and probably less, disasterous than Arkat's defeat of Gbaji or the downfall of the God Learners and Dragon Empires were. Glorantha will change in the Fourth Age certainly but Great Lozenge has survived much worse than the downfall of the Scarlet Harlot. Yes, the changes will be great... just as all the changes in the cycle of the Ages have been.

Trust Arachne Solora to keep it all stitched together 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, g33k said:

Reportedly, one fan asked Greg at a 'Con what the Fourth Age actually looked like, what it was like for the residents who lived there.

Greg waved his hand at the doorway.  "Like that."

At a Q&A at one of the Convulsion's, Greg's answers as to the nature of the Fifth Age was to gesture silently out the window.

16 hours ago, bronze said:

Glorantha is so smaller than Earth

This is why my sense is that the Middle World is actually expanding at the expense of the mythic periphery. We can see this when we encounter "dwarves," natives of Brithos and other people who were born in the god time and retained their original bodies. They're notably smaller than people born today to reflect the reduced scale of the world back then.

In this scenario even alien entities like the Luathans started out bigger than they are now and are shrinking relative to the rest of us under the pressure of Time. Maybe the Middle World ultimately achieves 1:1 scale parity with planet earth. Hard to say, much less square the circle.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

singer sing me a given

The world after Moonfall

Moonfall is a catastrophe. Sure, the Red Goddess is torn from the sky, but she is still there as a Goddess and can still be reached. The Lunar Empire is no more and a vast Void is there where the Red Moon was, that cannot be a good thing. Without the Lunars to guard them, horrors crawl from the Crater and spread across Peloria. Monsters kept in check by the Lunar Empire, or given a safe place to live in, expand and are no longer constrained. The leaders of the Monster Empire are dead, so cannot hold back their monsters any more.

22 hours ago, bronze said:

How deeds of Argarth ultimately changed the world?

Have a look at King of Sartar. There are centuries of horrors. The seas flood the lands and then go away. Trolls are made extinct, except for a few in the ruins of Cragspider's Castle. There are a whole load of things listed, all as a direct result of Argrath's actions.

In fact, Argrath has to go on a Second Lightbringer Quest to try and fix what he did in the first place. It was then that his Trickster traps the Deities in Arachne Solara's net and Wakboth kills them all.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

That’s an efficient way to tell us you haven’t read “King of Sartar”…

Um... how you have reached such conclusion? Can't say having the book in head, but I think having given a fairly thorough reading on the Argarth's Saga.

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

Moonfall is a catastrophe. Sure, the Red Goddess is torn from the sky, but she is still there as a Goddess and can still be reached. The Lunar Empire is no more and a vast Void is there where the Red Moon was, that cannot be a good thing. Without the Lunars to guard them, horrors crawl from the Crater and spread across Peloria. Monsters kept in check by the Lunar Empire, or given a safe place to live in, expand and are no longer constrained. The leaders of the Monster Empire are dead, so cannot hold back their monsters any more.

Have a look at King of Sartar. There are centuries of horrors. The seas flood the lands and then go away. Trolls are made extinct, except for a few in the ruins of Cragspider's Castle. There are a whole load of things listed, all as a direct result of Argrath's actions.

In fact, Argrath has to go on a Second Lightbringer Quest to try and fix what he did in the first place. It was then that his Trickster traps the Deities in Arachne Solara's net and Wakboth kills them all.

That is largely corresponding to how I know the events. Perhaps I have missed some important things to note? 

Edited by bronze

2 hours ago, bronze said:

Um... how you have reached such conclusion? Can't say having the book in head, but I think having given a fairly thorough reading on the Argarth's Saga.

That is largely corresponding to how I know the events. Perhaps I have missed some important things to note? 

I was commenting directly after Svensson’s sunny optimism.

9 hours ago, bronze said:

You might find these helpful:

Make sure you are using the 2nd ed of King of Sartar (for those who don't yet have it, the PDF is on discount at $5)

• Helpful 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

You might find these helpful:

Make sure you are using the 2nd ed of King of Sartar (for those who don't yet have it, the PDF is on discount at $5)

@Jeff quotes a term I've not seen... CHDP. What's that?

Otherwise, the links are VERY helpful. I must have an old edition of KoS... it doesn't much mention the Age of Illiteracy.