Favorite weird factoid or detail from Glorantha

Qizilbashwoman

One of my favorite bits from the original Jonstown Compendium (in the RuneQuest Companion): "There is a great fortress far to the north amidst the wastes of Hykim and Valind; a giant valley with a humid, warm climate. Trees grow in profusion there, and flowering plants sprout amidst pleasant, warmly-watered meadows. All around this wondrous haven tower the cliffs of the glaciers, and they have brooded there since Valind first howled out of the north. But the ice demons never invade the valley. The beetling mountains of ice and their howling winds form merely an appealing contrast to the perfection of the valley. The inhabitants of this paradise live without want, hunger, or pain, spending their lives in ceaseless wonder and joy. But all these happy inhabitants are broos."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

But all these happy inhabitants are broos."

That reminds me of the enlightened gern (herdmen). What a creepy existence he must have since gern don't look exactly like human beings. Everywhere he goes, people think he's food... and then he talks.

there's also gern broo, which are even creepier

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

That's a mindscrew.

something about them being animals, not people, means that gern broo have gern heads. normally if you lay an egg in a person-rune thing you just get a bog-standard goat-broo. it's only funky stuff when you lay an egg in an animal, like... a deer-broo, or a bear-broo, or a rhino-broo, or a stegosaurus-broo, or whatever.

apparently since gern don't have the person rune...

anyway now i'm afraid of hoon-broo

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

something about them being animals, not people, means that gern broo have gern heads. normally if you lay an egg in a person-rune thing you just get a bog-standard goat-broo. it's only funky stuff when you lay an egg in an animal, like... a deer-broo, or a bear-broo, or a rhino-broo, or a stegosaurus-broo, or whatever.

apparently since gern don't have the person rune...

anyway now i'm afraid of hoon-broo

In the Snakepipe Hollow's ancient Earth temple there was a broo that was a quadruped goat with a horned human head.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

something about them being animals, not people, means that gern broo have gern heads. 

Speaking of:

Storm Bull in Prax is depicted with a people body and the head of the herd animal. This means that the Morokanth depict him as having a Morokanth body and a herdman head.

They probably call him ”Storm Bloke” or ”Storm Dude”, I imagine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Speaking of:

Storm Bull in Prax is depicted with a people body and the head of the herd animal. This means that the Morokanth depict him as having a Morokanth body and a herdman head.

They probably call him ”Storm Bloke” or ”Storm Dude”, I imagine.

Storm Gern

Bisos appears to be our own Waha; I guess he too used to have a full bull's head. Now he just has that stupid hat from the flintstones

image.png.05776e0492acaa78c123d0fe0ad50a4b.png

26 minutes ago, Brootse said:

In the Snakepipe Hollow's ancient Earth temple there was a broo that was a quadruped goat with a horned human head.

that's extremely metal although not terribly practical for the broo in question.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

TIL the Heortlings are called that because they are "little Harts". They were deer hsunchen and Heort was named that because it's a variant form of the Old English word for "hart".

Sometimes I am really not very observant.

So you're telling me I can call them "lil deer bois"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

like for real heort + -l "little hart" + -ing "member of group", it's exactly "li'l deer peeps"

The "l" in "lings" doesn't have to be a diminutive - it also can serve as a "-like-", much like -oid modifies -id in adjectives (e.g. humanoid). And some syllable closings don't lend themselves to direct addition of -ing. There is nothing diminutive in the German term "Wüstling", or in Tolkien's use of "Easterling".

Heort himself was a shaman. His personal rune (in Thunder Rebels) symbolifies the antlers of his white deer ancestry (which isn't Hsunchen, but similar). I wonder whether his crown was antlered that way, too (shades of GoT...)

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The "l" in "lings" doesn't have to be a diminutive - it also can serve as a "-like-", much like -oid modifies -id in adjectives (e.g. humanoid). And some syllable closings don't lend themselves to direct addition of -ing. There is nothing diminutive in the German term "Wüstling", or in Tolkien's use of "Easterling".

Heort himself was a shaman. His personal rune (in Thunder Rebels) symbolifies the antlers of his white deer ancestry (which isn't Hsunchen, but similar). I wonder whether his crown was antlered that way, too (shades of GoT...)

Interesting, seems like -ling works like the Finnish -lainen. Probably a loan word.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Interesting, seems like -ling works like the Finnish -lainen. Probably a loan word.

Yes, but also and perhaps more to the point, -nen (thus also preserving the occasional overlap with the diminutive). -nen also maps to the Finnish tribes: Karjalainen, Pohjalainen, etc. 

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

his white deer ancestry (which isn't Hsunchen, but similar)

all i know is it was patrilineally-transmitted White Deerism. Wouldn't it be a kind of hsunchen? Isn't hsunchen a term for people who still maintain a lack of beast division from ancient days? I know people like to be really specific about it meaning something now ("a descendant of the Mikyh-Hykim twins who lives in the wild etc.") but before the Dawn we're still dealing with mythic things.

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

all i know is it was patrilineally-transmitted White Deerism. Wouldn't it be a kind of hsunchen? Isn't hsunchen a term for people who still maintain a lack of beast division from ancient days? I know people like to be really specific about it meaning something now ("a descendant of the Mikyh-Hykim twins who lives in the wild etc.") but before the Dawn we're still dealing with mythic things.

The key line for me is that the Hidden Kings in whose orbit he grew up "resorted to shapeshifting to survive," suggesting a return to totemic foundations late in the primeval Vingkot collapse. We see something similar in The Birth of Tragedy with its "immense gap which separated the Dionysian Greek from the Dionysian barbarian." Some are deer who become bipeds. Some are bipeds who become deer. The wheel spins.

Of course the people of Heort are not unique in this experience and while many nations now seem settled I suspect not all have completed their journey. The Jonatings seem to have gotten bearier in certain historical periods even after more or less becoming a settled non-totemic culture. Basmolites, Praxians, Losk-alim, etc. All at their stages.

There are also those who believe any historicity in Heort's legend should be read allegorically as part of the transition from shamanic to theistic consciousness but those who know usually find other things to talk about. Li'l boi here . . . 

FullSizeRender(29).jpg

• Like 3

singer sing me a given