BRP PDF Download Available

I just downloaded the PDF version of BRP from Chaosium's site. On a virtual thumb-through, it looks really good!

They chose not to scan the cover, which is an odd decision, but other than that everything looks clean. Having seen the zero-edition, it's nice to see a lot of content clean-up as well.

Woohoo!

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just downloaded the PDF version of BRP from Chaosium's site. On a virtual thumb-through, it looks really good!

They chose not to scan the cover, which is an odd decision, but other than that everything looks clean. Having seen the zero-edition, it's nice to see a lot of content clean-up as well.

Woohoo!

Steve

Adding the cover with any quality to the PDF would probably have increased the size my a couple of megs. They probably wanted to conserve bandwidth usage.

That's cool - just picked up a copy myself. That's great to finally have the 1st edition seeing the light of day!

Neat things I'm picking up on from a quick flick through that weren't in BRP0: Psychic Combat, Missile Fire Hit Locations, quite a bit of additional new artwork, cool bunch of ref sheets including weapons tables at the back of the book... I'm sure there's *plenty* more but this is just from a first glance. :D

Congratulations Jason - it's out at last!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

The pdf is $15 cheaper than the book itself and it fits nicely in my laptop. I went ahead and bought a copy.

Of course I am going to buy the book when it comes out also. I can't help myself. :D

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Just downloaded. Delighted to have it. But in Preview on my Mac (OS X 10.4.11) nearly all of the graphics come through as photo negatives and the tables and option boxes are unselectable black text on black backgrounds. Stinky.

Same file works fine in Adobe Reader. Though the images take an extra second or so to resolve to their proper resolutions.

All in all, though, I'm glad to have the game in a PDF.

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

Badcat,

You might have to wait for morning. When I ordered mine it still charged for shipping (since corrected according to Charlie), and I had to wait until they "confirmed" the order. I'm not sure what's involved in that, but it may mean that a human gets involved and you won't get access until they are back in the office.

All that is my interpretation having gone through it this morning

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Just downloaded. Delighted to have it. But in Preview on my Mac (OS X 10.4.11) nearly all of the graphics come through as photo negatives and the tables and option boxes are unselectable black text on black backgrounds. Stinky.

Same file works fine in Adobe Reader. Though the images take an extra second or so to resolve to their proper resolutions.

All in all, though, I'm glad to have the game in a PDF.

I noticed that. Its probably encoded using a newer Acrobat version... it looks good in Acrobat Reader though. I'll shoot off a message to the Chaosium Crew about it.

SDLeary

I tried to buy it as a pdf today but although paypal took the money, I didn't get a link for the pdf itself. Did I do something wrong or is just off business hours or something?

Hi badcat,

Did you get it all sorted? Not sure whether you already tried, but when I paid via Paypal, nothing happened: I then went to the Chaosium site and clicked on "downloadable PDFs" and then on BRP, and the "requires purchase" icon (or whatever it was) had changed to "Download", allowing me to get the copy there.

It's a bit arcane, but it worked!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I just bought it. Apparently they sorted out the shipping cost issues, and I didn't run into any problem at all (I did not pay through PayPal). The PDF looks great to me. I thought the release was supposed to occur in only a few days, so it is a nice surprise.

Blast!!

I'm at work, and the cyber-nuns have Chaosium in their blacklist for the firewall... I'll get a copy tonight from home for sure!

(Yes, cyber-nuns. I write software for a Catholic healthcare system. Cyber-nuns. You wouldn't believe...)

Thanks for describing some of the differences, Shaira! My scenario submissions can be fleshed out with the full-on rules now.

-pax-

Emerging from my Dark Age...

Well, you had to expect that cyber-nuns blacklisted a site that is mostly about blasphemous cults and unspeakable deities :D

Jokes apart, the PDF is great. I have also ordered a physical copy through amazon.co.uk, but I just could not wait. Big kudos to Jason, who really scored a critical success while writing this book. I am gonna write an Italian review soon.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Good effort Chaosium

1. The mere promise of contributor's copy was enough for me to justify buying the download

2. The eShop is a bit fiddly but continued clicking of the mouse and we're in business

3. Opens fine in Preview on my Mac (10.3.9 on a G5)

4. Pretty Picture Cover all present and correct (and it looks a lot better big than it did in the previews and adverts

5. I like the selection of images (with a big back catalogue of piccies this could have gone either way)

Proper review will follow a proper read

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

The book looks awesome. The illustrations are fantastic. I can't wait to buy a print copy. I am welled up with pride to see my name in the playtester credits.

Guilty admission #1: I use to have a huge crush on Lisa Free.

Guilty admission #2: I feel a little playtester guilt now that I see the entirety of the powers chapter.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I have been reliably informed that she has moved away from illustrations for ethical reasons. I don't know if she's given up all illustrations, or just fantasy ones. Regardless, I feel it is a tragic loss to the entire gaming industry.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp