Glorantha forum voting POLL

Trifletraxor

Glorantha discussions in one forum or split according to system?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer that all the Glorantha discussions appear in one forum or in three separate according to system used (HQ, RQ & 13thAge)

• One forum to rule them all!
    • Three subforums for HeroQuest, RuneQuest and 13th Age please!

The Glorantha setting will have 3 different systems attached to it, HeroQuest Glorantha, RuneQuest and 13th Age Glorantha. We could have one big forum to discuss it all together, or we could split it up into three different subforums. What would you prefer?

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I voted for one forum, however I think there should be sub-forums for Glorantha world discussion, and then one for each of the games for Glorantha game specific discussion. Of course there will be some cross over as good suggestions get pulled out to see if they will work in a more non-Gloranthan or more-Gloranthan way, but it should keep discussions somewhat tidy.

SDLeary

I voted for one, but I think it really depends on the volume of discussion that each of these systems generates. It doesn't make sense to have sub-forums if there's a chance that one system might get just a trickle of discussion. Maybe start off with one and then subdivide if you're seeing significant conversation from each system?

I voted for three subforums but really would like to have a common Glorantha and then specific to each game system = 1+3

If we go with three subforums, the main glorantha forum would work for system-less setting discussions, boardgames etc., so that would be 1+3

• Like 4

I agree with SDLeary's sub-forums idea (Glorantha setting, plus game system specific forums), but as K Peterson said it may not matter if the volume of traffic is low.

Confusingly (and happily), all three of the Glorantha games have non-gloranthan versions that can be run in other settings. Non-Gloranthan 13th Age has it's own website as it is the product of another company. What forum will one use for generic HQ or RQ6 support? I vote for giving each system it's own forum without specifying Gloratha in the title (except for 13th Age) - HeroQuest, RuneQuest, and 13th Age Glorantha. Questions about how to apply the rules in Glorantha would be handled in those forums along with generic rules support. The setting forum would be for game agnostic stuff.

• Like 2

If it is technically easy, start with one main generic Glorantha forum, and add the system/scope specific Glorantha sub-forums if we see a demand for them.

I can see a need for general Glorantha discussions coming under one forum (system independent), however, there will most likely be times when Gloranthan topics will be system specific. How often would system-specific Glorantha discussions occur? Would they occur regularly enough to require separate sub forums?

Is it worth considering a sub-forum for "Glorantha - Other Systems"? I know that conversions exist for Savage Worlds, and I am thinking of using One Roll Engine to run a few games in Glorantha. I still buy the Gloranthan material no matter what system I use.

Something like (depending on demand):

• Glorantha - World
  • Glorantha - Rules: RuneQuest/BRP
  • Glorantha - Rules: HeroQuest
  • Glorantha - Rules: 13th Age
  • Glorantha - Rules: Miscellaneous

A pinned FAQ for how to convert between systems would also be good (a Rosetta stone) so that work can be shared between systems and worlds (eg: A Gloranthan creature presented in HQ stats could easily be converted to BRP to use in a Sci-fi setting - cross system and cross world).

• Like 2

I'd rather have one forum for setting discussion of Glorantha. I think any mechanical discussion are better suited for a general forum on the game. 

I see people asking for sub-forums for Glorantha, but that seems to be dicing too fine. I don't want mechanical discussions of Runequest or Heroquest to be divided between Glorantha and non-Glorantha. Maybe one day this site will enough traffic that threads are disappearing off the front page in the space of a day. We are not close to that. Having post spread across too many forums makes the place look quieter than it is. 

If you have a setting topic, go to the Glorantha forum. If it is game-specific, go to the general game forum. I don't see people running a game on Monster Island freaking out because someone wants to share their mechanical write-up of a Gloranthan Cult in the same forum. Personally, if I were the guy with the Gloranthan cult, I would be just as interest in feedback from the Monster Island guy on how my mechanics stood up. 

• Like 1

I agree with SDLeary's sub-forums idea (Glorantha setting, plus game system specific forums), but as K Peterson said it may not matter if the volume of traffic is low.

Confusingly (and happily), all three of the Glorantha games have non-gloranthan versions that can be run in other settings. Non-Gloranthan 13th Age has it's own website as it is the product of another company. What forum will one use for generic HQ or RQ6 support? I vote for giving each system it's own forum without specifying Gloratha in the title (except for 13th Age) - HeroQuest, RuneQuest, and 13th Age Glorantha. Questions about how to apply the rules in Glorantha would be handled in those forums along with generic rules support. The setting forum would be for game agnostic stuff.

Generic RQ6 still has the RQ forums here, and the Design Mechanism forums, at least for now.

Generic HQ is a question, and I'm not sure of the demand. While an excellent game for Supers and for Tolkien, the only supplement that I know of for it is Charles' Nameless Streets (a mighty fine supplement I might add).

SDLeary

• Like 1

Generic RuneQuest rules discussions and non-Glorantha RuneQuest belongs in the RuneQuest Gateway forum. Would a HeroQuest subforum for the mechanics of the game under the More from Chaosium be an idea? Then all the discussions in the Glorantha forum would be Glorantha-related, mechanics would be elsewhere, and the forum would most likely be more busy than the individual forums at glorantha.com were. My experience with subforums here is that the total activity drops the more subforums you have. 

• Like 1

Generic RuneQuest rules discussions and non-Glorantha RuneQuest belongs in the RuneQuest Gateway forum. Would a HeroQuest subforum for the mechanics of the game under the More from Chaosium be an idea? Then all the discussions in the Glorantha forum would be Glorantha-related, mechanics would be elsewhere, and the forum would most likely be more busy than the individual forums at glorantha.com were. My experience with subforums here is that the total activity drops the more subforums you have. 

That would work. 

Something else that just came to mind Trif are the topic Tags. All that we create on our end are grey, and if you have multiple terms within a tag, can sometimes be difficult to see. On your end do you have the ability to pre-define certain tags and their color? For example, perhaps a Glorantha tag appears in red, an HQ tag in green. 

If this is possible, and if we can train ourselves to use them, this could perhaps reduce the need for nested forums.

SDLeary

Like others, I've voted for 1 forum. But there really needs to be at least two - Glorantha-the world, and Glorantha-Rules, much like the early Yahoo groups.

The Rules forums would be for discussion of game systems and their integration into the world of Glorantha.

The World forum would be for discussion of the minutiae and detail of the world that is Glorantha.

The issue with the poll is that it doesn't offer a choice to filter out world discussion from Game systems. Time has already proven that there is a desire to have separate discussions about Glorantha that doesn't involve game systems.

Would a HeroQuest subforum for the mechanics of the game under the More from Chaosium be an idea? Then all the discussions in the Glorantha forum would be Glorantha-related, mechanics would be elsewhere, and the forum would most likely be more busy than the individual forums at glorantha.com were. 

Yeah, that sounds good. I voted for three subforums, but I don't see any need for two separate Runequest forums, one under Chaosium Games and one under Glorantha, and it makes more sense to keep Runequest (mechanics) separate from Glorantha (setting). If the HeroQuest forum starts getting more traffic, it can be easily moved out of the "More from Chaosium" category. 

Yeah, that sounds good. I voted for three subforums, but I don't see any need for two separate Runequest forums, one under Chaosium Games and one under Glorantha, and it makes more sense to keep Runequest (mechanics) separate from Glorantha (setting). If the HeroQuest forum starts getting more traffic, it can be easily moved out of the "More from Chaosium" category. 

I agree, with two forums dedicated to the generic RPG mechanics of the two most used systems, everything we're left with here would be Glorantha related. Glorantha is Chaosiums biggest setting after Call of Cthulhu, so the Glorantha forum should be buzzing with activity. I think some of the reason for the rather low activity at the glorantha.com forums is that it's split across so many subforums.

• Like 1

I agree, with two forums dedicated to the generic RPG mechanics of the two most used systems, everything we're left with here would be Glorantha related. Glorantha is Chaosiums biggest setting after Call of Cthulhu, so the Glorantha forum should be buzzing with activity. I think some of the reason for the rather low activity at the glorantha.com forums is that it's split across so many subforums.

I think it was more to do with folks posting in the far more active and instant Glorantha google + page myself. I'm happy that we're all under one roof now, as I'm tired of having to scan half a dozen forums to keep up with what is going on. 

• Like 1

My preference would be to start with one, and consider sub-forii in the happy circumstance that traffic in the One True Forum becomes unbearable.

It is easy enough to ignore threads for rule-systems you don't personally care for, and "system mechanics" threads may well veer unexpectedly into interesting settings ideas. 

I voted for three subforums, mainly because I don't want to bother checking each thread title to make sure I click on the system (or systems) I'm interested in.

But I also agree that general Glorantha discussions should have their own space.

And what about hacks and adaptations to other systems by fans? I believe that in the future, a subforum will be needed for that too.

Before I misbehave over here (too), what level of Gloranthan esoterica is tolerable in this forum? I don't mean to revive the trollkin urine thread, but...

Welcome, Joerg. We're a pretty friendly (and esoteric) group, and if it's in the Glorantha section, you can probably get away with whatever level of esoterica you're comfortable with. We're also a diverse group--and here I'm talking about the whole site, not just the Glorantha section. There are people who play generic RQ6 but don't like Glorantha, people who don't like RQ6 but love Glorantha, people who love both, and people who love neither. But we all seem to get along.

Many of the people on this site are authors or publishers... or want to be.

If you're interested in everything, I highly recommend the New Content button. 

I think it was more to do with folks posting in the far more active and instant Glorantha google + page myself. I'm happy that we're all under one roof now, as I'm tired of having to scan half a dozen forums to keep up with what is going on. 

I agree - I think having the Google+ page has drawn a fair amount of discussion that would otherwise go to a forum.  Will be interesting to see if that shifts at all.

The separation of Glorantha and HQ works for me.