Egregious munchkinnery!

PhilHibbs

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

This seems to be in the spirit of the game. I recall in Snake Pipe Hollow that the broo Disease Master had inflated his temple to a larger size by getting the mass of mindless Disease Spirits to count as worshippers (they only have POW). So, Umbroli should likewise qualify. Note: I have the RQ2 and RQ3 versions of SPH, so YGMV.

Spoilers good sir, spoilers!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Spoilers don't work any more

Well they kind of do...
there is always the old variety of spoiler

THERE  WILL BE SPOILER MATERIAL BELOW>>
Highlight to view>>

Hi Simon!

Did you see it? To utilize, simply turn the text white.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

I don't know if it is munchkin behavior or juat regular Trickster BS but, Illusions look either crazy awesome or terrible. Depending on creativity of the Illusionist and what the GM lets fly.

Does an illusion need to have a complete set of "realistic" components to affect reality?

If a Eurmali wants to, could he start an invisible fire? Would it set adjacent objects on fire? Could they summon invisible acid, even a cloud of acid, or a barrel full of oil right next to the bad guys so she can cast Ignite?

Did we just invent Gloranthan Fireball? Eurmali Illusions up a room full of SIZ 1 flasks of oil, or the equivalent in a cloud of explosive vapor of choice, casts ignite, room explodes along with Eurmali and most of the loot and the dungeon!

Edited by HreshtIronBorne

My fiance rolled up a duck with a minotaur friend. The minotaur can go into a non-magical fanaticism like state. He is also a Storm Bull berserk because that works for us. 

How does the berserk or fanaticism effects interact with splitting attacks. We have run just a few adventures and her minotaur wrecks all the things super hard. 

Both Great Axe and Headbutt are over 100%. Great axe swings on SR 3, headbutt on 5, split axe swing on 6, split headbutt on 10. I have been adding the total skill with berserk/frenzy up then dividing it by 2, then adding any situational bonuses to the individual attacks. Is this generally considered an acceptable calculation for skills? She hates math so we don't bother with skills over 100 rule and subtracting opposing values and stuff. Absolutely stomps, especially versus chaos. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

How does the berserk or fanaticism effects interact with splitting attacks. We have run just a few adventures and her minotaur wrecks all the things super hard. 

Both Great Axe and Headbutt are over 100%. Great axe swings on SR 3, headbutt on 5, split axe swing on 6, split headbutt on 10. I have been adding the total skill with berserk/frenzy up then dividing it by 2, then adding any situational bonuses to the individual attacks. Is this generally considered an acceptable calculation for skills? She hates math so we don't bother with skills over 100 rule and subtracting opposing values and stuff. Absolutely stomps, especially versus chaos. 

Due to its stats, it should come as no surprise that the Minotaur is a combat monster way out of balance with anything else. You should add all modifiers before splitting though, or it becomes way too easy even for minotaurs. Not using the skills over 100% rule also is great for making splitting better. So you’ve set up the perfect storm for yourself with these three items.

Under normal rules, trying to do all this against an extremely skilled opponent, such as a Humakti (especially under Sword Trance) would likely end in total disaster.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

I was getting that feeling. I think we are going to try the Skills Over 100 Rule for some adventures and see how it feels. I can do all the bookkeeping behind the scenes and just tell her what to roll under. 

100% + 50 from frenzy/berserk would split to 2 attacks @75 each, then modified for suprise, height, blindness or other advantages/disadvantages?

Makes it a more interesting tactical decision to pop berserk. It would also incentivise tactical thinking against opponents of different skill levels and equipment kits. 

Thanks for your feedback!

10 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

100% + 50 from frenzy/berserk would split to 2 attacks @75 each, then modified for suprise, height, blindness or other advantages/disadvantages

Sum up everything first, then split. Anything else makes splitting way too good.

Of course, you could even split the axe attack three ways, here...

EDIT: Wait, you can’t do the three-way split by RAW due to the weird clause about ”natural” skill ratings (I don’t use that, because I think it makes no sense).

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Well, if we wanted to explain why it requires a full week, perhaps you can acquire the spell in an instant, but it takes a week to fully internalise that piece of a spirit you just melded into your own spirit in order to use it as a spell. Perhaps shamans need less time because they are more used to using their spirit in this way than theists. 

I've just had an idea.

I disliked this 1 week thing so much I started a thread on it (sometime last year... or more). Someone suggested that it was because of the focus...

My new idea is - you do learn the spell instantly, however without tthe focus it takes the usual double amount of time to cast. And I doubt many people would want that. (Could also introduce a negative to casting - which would actually make sense as well)

Apologies for not being either egregious, or munchkinnerry... 

• Like 1

Just now, Shiningbrow said:

My new idea is - you do learn the spell instantly, however without tthe focus it takes the usual double amount of time to cast

There is already a rule for this, It takes the whole melee round to bring the focus to mind and then you cast it as usual on the second MR if you lack a fetish/foci

Just now, Bill the barbarian said:

There is already a rule for this, It takes the whole melee round to bring the focus to mind and then you cast it as usual on the second MR if you lack a fetish/foci

I know there's a rule (I thought it was double, not full melee - my bad!), and I was trying to incorporate it.

I was merely looking for the justification for the time difference.

"Why does it take a week, when the spirit gives it instantly?"

"The focus takes a week. If you don't have the focus, then it's really gonna hurt to heal yourself in the middle of combat!"

9 hours ago, Dragon said:

Why are we worried about getting bound spirits to become lay members or initiates in order to learn new spirit magic spells?

It wasn't about learning new spells.

It's about having an extra supply of them. I.E., about double your CHA worth (well, more... An extra xD6 CHA worth more per spirit).

4 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I know there's a rule (I thought it was double, not full melee - my bad!), and I was trying to incorporate it.

I was merely looking for the justification for the time difference.

Well it does work, I had considered that as well.

9 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I don't know if it is munchkin behavior or juat regular Trickster BS but, Illusions look either crazy awesome or terrible. Depending on creativity of the Illusionist and what the GM lets fly.

an eurmali is able to eat a minotaur with both fanatism and berserk

In fact I think an eurmali is able to eat anything, probably even the death itself (but they won't, death is too funny to break it) . Some will again reject me, but remember that an eurmali can be played by a GM too 😛

RAPMU is marching

*Resistance again player-munchkins union

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

This thread is for player-munchkins only! Munchkin GMs can go make their own thread!

Don't worry, I am taking notes.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Could also be applied to Javelin, slings ,or other ranged combat, yeah? I like the idea of a Storm Bull who HAS to slay the Gorp so he ends up tossing every piece of ammunition the party owns, party members wildly trying to cast speedarts or firearrows before he melts all their gear AND doesn't even hurt the thing. 

One of my players quickly saw the benefit of having a bound spirit that can support spellcasting (Multimissile in this case) just as quickly as the character can attack at range.

(In the process also realizing that Multimissile means that you fumble a lot.)

• Like 1

Just realized (in the spirit of the thread, too!) that Berserker is a perfect (well, it has some practical downsides...) Chaos detector. It objectively triggers on Chaos, without any concerns about detection or anything like that. Attack someone, and see if you get your attack skilled increased by 50%, or doubled. If doubled, you know it's Chaos, no matter how hidden or in an Illuminant. Otherwise, not.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Just realized (in the spirit of the thread, too!) that Berserker is a perfect (well, it has some practical downsides...) Chaos detector. It objectively triggers on Chaos, without any concerns about detection or anything like that. Attack someone, and see if you get your attack skilled increased by 50%, or doubled. If doubled, you know it's Chaos, no matter how hidden or in an Illuminant. Otherwise, not.

Reminds me of old witch trials. If my axe doesn't go ALL THE WAY THROUGH the victim then clearly it wasn't chaos. If it did then burn the body for good measure, because it was clearly chaotic. 

Edited by HreshtIronBorne