BRP Overload! What are you doing?

Harshax

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it turned out, BRP didn't make the final cut for the last campaign I set up (the campaign and system choices were based on player voting), but I'm certainly keeping it around for future options.

Thats an interesting way to do things. I tend to run the philosophy of "Im running the game, I choose the system!"

Thats an interesting way to do things. I tend to run the philosophy of "Im running the game, I choose the system!"

That's a more top-down approach than I consider desireable these days; I find I'm putting more and more of a premium on reducing elements that will cause group stress, and picking a system everyone's happy with is one of them. Since I don't put up campaign concepts or systems I'm not willing to run (even if I prefer some over others) its well worth any loss to get some gains there.

That's a more top-down approach than I consider desireable these days; I find I'm putting more and more of a premium on reducing elements that will cause group stress, and picking a system everyone's happy with is one of them. Since I don't put up campaign concepts or systems I'm not willing to run (even if I prefer some over others) its well worth any loss to get some gains there.

Well my current group has no other GMs and only I own any games so I started them on simpler games and then when I decided I wanted to run something, I decided I was doing the work before, during and after the sessions, so it should be a system/setting I find interesting enough to return to every week.

Well my current group has no other GMs and only I own any games so I started them on simpler games and then when I decided I wanted to run something, I decided I was doing the work before, during and after the sessions, so it should be a system/setting I find interesting enough to return to every week.

Me too, but there's a lot of those to be honest; in addition to BRP I'm perfectly happy running in Hero, JAGS, True20 and others, and I have more campaign ideas than I'll ever be able to get through in the rest of my life. So letting them winnow through them costs me little and potentially gains me a lot.

Maybe work on a BRP Dune and BRP James Bond.

I would love to see a BRP (or hell, non d20) spy-based game.

It's one of the saddest things to me about Chaosium losing the Eternal Champion license... I wish they'd found the time to do a Jerry Cornelius game.

It's one of the saddest things to me about Chaosium losing the Eternal Champion license... I wish they'd found the time to do a Jerry Cornelius game.

Instead of just a stock spy-based game, I'd say something more akin to

Flying Buffalo's Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes, complete with rules to

handle noir/gumshoe/pulpy to over the top action to gritty.

-V

That kind of parallels my own wishes for a game version of The Airtight Garage (which starred Jerry Cornelius... until Moorcock later regretted giving up Cornelius for the world to use)... and a Luther Arkwright, who seems an obvious literary relative of Jerry Cornelius.

I don't have much interest in 'straight' spy gaming... but throw in some multiversal conspiracies and talking dinosaurs and I'd be there.

For the last week or so, I've been kicking around the idea of running some sort of alternative earth in the same vein as Warhammer but with my own original material (except for the obvious orcs, elves, dwarves,ect). I already have a name for the planet, a rough sketch of the world and the main kingdom I would center my first campaigns within. I even have a little bit of a write up on the mythos and some of the countries.

That kind of parallels my own wishes for a game version of The Airtight Garage (which starred Jerry Cornelius... until Moorcock later regretted giving up Cornelius for the world to use)... and a Luther Arkwright, who seems an obvious literary relative of Jerry Cornelius.

I don't have much interest in 'straight' spy gaming... but throw in some multiversal conspiracies and talking dinosaurs and I'd be there.

Talking Dinosaurs? Hmmmm looks like I may have a new idea for a Berlin '61 Adventure.

Or even Oswald Bastable.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

I do have a nasty DarkHeresy Addiction,

So, how about doing a "Dark Heresy" to BRP conversion? A part of me is rather interested in running "Dark Heresy", the problem being I don't think it would be of interest to my players. :(

I'd really like to see a straight-up spy, spec ops game that's based on real world events and stuff. Maybe somebody can resurrect the Top Secret S.I. damage rules (percentage-based) for use with BRP--if it's compatible enough. And if copyrighting would allow it.

I'm leaning heavily toward creating a Points of Light campaign, inspired by the revisionist D&D 4E milieu. I'll use Dragonnewts as the basis for Dragonborn, and come up with something new for Eladrin, and Tieflings. Elves have to be modified as well.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I'd really like to see a straight-up spy, spec ops game that's based on real world events and stuff. Maybe somebody can resurrect the Top Secret S.I. damage rules (percentage-based) for use with BRP--if it's compatible enough. And if copyrighting would allow it.

I must be thinking wrong... because real world spycraft always seemed dull to me... mostly seems to be wiretapping and surveillance... avoiding combat at all costs until it's time for obliteration.

To trigger my imagination it has to float into less plausible/possible realms... like the Jason Bourne novels or Our Man Flint or James Bond... fancy globe-hopping guys who get up close and personal with the colorful villains... rather than just calling in an airstrike from a couple miles away.

Like, tracking down Osama Bin Laden isn't the sort of thing I'd want to game... it seems tedious... he's not very interesting compared to Dr. No or Goldfinger. He doesn't have a big secret base in a volcano or under the sea... most likely he's hiding under an outhouse somewhere.

His mooks don't have steel fangs or razor-sharp bowlers or interesting double-entendre names.

You probably never get close enough to trade witty barbs with him... just locate him and point out which rathole to send the missile at.

I must be thinking wrong... because real world spycraft always seemed dull to me... mostly seems to be wiretapping and surveillance... avoiding combat at all costs until it's time for obliteration.

To trigger my imagination it has to float into less plausible/possible realms... like the Jason Bourne novels or Our Man Flint or James Bond... fancy globe-hopping guys who get up close and personal with the colorful villains... rather than just calling in an airstrike from a couple miles away.

Like, tracking down Osama Bin Laden isn't the sort of thing I'd want to game... it seems tedious... he's not very interesting compared to Dr. No or Goldfinger. He doesn't have a big secret base in a volcano or under the sea... most likely he's hiding under an outhouse somewhere.

His mooks don't have steel fangs or razor-sharp bowlers or interesting double-entendre names.

You probably never get close enough to trade witty barbs with him... just locate him and point out which rathole to send the missile at.

Ever read any of the Rogue Warrior stuff by Richard Marcinko (he was one of the creators of the Navy S.E.A.L.S.)? I would suggest his books as edited/ghostwritten by John Weisman as the best of his books. If you can get your hands on his book Red Cell; that's his best fiction book.

Richard Marcinko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there's video games like Syphon Filter that the rpg could be based upon. There's a lot of action in that game. Of course a really good spy rpg would allow for Bond villains and the like:)

Spies and spec ops can always do assassinations or kidnappings, or just trying to find contact(s) in enemy territory; which could be quite tricky. And remember, the characters must get out of the area just as they had to get into the area to do the assassination, etc. The rpg could be made around S.W.A.T. and spec op tactics.

Investigative action looking for the enemy spy or just finding the enemy or information to steal could make for good role playing. So could just trying to get access to the building you must set up the surveillance equipment in.

And sometimes to call an airstrike, or set a bomb, a person has to get very close to the enemy.

Working on episode two of Stupor Mundi, but that is MRQ since it started with MRQ OGL and will continue so. I will make it more compatible with BRP if possible, though.

I am also working on a rule-agnostic system of Gloranthan Third Age magic that can work with both BRP and MRQ (and other d100 games as well). This is basically MRQ magic amended and made compatible with BRP.

Actually Paolo I wish you did to Stupor Mundi what you're doing to Glorantha Third Age, i.e., make it compatible with both MRQ and BRP.

Plus it would inspire me to do the same with my Chinese rolegame (yes, I'm too lazy to do this myself :))

Then there's video games like Syphon Filter that the rpg could be based upon. There's a lot of action in that game. Of course a really good spy rpg would allow for Bond villains and the like:)

Spies and spec ops can always do assassinations or kidnappings, or just trying to find contact(s) in enemy territory; which could be quite tricky. And remember, the characters must get out of the area just as they had to get into the area to do the assassination, etc. The rpg could be made around S.W.A.T. and spec op tactics.

Investigative action looking for the enemy spy or just finding the enemy or information to steal could make for good role playing. So could just trying to get access to the building you must set up the surveillance equipment in.

And sometimes to call an airstrike, or set a bomb, a person has to get very close to the enemy.

Which is why I suggested that something along the lines of Mercenaries, Spies

and Private Eyes is more appropriate. A sourcebook/game that can handle

anything from Bond to Mack Bolan to Clive Cussler to Sam Spade to real life

stuff. It would have optional rules tied to genre, which could be used at will

in any genre if desired.

If I had more free time, I would work on doing a port of the old Victory Games

James Bond 007 RPG as a basis, I already have ideas for Seduction,

Persuasion and Torture using the 007 rules, but adjusting to BRP. I also have

ideas on how to move over the fabulous Q Manual stuff as well, the vehicle

rules from the Q Manual coupled with the chase rules from the core are very

well done. Fate Points used as Hero Points, Ease Factors moving into modifiers,

and for the Bondish style of play, keeping the Ease Factor bidding. Since the

core is already a percentile based/skill based system, it will actually port

quite well.

-V

I always wanted to do a "Dirty Dozens/ Kelly's Hero's" kind of game set either in a moden day third world location or an alien planet. theres' a great movie from the 70's called" Sorcerer" where it begins with five guys from different parts of the globe who each get into vaious kinds of trouble and end up in this little s&%t hole of a town somewhere in South America. Be a great way to start off a game,

Which is why I suggested that something along the lines of Mercenaries, Spies

and Private Eyes is more appropriate. A sourcebook/game that can handle

anything from Bond to Mack Bolan to Clive Cussler to Sam Spade to real life

stuff. It would have optional rules tied to genre, which could be used at will

in any genre if desired.

If I had more free time, I would work on doing a port of the old Victory Games

James Bond 007 RPG as a basis, I already have ideas for Seduction,

Persuasion and Torture using the 007 rules, but adjusting to BRP. I also have

ideas on how to move over the fabulous Q Manual stuff as well, the vehicle

rules from the Q Manual coupled with the chase rules from the core are very

well done. Fate Points used as Hero Points, Ease Factors moving into modifiers,

and for the Bondish style of play, keeping the Ease Factor bidding. Since the

core is already a percentile based/skill based system, it will actually port

quite well.

-V

I've never heard of Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes before. But that would be an awesome supplement as those as I would like to do Bond, Clive Cussler (even though I've never read any of his books) and Mack Bolan and, of course, Rogue Warrior, etc.

I have no experience with the James Bond rpg. It's actually a percentile system? I would really like to see a James Bond-style rpg for BRP, too. But, like I said, I would like to do hardcore, "real life" type of spy playing, also.

theres' a great movie from the 70's called" Sorcerer" where it begins with five guys from different parts of the globe who each get into vaious kinds of trouble and end up in this little s&%t hole of a town somewhere in South America. Be a great way to start off a game,

I love 'Sorcerer'... it's a remake of 'Wages Of Fear' but I think 'Sorceror' is the better.

Interesting ideas could come out of that setting... that last refuge of desperate men... kind of like a prison but with out the cells or guards.

Has anyone ever based a game on 'Escape From New York'?

I think I remember an old Cyberpunk supplement that was similar... and GW's Necromunda setting has some of that flavor.

I have no experience with the James Bond rpg. It's actually a percentile system? I would really like to see a James Bond-style rpg for BRP, too. But, like I said, I would like to do hardcore, "real life" type of spy playing, also.

The James Bond 007 RPG is a percentile system. The mechanics

were quite novel at the time, and have held up quite well.

Stats were in the 3 - 18 range, but since it was a weighted point buy system,

actually purchasing a 17 or 18 meant you would have a very unbalanced

character - you definitely had to sacrifice points to get a stat that high. And,

it would be suicide to contemplate having two stats that high. As an example,

Jaws had a STR of 18.

Skills were based upon a stat or an average of two stats (most common).

There are a few exceptions of averaging three stats, or averaging a stat

and another skill (nice way to emulate skill trees). Skills were capped at

When attempting an action, you had what were called Ease Factors (EF).

These could modified up or down based on situation. EFs ranged from 1/2

(hardest) to 10 (easiest). So, even the most skilled person (30) attempting a

nerly impossible task (1/2) would fail 85% of the time. Most actions start

out at EF 7. Then, applicable situational modifers are applied. From there,

the EF Bidding starts. Basically, opponents bid down the EF to a point that

one of them is willing to risk and the other isn't. In essence, they bid based

upon how much of a risk they are taking to achieve their goal. The winning

bid sets the EF for both, the advantage of winning being that the winner can

choose to let the loser resolve his action first. That way, if the loser fails,

the winner may not even need to roll. Anyway, final EF bids are modified by

personal EF modifiers (equipment modifier or Hero Points for example).

Then, you roll percentile dice against relevant skill X EF. The results are

referenced on a chart to determine Quality Result of 1 (best) to 4 (barely

succeed) or flat out fail.

The EF bidding really suits Bond, as well as any other over the top cinematic

action film type genre. It can easily be ported over to BRP as an optional

rule, and for more gritty realistic games, it can be dispensed with.

-V

I remember really liking that system as well. One time I did a fantasy campaign using a cobble pot conversion from James Bond and it worked very smooth. As a GM I loved the ability to set the ease factors of various tasks characters would attempt.

294/420