Egregious munchkinnery!

PhilHibbs

18 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

No sure about this cheat but usual Increasing POW Through Spirit Combat is 1D3-1

Thanks for the reminder. I was aware I might have misremembered, (I thought it too silly to bother checking) but that would not change the calculation: 16 rounds of Spirit Combat per day is as easy as 11.

and limited to 1 gain per season

I don't recall any indication that is correct for the POW gain from defeating Disease Spirits. The only word I recall from the rules is "immediate." 

I'm sure the Chaman must first get the POW and the sacrifice it for the fetch to gain one

On a superficial reading of page 356, perhaps... But the following makes it clear that "sacrifice" in that passage is meant in the general sense, not the literal. 

"When gaining 1 or more points of POW, a shaman may give this new POW to their fetch, thus increasing the fetch’s POW." p. 358

So... I'm sticking with my 22 hypothetical days for an egregious outcome that has already been gazumped by a rules change. 😁

17 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

I personally don't use these rules but Inscribing Spells : For each point of POW you have a focus for one unique spell with strength+1, range+1, or duration +1 without requiring any manipulation by the sorcerer (no need for runes or extra).

I remember looking, but not finding, explicit reference in the rules that Sorcerous Inscriptions were reusable in the same way as Enchantments. Is that made clear anywhere? 

The Munchkin context: 500 clan members could chip in a point of POW to create an Inscription for Enhance Int 100 with a few years of duration... Then cast on each of the clan members. 

• Like 1

The enchanter, who must know the 
spell, must sacrifice 1 point of POW to create the inscription. 
For each point of POW added to the inscription, the base strength, range, or duration of the spell is increased by 1, without requiring any manipulation by the sorcerer. This enables the sorcerer to create spells with a greater intensity than their Free INT would allow.Once inscribed, the sorcerer may cast the spell at their normal skill in that spell. Only the sorcerer may use the inscribed item to cast the spell.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nick Underwood said:

The Munchkin context: 500 clan members could chip in a point of POW to create an Inscription for Enhance Int 100 with a few years of duration... Then cast on each of the clan members.

My understanding is that Inscription doesn't equal enchantment, but just looks similar because it's a funky magic item which you sacrifice POW to create. For example, there's no "Create Inscription" spell. So the others add POW rule wouldn't apply.

Of course, if I'm wrong, there are.... implications. Terrifying implications.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

2 hours ago, Nick Underwood said:

I don't recall any indication that is correct for the POW gain from defeating Disease Spirits. The only word I recall from the rules is "immediate."

I don't recall things... I check them ! And sorry pal but you've go all it wrong !

First, The rule clearly state in Bestiary / Spirits / Spirit Powers that you "will steal 1D3 POW" ...and gain POW as if "a POW gain roll had been made." So you CANNOT gain an infinite amount of power from a tiny spirit ! (a bit commun sense man) ! 🧐

Second, As you go hunting don't forget that as you fight you'll lose some MP and you nor your fetch can regenerate MP if discorporate. You also have to sacrifice POW to give to your fetch and as the rule state "A characteristic cannot be increased beyond the species maximum, however, and any points in excess are lost.". Hunting POW for you fetch mean you will have to found a rare spirit and the fight it without having your max POW... you won't die from AGEING but from Chronics diseases or being possessed by a spirit disease 😜😈

Third, do you really think that enchantments and spirits abilities are a decoration ? Why need  them if anyone can have a hundreds power-points fetch !? If you want to fight 300 POW Spirit disease go to Dorastor and good luck becoming the best friend of a Shaman Broo of Malia (beware of the night, they do nasty things 😱)

Go back studies your rules and do never forget the malediction of the Bestiairy "May Hykim and Mikyh Consume and Devour those that would misuse this book."

PS : I feel like being the old Rosen McStern : "Rules are RULES ! You don't have the rules references go back to your lair little mongrel" Clearly remembering him pesting me but DURA LEX ES LEX !!!

edit : very bad mispell (underscored word), one last but very nasty word ... "Critical hit on the teeth, call for the little mouse pal ! " 😬🤐

Edited by MJ Sadique

2 hours ago, Crel said:

My understanding is that Inscription doesn't equal enchantment, but just looks similar because it's a funky magic item which you sacrifice POW to create. For example, there's no "Create Inscription" spell. So the others add POW rule wouldn't apply.

Same. No group inscriptions, they are creator-only.

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

This seems to say differently, as well as imply that inscriptions function like normal enchantments aside from the restrictions.

Screenshot from 2020-07-07 16-50-07.png

Edited by Richard S.

47 minutes ago, Richard S. said:
3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

This seems to say differently, as well as imply that inscriptions function like normal enchantments aside from the restrictions.

This does open the door to PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER level shenanigans in the Hero Wars. Argrath and the other Heroes end up pulling off some crazy stuff by bringing different magics together and being mega munchkins.

19 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

This does open the door to PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER level shenanigans in the Hero Wars.

Not really or I rather said Not Only,

This simply confirm that sorcerers using the same grimoires and spells must regroup to create a place of power which give a vast source of power and protection. HRQ is mainly speaking about the power and magic in Kethaela+DragonPass and theirs neighbourhoods country so Sorcerers Schools are off-topic from the start !

19 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Argrath and the other Heroes end up pulling off some crazy stuff by bringing different magics together and being mega munchkins.

Argrath's Sartar Magical Union is the exact exemple of this. For the sorcerers part I could think Tosti Runefriends Company because they uses a ritual by drawing to create large magical effects. As some or their method date back to God learners, a lot of sorcery may be involved !!!

HOW ? Probably a spell version of Inscribing spell with 5pts base spell (as it is rare) and the cost of 1D10 MP instead of 1 POW. Such Ritual can only be used if all know how to Incribe a spell and also know the spell choosen as well for the casting. A bit similar to the circle of protection in RQ3 (not sure about the english name) which is useless unless it is combinate with another spell !

On 7/8/2020 at 5:51 AM, Richard S. said:

P390, in the sub-section on inscribing spells - "Only the sorcerer may use the inscribed item to cast the spell."

Pretty cut and dried, unless they're look I to change a very clear, specifically worded ruling.

As for getting people to "donate" the power, I'm sure there will be ways around it... Like an adjusted Drain Soul (Int x ? to make such a spell... Maybe only 1 season)

On 7/7/2020 at 5:45 PM, MJ Sadique said:

edit : very bad mispell (underscored word), one last but very nasty word ... "Critical hit on the teeth, call for the little mouse pal ! " 😬🤐

Maybe you could have toned it down a bit as well. It comes across as aggressive and unpleasant.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I may getting a bit on fire...🤣

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Maybe you could have toned it down a bit as well. It comes across as aggressive and unpleasant.

😒 yeah, I know ... but I'm a bit in villain mood. Surely because I miss the old war like discussion with Rosen. Ah the Nostalgia of fighting over the rules for days and ... losing pitifully because some rules got a triple Errata : An Errata of Errata of Errata. I miss the 90'...

😈 Could have tone it down : no, I can't... I just can't be ???         !? What was the opposite word for being bad, ugly and sadic ? Niké, Nike or Mice. Can't remember !

😇 Aggressive : NO and I'm doing this for is own good because everyone will learn more in hardcore mode than a little pony discussion. Being friendly does not mean being nice all the time, when you want the others to progress, you need the to be more that what they are today. You don't take time for the pleasure to break people dreams (not only) but also to help them and guide them in this world of Glorantha a world of antic heroes no Superman (Lunar red-son of Krypt-moon), no Captain indestructible Shield (Who let him stole the Adamant shield of Arran) but a world of simple heroe like some Orlanthi who can throw his spear, jump on it and fly throw the sky; or a Yelm's son who can ask his sun-father-in the-sky to orbital blast you with the celestial fire...

🤡 Unpleasant : 300%  yes ! I don't hate (D&D) players but sadly a lot of them have create the "Munchkin without brains" --the French RPG Magazine Casus Belli call (with humour) such players a GrosBill : "the brain of a canari with the firepower of a Nuclear Aircraft-Carrier"--. I like having player finding way to be some Munchkins but doing it with Intelligence, without cheating and certainly not the "I think I read somewhere in the rule if I spend 3POW to hum-hack-the-rules I can get a Runic Sword +20/+20 vs undead, and as living being are not dead, I can oneshot kill a dragon with it 😁". NooooOO ! NOT UNDER MY WATCH !!!!!!!

🙄 Did I give some slap, yes. Did I get better with them : clearly. Did everyone need them : no. I am feeling guilty of anything : NEVER IN MY LIFE !

🧐 Throwing some munchkin card from another post.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:43 AM, MJ Sadique said:

If your are very nasty, you can call for Fire-Wolvy : a not very know Chaman of the Wolverine tribe (tribe mentionned in hero wars), make him draw three Bone-claws in each hands and then Spell Barage : Double fireblade x3 (9D6 per hands, 18D6). As usual don't explain the spell used but ony ask your players for some extra D6 to borrow because you don't have all the dices you need 😈 

Having three tables knives in one hand and triple Fireblade... Within the rules or Not ? 🙄

Secret PS : You want to be a munchkin, I will be the first to help you But a Rosen was the Judge Dredd of the Rules, I may be the Punisher of the rules and my motto is "Not under my watch !".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

Having three tables knives in one hand and triple Fireblade... Within the rules or Not ? 🙄cret PS : You want to be a munchkin, I will be the first to help you But a Rosen was the Judge Dredd of the Rules, I may be the Punisher of the rules and my motto is "Not under my watch !".

I like the way you think.

8 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:
15 hours ago, soltakss said:

😒 yeah, I know ... but I'm a bit in villain mood. Surely because I miss the old war like discussion with Rosen. Ah the Nostalgia of fighting over the rules for days and ... losing pitifully because some rules got a triple Errata : An Errata of Errata of Errata. I miss the 90'...

My sincerest apologies @MJ Sadique. I had chosen not to respond out of concern that that you were one of the younger posters on the forum; one on whom the nuances of careful and polite counter-argument might be wasted. I was also concerned that the excessive desire to be seen to be right could hint at a fragility that was best left unchallenged. I was wrong and I apologise.  Now I understand that you were in fact just adopting a persona in order enjoy the nostalgia for those heady days of futile disagreement. Yes, I too was that obnoxious persona (knocking around the UK fanzine world in the 80's).  Let us continue in that nostalgic vein, with no offence taken on either side, or on our behalf!

So. You reproach my (admittedly totally invalid) proposition for Munchkinning up a Super-Shaman of Death in 22 days with five Objections. There is also much supporting, mulitcoloured, (and emojied) self-congratulation with no direct bearing on the discussion, but I will concentrate on the content of your argument and dismiss the extraneous embellishments as either a misguided attempt to bully a newbie who dared to disagree with you, or to give the casual reader the impression that you were winning a rules discussion you hadn't even understood. 

Objection 1

My claim that the POW increase from defeating a Disease Spririt was 1D3 is incorrect.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:20 PM, Nick Underwood said:

No sure about this cheat but usual Increasing POW Through Spirit Combat is 1D3-1

Except, the POW increase from defeating a Disease Spririt is 1D3, as you yourself cite!

On 7/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, MJ Sadique said:

The rule clearly state in Bestiary / Spirits / Spirit Powers that you "will steal 1D3 POW"

Let us gloss over the indecorum of failing to acknowledge that your contradiction of a poster was mistaken—brooding over such a point wouldn't be in keeping with the fun characters we have chosen to play.

Objection 2

My timeline for increasing the POW of the fetch through capturing the POW of Disease Spirits is untenable, as POW Gains are limited to one per season.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:06 PM, MJ Sadique said:

Increasing POW Through Spirit Combat is 1D3-1 (Average of 1pt) and limited to 1 gain per season

You may be confusing the POW gain from defeating a Disease Spirit with a standard POW Gain roll. 

I'm pretty sure we did not read the same rules (RQG p418)... 

You clearly are getting confused with standard POW Gain rolls as that is what p. 418 deals with. The correct references for POW gains from combatting Disease Spirits are RQGB p. 169... Which I believe you know, because you later cited the page to me. (Of course, without mention of your earlier mistake... Oh, what fun to discuss like we are juveniles again! )

I don't recall things... I check them ! And sorry pal but you've go all it wrong !

Oh the irony, pal!

It's good that we can call each other "pal". But do look up it's cultural connotations before you get yourself into bother in a London bar.

Objection 3

My assumption that... Actually, I have no idea what this objection is. It's either a total non sequitur, or it is two points conjoined and compressed beyond recognition. 

First, The rule clearly state in Bestiary / Spirits / Spirit Powers that you "will steal 1D3 POW" ...and gain POW as if "a POW gain roll had been made." So you CANNOT gain an infinite amount of power from a tiny spirit ! (a bit commun sense man) ! 🧐

You may be saying 'The rule clearly state in Bestiary / Spirits / Spirit Powers that you "will steal 1D3 POW" ...and gain POW as if "a POW gain roll had been made."' So... the normal rules of POW Gain rolls should be applied. I'd respond: as if "a POW gain roll had been made." That is: successfully completed. The conditions under which the roll were made do not apply in this case. (And I'd be right.)

Alternatively, you may be saying 'something, something, something, "So  you CANNOT gain an infinite amount of power from a tiny spirit !" To which I'd reply: you are ABSOLUTELY right! But let's not resort to the dishonesty of attributing some false claim to a poster for the purpose of flambouyantly demolishing it (with added exhortations and emojis). I was reasonably clear to anyone interested in understanding the Munchkinnery I was proposing:

Discorporate, find Disease Sprit, defeat Disease Spirit, Gain 1D3 POW, capture Disease Spirit in Fetch, command Disease Spirit to attack Shaman, defeat Disease Spirit, gain 1D3 POW... Repeat... (for 16 POW per day?)

You can get an average of 16 POW from a Disease Sprit by capturing, commanding, defeating it until it is all used up! The next day you need to Discorporate, find another Disease Spirit and start again.

Objection 4

Discorporation with the intention to increase shaman POW requires the shaman to be below maximum POW when entering spirit combat with the Disease Spirit.

Second, As you go hunting don't forget that as you fight you'll lose some MP and you nor your fetch can regenerate MP if discorporate. You also have to sacrifice POW to give to your fetch and as the rule state "A characteristic cannot be increased beyond the species maximum, however, and any points in excess are lost.". Hunting POW for you fetch mean you will have to found a rare spirit and the fight it without having your max POW... you won't die from AGEING but from Chronics diseases or being possessed by a spirit disease 😜😈

An absolutely valid point. (Don't be afraid to say it!) 18 POW would be optimal to capture (up to) an additional 3 POW.  I did point out that it needs some lucky dice. I didn't point out, for reasons of brevity, that there are better ways of capturing Disease Spirits, and you clearly don't need to challenge the big ones!

Objection 5

My described process requires continuous Discorporation throughout.

in your case OF EXTREME AGEING when he get back to his body 120 years after his first discorporation...

No it doesn't. Discoporation is only required to capture the Disease Spirit once per day. After capture you can slowly digest the remainder of the Disease Spirit from the comfort of your barn in the mundane plane.

Objection Whatever...

Third, do you really think that enchantments and spirits abilities are a decoration ? Why need  them if anyone can have a hundreds power-points fetch !? If you want to fight 300 POW Spirit disease go to Dorastor and good luck becoming the best friend of a Shaman Broo of Malia (beware of the night, they do nasty things 😱)

Hmm... You're not even raising a praticality. You're saying it is not in the sprit of the game. That's not really a pertinent objection in a thread about the fun process of finding exploitations that the rules allow - but no-one would want in their game.  I guess it might be relevant if I had said something to suggest that I was a "GrosBill" who came up with a Super-Shaman of Death with fantasies of domineering people in a table top game. But... unfortunately that's no more than another assumption you labellled me with.

And as for sharing some good old nostlagic fun, here are some of my favourites. Oh, you do this sooo much better than me!

A MUNCHKIN who doesn't know the rules of the world he live usually DIE

Go back studies your rules and do never forget the malediction of the Bestiairy "May Hykim and Mikyh Consume and Devour those that would misuse this book."

"Critical hit on the teeth, call for the little mouse pal ! " 😬🤐

NO and I'm doing this for (h)is own good because everyone will learn more in hardcore mode than a little pony discussion.

I like having player finding way to be some Munchkins but doing it with Intelligence, without cheating and certainly not the "I think I read somewhere in the rule if I spend 3POW to hum-hack-the-rules I can get a Runic

Did I give some slap, yes.

Did I get better with them : clearly.

I clearly had a lot to learn from the Maître. Thank you, for all you have taught me.

So it's been great sharing the nostalgia. But it reminds of just how poor and unrewarding discussions used to be when we were young and foolish enough to think that winning an argument was more important than learning from each other. Let's resolve to continue our conversations in a more constructive way in future. :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MJ Sadique said:

I love this kind of answer ! I'm a bit sad I cannot give him a Lama badge (token of appreciation on DeviantArt).

👍👍👍 For Nick, I'm laughing too hard to response today !     a but a splendid counter ! 🤣

Nick Underwood and MJ Sadique walk off into the sunset with arms around shoulders, the sounds of their laughter and joyuful converation echoing through the village « Mais qu'est-ce qu’on s’est bien marrer, hein ? Ta riposte la, mais bluffant ! Tu m'as completement cassé ! D’où tu sors des trucs pareils ? Dis… on prend un verre… ? »

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Nick Underwood said:

18 POW would be optimal to capture (up to) an additional 3 POW. 

Except... Wouldn't the munchkin shaman take a few levels of Soul Expansion, knowing they're going to use this exploit in the future... 

At least up to POW 24... Maybe a few points higher (obviously, using Pow as the burn stat)

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Except... Wouldn't the munchkin shaman take a few levels of Soul Expansion, knowing they're going to use this exploit in the future... 

At least up to POW 24... Maybe a few points higher (obviously, using Pow as the burn stat)

There would defintely be some possibillities for optimisation, that would make Super Shaman less dependent on lucky dice! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Underwood said:

There would defintely be some possibillities for optimisation, 

Hm let me meditate™ on that. Nah, that would take too much time. Instead I will read this egregiously wonderful topic again, like a good little munchkin (now where did I put that note pad)...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Let's go for round 3...  and a bit optimisation 😛

On 7/10/2020 at 1:41 AM, Nick Underwood said:

Objection 1 Let us gloss over the indecorum of failing to acknowledge that your contradiction of a poster was mistaken
Objection 2 You may be confusing the POW gain from defeating a Disease Spirit with a standard POW Gain roll.
Objection 3 You can get an average of 16 POW from a Disease Sprit by capturing, commanding, defeating it until it is all used up! The next day you need to Discorporate, find another Disease Spirit and start again.
Objection 4  I did point out that it needs some lucky dice. I didn't point out, for reasons of brevity, that there are better ways of capturing Disease Spirits, and you clearly don't need to challenge the big ones!

Let's not counter objection one by one, it will be boring for everyone... me first 😒

First before anything; About the Disease Spirit Ability rule : The "will steal 1D3 POW" ...and gain POW as if "a POW gain roll had been made."'. As a scientist (one who study the laws of the univers ) ie Game Rules Designer I don't like the formulation of this rule. Defeating a disease spirit will "immediately" give you immunity to it's disease but the part about "as if the roll as been made" don't convince me it that the gain should be immediate. Three P.O.V :

1. The gain is immediate ( lex parsimoniae ) and the rule feel flawed (my first idea).
  2. The gain is immediate and the counter part of this advantage is in the RARE nature of the spirit (what i tend to think now)
  3. The gain is not immediate because you need time to digest the spirit, so you gain POW at the end of the season without any POW Roll (a big thank for nick response because I did not think about the digestion principle at first)

Knowing a bit the rules designers, I think they would validate the choice 2. I would prefer the third, a bit more realist than a super instant power-up...

Second, About the objections 1&2, I did not read all the full rules so, yes a bit confusion in my first post (I should create a Special Spirit rules pack cause there are a tons of rules 😱).

Third, about objections 3&4 + the Rare nature of the Spirit : I did not bother calculating alls stats but the main reasons the munckinnery will be harder to attain lies in getting you hand at the good spirit in term of nature an strength. Brief look :

1. To find the good spirit (RQG CHA4028, p374-375) you have 3-4 chance to find the good spirit per day with around with a Spirit travel+modifier-rarity so around 50%+1/MP spend. In term of stat you can easily achieve a 50% chance per try with 5 try at the expense of 2D6 HP which mean a 96,875% chance to find a disease spirit.
  2. Second you will need to defeat it, an average spirit have POW 16 and in consequence a Spirit Combat at 85% (RQG - Bestiary CHA4032, p165). The trick (or flaw) is that Disease spirit do not attack your MP, it just infect you and "the disease spirit will try to withdraw to infect a new victim" --how ? the rules at p166 give no clues--. So you have to KO the spirit before it infect you with all the disease they carries --how much ? , no clues in the rules either-- 🙄.
  3. Third problem is not a rules but a Roleplay problem : If you are a good Chaman, you may not destroy (in your case, digest) the soul of dead man. (Bestiary p166, column 2, line 3-4). If your are an evil chaman, no problem you can even create spirit disease to get stronger, so no need to hunt them. 😈

The main problem will be to knockout the an 85% Combat Spirit in less than Number_of disease*4*chance_to_hit_you rounds. So much unknown factor... I miss the time where spirit fight only need you to overPOW your enemy.😪

After objectively thinking about this, there is too much holes in the rules to find a clear rule answer but such Munckinnery mainly need a way to deal spirit combat damage in a sure way where even a high level spirit combat (85%) doesn't bother you ( Flaws/Holes in the rules and roleplay apart ). I still did not find a way, maybe a Runespell but you'll need to buy an insane amount of RP to cast it every days 😒

You just need to find a sure way to deal at least 18MP damage in less than 4-8 rounds and your munchkin way of the digesting-disease will be secure !

PS : Your shaman with POW11 is ridiculous ... he is too weak, even weaker than the assistant chaman Vishi DUN. Make him A POW 15 at least or 18 to optimize.  Shiningbrow's response about Soul expansion is also a very good idea.

PS 2 : I've just read a ridiculous thing about the fetch POW " regenerates magic points at the same rate as the shaman’s own magic point regeneration." So a 15POW shaman will have his 300 POW fetch regenerate his full MP in 20 days !!!? So Nick, you've just found a way to create a Big lazy piggy fetch 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJ Sadique said:

I've just read a ridiculous thing about the fetch POW " regenerates magic points at the same rate as the shaman’s own magic point regeneration." So a 15POW shaman will have his 300 POW fetch regenerate his full MP in 20 days !!!?

Well of Daliath:

Fetch’s Magic Points Recovery Rate

The fetch’s magic points regenerate at the normal rate, in parallel with the shaman’s. If the fetch’s POW is 12, for example, it regains 1 magic point every two hours.

What the Fetch Provides the Shaman, page 356

This additional POW regenerates magic points at the same rate as the shaman’s own magic point regeneration.”

Second POW, page 358

These rules seem to contradict each other. I wish you would clarify the recovery rate of the fetch’s magic points.

Use the fetch’s POW to determine the fetch’s magic point recovery rate.

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

13 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

You just need to find a sure way to deal at least 18MP damage in less than 4-8 rounds and your munchkin way of the digesting-disease will be secure !

Ummm, wasn't that obvious?

You already have a Healing spirit or 2 commanded to fight the disease spirit first, to take its MPs down to about 2 or 3, then enter into Spirit Combat with it...

Option B would be all attacking it at once.