THe God Machine

Wolverine

THE GOD MACHINE

The God Machine is a dark fantasy setting in which men and women live in a heavily industrialised medieval world, where steam-powered machines, gas-lit streets, and sorcery and science live side by side. Pollution, belched out by these wondrous machines, has destroyed the natural world, leaving it dead, barren: a dystopia, a world where men cling onto a bleak existence by the tips of their fingers.

Deep in the city of Fanghast, once the jewel in the crown of the mighty Assaldaar empire, religious fanatics of a cult known as the The God Machine build new machines to repair the damaged world. The real terror is, that unwittingly, the very machines they build do more harm, and day by day, the world dies a little more.

The God Machine is a new campaign setting for Basic RolePlay, a game of Science and Sorcery set in a world of perilous adventure.

The monograph will feature:

• A new campaign setting for Basic Roleplaying

• New magic system that can co-exist with those featured in the main rulebook

• A detailed overview of the city of Fanghast and it's dangerous Undercity

• Details of the society in general and criminal underworld

• Information about The God Machine cult and their worship

• A quick overview of the outside world surrounding the city

• The infernal machines and wondrous technologies of this medieval Industralised world

• An introductory scenario

Nathan Baron

THE GOD MACHINE

The God Machine is a dark fantasy setting in which men and women live in a heavily industrialised medieval world, where steam-powered machines, gas-lit streets, and sorcery and science live side by side. Pollution, belched out by these wondrous machines, has destroyed the natural world, leaving it dead, barren: a dystopia, a world where men cling onto a bleak existence by the tips of their fingers.

Deep in the city of Fanghast, once the jewel in the crown of the mighty Assaldaar empire, religious fanatics of a cult known as the The God Machine build new machines to repair the damaged world. The real terror is, that unwittingly, the very machines they build do more harm, and day by day, the world dies a little more.

The God Machine is a new campaign setting for Basic RolePlay, a game of Science and Sorcery set in a world of perilous adventure.

The monograph will feature:

• A new campaign setting for Basic Roleplaying

• New magic system that can co-exist with those featured in the main rulebook

• A detailed overview of the city of Fanghast and it's dangerous Undercity

• Details of the society in general and criminal underworld

• Information about The God Machine cult and their worship

• A quick overview of the outside world surrounding the city

• The infernal machines and wondrous technologies of this medieval Industrialised world

• An introductory scenario

Sounds really cool Nathan - what sort of time frame are you looking at for submission to Chaosium? Is this a solo effort or is there a team involved?

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds very cool... especially if the setting really reflects how that sort of technology could exist in a 'medeival world' and how it would transform it... rather than just having knights and horses shoveled in beside higher tech gizmos. It seems to me that it would be a fairly strange and alien place...

Edited by Simlasa

Thanks for showing an interest. :)

This is not set in your typical medieval world with steam engines and mechanical monsters thrown in. If someone did want to play a Knight who rides a mechanical horse, however, the option is open to them. It will become clear once I can show you some of the concept artwork, which will give you a feel to what setting will be like. The artist is, unfortunatly, in the middle of moving home, so she's unable at present to scan in and send me the pictures she's completed so far.

As for the Thief games, yes I played the first two. I drew inspiration from a number of sources to create The God Machine setting originally, ten years ago. The Thief series was one of them, Legacy of Kane was another; and a little bit of Moorcockian influence thrown in for good measure. Since then it has evolved, and has transformed itself, through several years of playing, into its own unique world.

I'll be happy to answer any further questions if you have any.

Nathan Baron

As for the Thief games, yes I played the first two. I drew inspiration from a number of sources to create The God Machine setting originally, ten years ago. The Thief series was one of them, Legacy of Kane was another; and a little bit of Moorcockian influence thrown in for good measure. Since then it has evolved, and has transformed itself, through several years of playing, into its own unique world.

That alone pretty much sells me on it:thumb:

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give you an update on how the God Machine monograph is progressing.

I've completed the background section of the book. This weighs in around 30,000 words by itself. I've just got to put the last few pieces in place, then I will move onto the rule side of things. I've already completed the rules for one type of magic, and have worked out how another will work, but need to write it up. I have salvaged two old scenarios I wrote a while back. With a bit of reworking, they will suit the setting quite nicely.

The only thing that I cannot tell you about is the artwork. I'm still waiting for the first pieces to be submitted to me. This is the part that may slow publication down. I will keep you informed.

Nathan Baron

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

An update on The God Machine:

The project isn't dead. I have been conducting some extensive play-testing and I have found that the setting seems to drift far too close to a conventional fantasy than I like it to. The games I've run have felt as if they were set in the world of Empires Rising, and that's not what I want for The God Machine. My next step for me is to re-write the setting from the ground up, and I will begin work on that once I've completed the Empires Rising book for Newt.

Until then, I wont make any big announcements to what I am planning for the book. You will just have to be patient and watch this space.

Nathan Baron

It really depends on which direction I would like to take it. There is no point in writing something if its going to be just another stereotypical fantasy setting. I needs something to make it unique and stand out. Something that will make people go wow! So far, there has been very little interest in the setting. Only a handful of questions asked. If I want it to appeal to a wider audience, I need to come up with something that will appeal to them, and not just one or two people. At the end of the day, Chaosium need to be able to sell the books.

Nathan Baron

It's not that we're not interested, because we are ( well, I am at least ) it's just that it's your baby so we figured you'd tell us stuff when you're good and ready.

EDIT Go on then tell us something then. :-)

Joking aside, perhaps a little about the magic systems ?

Edited by Agentorange

The magic systems that are featured will be staying the same, with one or two minor tweaks. Artificer and Necromantic magic are the two being introduced. It's just the setting that needs to be worked on from the ground up.

Can you throw us a few bones about the systems without giving everything away ?

Whatever you choose to divulge about the setting would be read with interest as well.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to rethink the setting just a little. I am looking to showcase the new version of the God Machine this year, probably at Continuum. I know what direction I would like to take, and it isn't a step too far off my original idea - dark fantasy meets steampunk . I will fill you all in once I start work on the re-write.

At the moment I'm concentrating on writing Empires Rising for OpenQuest. That project is almost complete. Then I will look at the God Machine again.

Nathan Baron

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...