Lands of Runequest: Dragon Pass observations

metcalph

Just a few stray observations when given the book an initial read through.

• p16 A clan of grazers moved out of the grazelands through Esrolia.  I wonder if this might be the origin of the obscure Yelmalions of Caladraland (Cuts of Runequest: Mythology p152)
  • The Holy Country is awfully square in the p17 map (1400-1500).  The God King seems to have loosened up a bit in nex centuries map p17.  Of interest is the legend Malkonwal which doesn't persist into the next century.  Rikard may not have been totally making it up.
  • Estal Donge is still around in Boldhome.  The King of the Balymr, Enstalos Jereni, seems to have an unfortunate first name which would make him unpopular among the Dundealos.  But there's a curious mention of a Vamastal Greyskin who is said to have been on the Sartar High Council in 1613.  Perhaps Garaystar Flatnose had a name change?
  • Bagnot's current smallness (expalined in the ext) is quite jarring - even Alda-Chur and Wilmskirk look more sophisticated. 
  • The Ogre Riots of Filichet is disturbing to read.
  • Goblins finally described!
  • Myrmidons in Dragon Pass?  They're eating our DOGS, they're eating our CATS.  I shouldn't have been so surprised given Timinits do appear in a Elder Secrets scenario and I never once thought to ask whey they might come from. 
  • The Tiger-men return.   
  • The Black Horse Rider p132 has Black Speech among his languages.  Sounds like "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"
Edited by metcalph
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, metcalph said:

Goblins finally described!

Yes!

3 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

These are (pretty much) the same Goblins, worshipping the same deity, as in Wyrms Footnotes #7.

Well, some of the background is. But if you check out the stats, you'll see they are much larger and stronger.

Somewhere there was a Dragon Pass game counter which shows the goblins much like large shadows with oversized hands and feet. Think that has gone into the concept as well.

The Tiger-men return. 

Yes!

The Black Horse Rider p132 has Black Speech among his languages.

Couldn't decide whether this was a miswriting of Darktongue or its own unique language among the Black Horse Riders? I suspect the latter.

Other initial notes:

• Finally got a good writeup on the Earth Twins of Old Tarsh providing more information on them as rulers plus their cannibal virgin bodyguard
  • Love the cutaway view of the Shaker's Temple
  • Liked the Caravan Travel map - nice level of detail
  • Dragonewt Road map - weird spelling of "Dragon Newt" and the Dragon's Eye was left off the map? 
  • Like the historical maps of 3rd Age Dragon Pass + Holy Country (the square Holy Country is interesting, but if true it didn't last long)
  • Like the addition of the new Occupations (had already created my own Laborer for Nochet, but nice to see it added broadly here)
  • Love the art - the broad landscapes are useful to see 
  • Nice to get more details on the Grazelands, Black Horse County, and the Wilds

• Like 1

I have just started to browse the book and it is amazing. 

There are one thing that I think could've been handled differently.

1: Maybe the Wilds could have been divided in regions. Not it's one chapter for every area that isn't "human". I am not sure about this but I think it could have been organized differently.

(I had another point but that has been fixed).

But it is great! It is also easier to understand what will be in the upcoming Sartar book, probably much more about "politics" and the different tribes and clans.  

Edited by Soccercalle

4 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I have just started to browse the book and it is amazing. 

There are two things that I think could've been handled differently.

1: Maybe the Wilds could have been divided in regions. Not it's one chapter for every area that isn't "human". I am not sure about this but I think it could have been organized differently.

2: The map could have been made with higher resolution. It is sometimes hard to read the names if you zoom too closely. And I think that I will zoom quite often when I use it.

But it is great! It is also easier to understand what will be in the upcoming Sartar book, probably much more about "politics" and the different tribes and clans.  

I had the team upload a higher resolution version of the digital map. Please download it again and if you believe it is now fixed, please delete the comment so that people don't think that is still the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I had a similar issue in my Nochet book when looking at the areas outside the city. And I did the same in grouping together as otherwise it gets incredibly fragmented on text entries for relatively sparse areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

I had the team upload a higher resolution version of the digital map. Please download it again and if you believe it is now fixed, please delete the comment so that people don't think that is still the case.

Thank you @Jeff.. so much better and loads in the viewer better too

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I had a similar issue in my Nochet book when looking at the areas outside the city. And I did the same in grouping together as otherwise it gets incredibly fragmented on text entries for relatively sparse areas.

Same for Furthest. The section on what’s “Outside the Walls” covers a wide range of otherwise unrelated areas.

• Like 2

p11.

1432 - Bina Bang masters Lord Lurker in Shadows at the Castle of Lead.

1435 - Dagori Inkarth declares war against Lunars, offer their aid to Tarsh

Bina Bang seems to be an awfully shit emissary for the Red Moon, just saying.  

The dates are from Trollpak which is why this is not in the corrections thread but even that has some weirdness about Troll missionaries being slaughtered in Halikiv in 1376 ST after a declaration was verified (presumably it's not the 1435 declaration that was mentioned a few paras before)

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

Bina Bang seems to be an awfully shit emissary for the Red Moon, just saying.

She's a great emissary for the Blue Moon, though.