Designing the new RuneQuest - part 12

MOB

I like these conceptual sketches very promising. Like that you've found an artist who understands Anatomy yet still has a feeling for the flow & movement of a drawing. Really good choice - Sometimes these sketches can stir the imagination more then the finished paintings. Ideally i like a contrast of sketches and fully realised images. looking forward to new Runequest :)

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, MOB said:

Mid June!

*Gnashing of teeth*

That's a joke, right? I thought end of Q2 is the target for the new RQ Kickstarter. Right? Please?

EDIT: in case it is not a joke -- who do i have to bribe, what oaths do i have to swear, and how much do i have to pay, to get a copy *this month* of the already-written core rules? I'm not joking; i'm very concerned that my group will wander off and commit their free time to other games or pastimes if they have to wait half a year...

Best,

Mikael

Edited by mikkling
  • Like 1

I expect it's not a joke; note that "end of Q2" is June (presuming they follow Calendar-Year "quarters" not some wonky "financial year" quarters), so that's the same timing (albeit later than some of us might want ... )  (I'd LOVE to see someone work up a Gloranthan-calendar-based financial year ).

The RQ-centric folk go heroquesting to find a way to stop all the time & resources wasted on that CoC boondogle, while Cthulhu fans are loosing SAN at a fearsome rate as they see Chaosium being lured toward eldritch Glorantha...  ;)   No joke:  I have literally seen a CoC-fan and RQ-fan look at the same set of "ab-Chaos" newsletters, the one complaining "Chaosium is all about RQ these days, can CoC get some love?" while the other says "I'm tired of this all-CoC all-the-time coverage, can't we hear about RQ for a change?"   I'm sure the folks at Chaosium experience this all too regularly...

They just have a *LOT* of irons in the fire.

And many of those "irons" just take time... art work needs to be commissioned, prelim sketches approved (or revised), final art assembled & layout done, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

(I'd LOVE to see someone work up a Gloranthan-calendar-based financial year ).

Not quite the same thing but where I come from seasonal accounts need to settle at the close Fire/Truth to give people time to catch up from the previous Market Day and start prepping for the next one. Some people also forgive or at least roll over outstanding invoices going into Secret Way but there's no compliance requirement there -- it's just best practice as the roads to the underworld open.  

singer sing me a given

7 hours ago, mikkling said:

I'm not joking; i'm very concerned that my group will wander off and commit their free time to other games or pastimes if they have to wait half a year...

Yep, RQ Quickstart's release is confirmed for June, and will include an introductory scenario. Fortunately there's plenty o' RQ Classic to keep them entertained in Glorantha for the mean time...

• Like 1

One advantage of having a later release, incidentally, is that next year is the 40th Anniversary of RuneQuest, so maybe releases could be built into this celebration. 

With regards to the art, my basic hope is simply that the layout, design and quality matches that of GtG. HeroQuest: Glorantha does this already, so guess that is the idea. 

And yes, the Classic RQ releases does maintain interest for those of us who never experienced the game the first time round. 

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, g33k said:

The RQ-centric folk go heroquesting to find a way to stop all the time & resources wasted on that CoC boondogle, while Cthulhu fans are loosing SAN at a fearsome rate as they see Chaosium being lured toward eldritch Glorantha...  ;)   No joke:  I have literally seen a CoC-fan and RQ-fan look at the same set of "ab-Chaos" newsletters, the one complaining "Chaosium is all about RQ these days, can CoC get some love?" while the other says "I'm tired of this all-CoC all-the-time coverage, can't we hear about RQ for a change?"   I'm sure the folks at Chaosium experience this all too regularly...

While we had just a few grumbles, we are very mindful of balancing the coverage in our social media and engagement efforts. But it will be the case that at certain times - such as when we're releasing a new product - one of our lines is going to be more prominent and newsworthy than the others.

35 minutes ago, TrippyHippy said:

With regards to the art, my basic hope is simply that the layout, design and quality matches that of GtG. HeroQuest: Glorantha does this already, so Guess that is the idea. 

The layout and art of the new RQ will be of the same standard as the latest Call of Cthulhu releases Doors to Darkness and Pulp Cthulhu:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MOB said:

While we had just a few grumbles, we are very mindful of balancing the coverage in our social media and engagement efforts. But it will be the case that at certain times - such as when we're releasing a new product - one of our lines is going to be more prominent and newsworthy than the others.

Add some Stormbringer into the mix and we can annoy everybody! :D

But seriously, I think the balance is about right. 

• Like 3

Yep I can handle RQ Quickstart + introduction scenario at June, that sounds quite reasonable

But are we looking at an end of year for full release for RQ, or end of next financial year, so June 2018?

If there is to be a RQ KS, then what is the ETA for that? (I need to save my clacks now if I'm going in for premium level backing)

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

6 hours ago, MOB said:

Yep, RQ Quickstart's release is confirmed for June, and will include an introductory scenario. Fortunately there's plenty o' RQ Classic to keep them entertained in Glorantha for the mean time...

Very well. Let us hope the old RQ holds enough interest for them, so we can ramp up to the summer release. 

Best,

Mikael

24 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Yep I can handle RQ Quickstart + introduction scenario at June, that sounds quite reasonable

But are we looking at an end of year for full release for RQ, or end of next financial year, so June 2018?

If there is to be a RQ KS, then what is the ETA for that? (I need to save my clacks now if I'm going in for premium level backing)

We'd be doing the Kickstarter this year after GenCon. The books are to be finished prior to the KS.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

We'd be doing the Kickstarter this year after GenCon. The books are to be finished prior to the KS.

Oh so that's why the RQ Quickstart will be released mid year, as that's usually the time for Gen Con in the USA. So the RQ KS rolls out not long after that, I guess that sounds good, esp considering the books should be mostly finished by the start of the KS. Hopefully a quick turnaround time from crowd funding to print, it would be nice to finish the 40th anniversary off with new RQ books. I'm definitely going in for the slipcase version you were considering a while back

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

7 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Oh so that's why the RQ Quickstart will be released mid year, as that's usually the time for Gen Con in the USA. So the RQ KS rolls out not long after that, I guess that sounds good, esp considering the books should be mostly finished by the start of the KS. Hopefully a quick turnaround time from crowd funding to print, it would be nice to finish the 40th anniversary off with new RQ books. I'm definitely going in for the slipcase version you were considering a while back

More or less. But there will likely be a few surprises you will like a lot about the timing (and delivery) of the RQ Quickstart.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

For what it is worth, my goal is for the presentation in the new RQ books to surpass the standards we've set so far in HQG and CoC.

Wow ... both HQG and CoC 7E are some of the best looking RPG books around today. If RQ matches this these books then you'll make a lot of people very happy. However if RQ manages to surpass those books then it will truly be a thing of beauty. 

Edited by Mankcam

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

For what it is worth, my goal is for the presentation in the new RQ books to surpass the standards we've set so far in HQG and CoC.

Guide to Glorantha was simply the most magnificent product ever produced for role playing in history.  So whatever you have planned for RQ, I'm sure it will be excellent.  There is no one with a higher standard of quality than you guys.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff said:

Maybe it's just the homonymic adjacency of Quickstart and Kickstart in my head, but I'm a little confused.

So RQ QUICKstart is ETA June-ish.

RQ KICKstart will be done after GenCon (ie mid Aug)

But the RQ books will be 'done' before the kickstart - "done" meaning "completed in composition and editing, ready to be printed" I assume?  Considering they're going to be done before it even starts, it's not really a Kickstart, is it?  More like using the Kickstart engine to serve a pre-order mechanism?  (EDIT: my point was that I was going to ask if we could put in pre-orders, etc, but if that's the point of the kickstart, it would be a dumb question)

Or am I just totally misunderstanding?

Thanks!

Edited by styopa

46 minutes ago, styopa said:

Maybe it's just the homonymic adjacency of Quickstart and Kickstart in my head, but I'm a little confused.

So RQ QUICKstart is ETA June-ish.

RQ KICKstart will be done after GenCon (ie mid Aug)

But the RQ books will be 'done' before the kickstart - "done" meaning "completed in composition and editing, ready to be printed" I assume?  Considering they're going to be done before it even starts, it's not really a Kickstart, is it?  More like using the Kickstart engine to serve a pre-order mechanism?  (EDIT: my point was that I was going to ask if we could put in pre-orders, etc, but if that's the point of the kickstart, it would be a dumb question)

Or am I just totally misunderstanding?

Thanks!

My guess:

1) It is a pre-order system, allowing Chaosium to get the money upfront and not have to take a big guess of demand

2) It's a Kickstarter in it allows (hopefully) for Premium Rewards e.g. Leather bound books, Slipcases, The Definitive Book on God Learners etc.

3) They might have a few nice little stretch goals in mind, if funds allow

4) It's also a nice bit of publicity to raise awareness

5) Helps restore Chaosium's Kickstarter reputation

• Like 1

Speaking of stuff hovering around GenCon, have there been any announced plans regarding Chaosium, RQ and GenCon?  Sadly, I didn't have the opportunity last year to try their 'rough play' slot of the upcoming version, so I'm hoping there will be more offerings to get more people interested this year.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:32 AM, jongjom said:

My guess:

1) It is a pre-order system, allowing Chaosium to get the money upfront and not have to take a big guess of demand

2) It's a Kickstarter in it allows (hopefully) for Premium Rewards e.g. Leather bound books, Slipcases, The Definitive Book on God Learners etc.

3) They might have a few nice little stretch goals in mind, if funds allow

4) It's also a nice bit of publicity to raise awareness

5) Helps restore Chaosium's Kickstarter reputation

I love how you slipped that "The Definitive Book on the God Learners" in there.

I'd pay more than I can afford for that level of kickstarter.