Personalities of the Fire, Light and Heat Runes

None

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I'd mostly chalk it up to, again, the God Learners having an Orlanthi bias in how they came to understand and know theists. The God Learners - who are generally considered to be the makers of these runic lattices and explanation models - were geographically locked off from the Pelorians, and only much later in their conquests met with Pamaltelans and Vithelans, so their primary terminology for - for example - the Storm God tends to be drawn from Orlanthi neighbors, ie. Orlanth, even though they could hypothetically have used West Wind (Pentans), or Worlath (Ralios), and so on.

That'd make it a little better but doesn't let me shake the feeling that the setting was built for the orlanthi (and maybe Esrolia). That I'm more interested in and curious about the solar civilizations of the setting might also make it grate against me a bit more. (Not to mention that they sometimes, at least to me, feel like the settings punching bag.)

That interest is also why I'm so interested in Dendara, she feels way to important to not at least have her own cult write up. Not to mention she's the only real 'goddess of women' that I've found aside from Ernalda.

That also segues into why I'm interested in details about the light rune (and to a lesser extent the heat rune), half of the solar population, or at least the urbanized part, should commonly be born with the light rune. The implications of a lot of pelorina, or dara happan women being naturally born with a what is essentially a "lesser" form of an elemental rune is also one that I don't want to ignore. It's interesting from a world-building, cultural, and probably also mythological standpoint.

1 minute ago, None said:

light rune (and to a lesser extent the heat rune)

heat is Lodril, the god of the filthy peasants who worship savage Risketing gods

Pela and Oria are important to women of Peloria. Dara Happa prizes Dendara but Darsen and elsewhere ignores Her as another name for the female Wind god Entekos. Darsen is likely to be lots of Moon and Wind runes, and not necessarily sorted by sex. It's really only Dara Happa that's gonna be split so hardcore, I think.

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Pela and Oria are important to women of Peloria. Dara Happa prizes Dendara but Darsen and elsewhere ignores Her as another name for the female Wind god Entekos. Darsen is likely to be lots of Moon and Wind runes, and not necessarily sorted by sex. It's really only Dara Happa that's gonna be split so hardcore, I think.

Really? Oria is earth and I don't know which elemental rune Pela is but I still can't remeber any goddess other than Ernalda and Dendara (and Halisayan  who seem to be Kralorelian Dendara) having been presented as a 'goddes of women' as part of their core theme.

I also have trouble seeing Dendara as having the storm rune, especially as she existed before Umath and the storm rune.

4 minutes ago, None said:

Really? Oria is earth and I don't know which elemental rune Pela is but I still can't remeber any goddess other than Ernalda and Dendara (and Halisayan  who seem to be Kralorelian Dendara) having been presented as a 'goddes of women' as part of their core theme.

I also have trouble seeing Dendara as having the storm rune, especially as she existed before Umath and the storm rune.

I'm telling you what they believe. They believe her name is a title for Entekos mistaken as a separate deity.

I don't know that assigning a deity as a deity of a gender is really a thing. Jernotius/Jernotia is the deity of who refused to pick a gender but there's not really deities whose job it is to be a woman or a man.

Also Jernotix is a deity of illumination, not "not being a gender"

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I'm telling you what they believe. They believe her name is a title for Entekos mistaken as a separate deity.

I don't know that assigning a deity as a deity of a gender is really a thing. Jernotius/Jernotia is the deity of who refused to pick a gender but there's not really deities whose job it is to be a woman or a man.

Ernalda is pretty much always defined as 'the goddes of (human) women' among a lot of other things. Dendara is only other one I've seen comming close to that title.

Regardless, I think she (Dendara) is too important to the solar pantheon and Dara Happ not to have more material.

Edited by None

On 11/18/2019 at 5:39 AM, None said:

That said out of all the elemental runes the sky/fire rune have the vauguest and fewest personality traits numbering only two.

In RQG (page 48) it says the following for sky/fire: Personality: To have a strong affinity with Fire/Sky means to be pure, chaste, idealistic, and perceptive. 

Which is whatever a player makes of it. My LM lay member in Balazar is annoyingly determined to understand/know the truth of things. She is interested in furthering knowledge for herself, and sharing it...if she can come off looking smarter than the person she is sharing with. Otherwise, let them learn on their own. She notices a lot of stuff and files it away for later. Her interests are squarely in the knowledge and she has little thought for bodily pleasures. Although she will complain endlessly about discomfort. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Inactive account.

1 hour ago, Minion1stClass said:

In RQG (page 48) it says the following for sky/fire: Personality: To have a strong affinity with Fire/Sky means to be pure, chaste, idealistic, and perceptive. 

Thanks, that pretty much doubles the sky/ fire traits that I know of. It also gives me a lot more to work with. Still wish that elemental sub runes slanted the traits of their parent rune a bit but I guess that's less important.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, None said:

Pela would also be earth (and plant, maybe?), she's the wheat goddess. Peloria is probably a conjunction, "Pela Oria"- wheat Oria, the land of wheat, contrasted with the riceland of the river bottoms and the barley/millet land of the true uplands. (This in turn leads me to suspect Shargash was the original agricultural god of the Dara Happans and Lodril was adopted from the wheat folk because he was more docile, more willing to segregate destructiveness into Monster Man).

Ernalda being a "women's goddess" is probably an artifact of the Orlanthi being very detailed and having such a fluid class structure that the prospect of a goddess for all (85% of) women is plausible, just like Orlanth is a men's god. 

Dara Happans and Pelandans and miscellaneous Lodrilli are more stratified, so they have at a minimum a division between peasant woman goddess Oria/Biselenslib and citizen woman goddess Dendara/Ourania, plus Gorgorma as an anti-ideal. 

In re Shargash and Six Ages: It's Elmal taunting him about lacking heat and so being unable to replace Yelm, but I think you could more easily interpret that as the "warmth portion" of the soul (and so Shargash is dead and can't keep people alive) or Riders taking some solace in the fact that their Sun is superior even if Alkothi can beat them up with ease. 

Shargash does have some interesting associations, especially with the Red Goddess (Verithurusa and Shargash are red planets deeply affected by Umath's passage) and Orlanth (Orlanth stole lightning from him, but he stole thunder from Orlanth, unless it was Umath, or perhaps it was a mutual exchange...). He also has a very interesting color scheme.

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

1 hour ago, Eff said:

This in turn leads me to suspect Shargash was the original agricultural god of the Dara Happans and Lodril was adopted from the wheat folk because he was more docile

I've heard suggestions that (in Peloria), Shargash was slash-and-burn agriculture, while Lodril is the fire god of wet rice agriculture, which replaced it. His association with ash and burning certainly makes this likely.

I'm not sure what happened to Shargash's Celestial rune, if anything; He's a mystery to me as the Death Celestial. I always thought He was the Sun at night, because He is the Sun god in the Underworld, but I don't think anyone agrees with me.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I've heard suggestions that (in Peloria), Shargash was slash-and-burn agriculture, while Lodril is the fire god of wet rice agriculture, which replaced it. His association with ash and burning certainly makes this likely.

I'm not sure what happened to Shargash's Celestial rune, if anything; He's a mystery to me as the Death Celestial. I always thought He was the Sun at night, because He is the Sun god in the Underworld, but I don't think anyone agrees with me.

I would be inclined to think that because Shargash seems unfitting for rice and more fitting for swidden, if not for the issue that Shargash is tied to the Rice Goddess Biselenslib and Lodril is not, and Shargash is also seen as wedded to the Oslira and Lodril isn't. Lodril is also associated with plows and plowing. Which is confounding, but stranger things have happened in the real world, of course. 

But (and I really should finish my Shargash exegesis one of these days), I think that perhaps Biselenslib is/was the deity of rice harvesting and the process of constructing a paddy or ricefield, and Shargash is a more passive producer of fertility. Alternately, his firey agriculture is actually slash-and-char like was practiced in pre-Columbian Amazonia, though the last time I thought about slash-and-char in a Gloranthan context, I placed it in Wenelia as a means of "awakening a slumbering Earth" to tie it to its RW effect of soil enhancement and improvement. 

Shargash as he exists in current Pelorian culture is fundamentally a god like Thor, what Georges Dumezil would have called a "power god", a deity that uses the weapons of the natural world to destroy the enemies of order. But he's also a god representing something horrible, an intrusion of the polluted world of death into the living world, letting demons loose to mingle with living people, whose followers smear themselves with ashes, dirt, filth, etc. And then there's Tolat, the other prominent red planet god, who's more like Ishtar or Ugaritic Anat- a god associated with sex and violence. I think Shargash is similar. Or rather, Shargash is a god that represents the shadowy parts of people, the urge to commit violence, have sex, step in mud with your bare feet, engage in life outside the constrains of order. 

And to an extent in the GRoY, you can see Shargash as someone that's bound and released, held in place by the social strictures of Yelm or Antirius or Murharzarm's Justice, only freed when an enemy god shows up and disrupts that order. (And so when Antirius fails completely, Shargash is totally unrestrained, but then he's free to destroy the world to bring it into his Enclosure for later repair. Death brings Life!) 

So I think that Shargash and Shargashi generally are "contraries", in the sense that that term is used to describe people in North American societies who ritually do things against the grain in some fashion. Shargash is a fire, a Bird Soul, that doesn't think and engages in nearly mindless violence. (There's also something to be said about the differences between a spear as a phallus, so common in Glorantha, and a mace or club as one, but that's a bit deep in the weeds.) Shargash is the Sun of Hell, light that exists in a place of pure darkness. Shargash is associated with the realm of the digijelm but is also the greatest fighter against them in Pelorian beliefs. Shargash is a god of mindless violence and yet Alkoth's libraries are the best in Peloria.

As such, Shargash is intolerable but invaluable, able to adapt to any situation possible without forcing worthier gods to act in an unJust fashion. 

It's thus no surprise that Alkoth is one of the early supporters of Yelmgatha and the Red Goddess, but also no surprise that Shargash's worship isn't trusted by the Lunars, either- it's not like Shargash will stop being contrary just because Sedenya says so. (I would suspect Shargashi can be found eagerly supporting Fiscal Anarchists and other such White Moon notions.) 

I think this helps give Shargash a definable position that allows him to have specific myths of his own, make him disreputable in Peloria without being likable by anyone else, and also syncs fairly well with Tolat as one of the "moving gods" of Teshnos and immediate environs, while stil being definably different and distinct. 

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

6 hours ago, None said:

That'd make it a little better but doesn't let me shake the feeling that the setting was built for the orlanthi (and maybe Esrolia). That I'm more interested in and curious about the solar civilizations of the setting might also make it grate against me a bit more. (Not to mention that they sometimes, at least to me, feel like the settings punching bag.)

That interest is also why I'm so interested in Dendara, she feels way to important to not at least have her own cult write up. Not to mention she's the only real 'goddess of women' that I've found aside from Ernalda.

As I've said, I agree about the Orlanthicentrism, and hopefully future texts will expand upon some of this - though texts like Fortunate Succession, Glorious Reascent and Entekosiad does help paint a much more complex and interesting picture of the Pelorians (even if GRoY and FS also betray the chauvinistic imperialist attitudes of the Dara Happans which doesn't make them hugely likeable).

5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

5 hours ago, None said:

Ernalda is pretty much always defined as 'the goddes of (human) women' among a lot of other things. Dendara is only other one I've seen comming close to that title.

Regardless, I think she (Dendara) is too important to the solar pantheon and Dara Happ not to have more material.

5 hours ago, Eff said:

Pela would also be earth (and plant, maybe?), she's the wheat goddess. Peloria is probably a conjunction, "Pela Oria"- wheat Oria, the land of wheat, contrasted with the riceland of the river bottoms and the barley/millet land of the true uplands. (This in turn leads me to suspect Shargash was the original agricultural god of the Dara Happans and Lodril was adopted from the wheat folk because he was more docile, more willing to segregate destructiveness into Monster Man).

Ernalda being a "women's goddess" is probably an artifact of the Orlanthi being very detailed and having such a fluid class structure that the prospect of a goddess for all (85% of) women is plausible, just like Orlanth is a men's god. 

Dara Happans and Pelandans and miscellaneous Lodrilli are more stratified, so they have at a minimum a division between peasant woman goddess Oria/Biselenslib and citizen woman goddess Dendara/Ourania, plus Gorgorma as an anti-ideal. 

In re Shargash and Six Ages: It's Elmal taunting him about lacking heat and so being unable to replace Yelm, but I think you could more easily interpret that as the "warmth portion" of the soul (and so Shargash is dead and can't keep people alive) or Riders taking some solace in the fact that their Sun is superior even if Alkothi can beat them up with ease. 

Shargash does have some interesting associations, especially with the Red Goddess (Verithurusa and Shargash are red planets deeply affected by Umath's passage) and Orlanth (Orlanth stole lightning from him, but he stole thunder from Orlanth, unless it was Umath, or perhaps it was a mutual exchange...). He also has a very interesting color scheme.

I personally think we find "women's goddess" in almost all cultures. Sometimes it's an Earth Goddess, sometimes a Crop Goddess, sometimes it's a Horse Goddess (Gamara seems to have this role in the equestrian cultures), and some times it might be some other animal goddess (Eirithia, obvs., but also Entra/Entrula, etc.). We might have some other cases as well (maybe water or what have you, such as the Enslib godesses), not including the obvious Elder Races ones (ie. Kyger Litor and so on).

I also think it's better to think of these godesses less as "the goddess of women", and more as "the goddesses of the things women do/the things that make women women". That's why we so often find a focus on how they contribute to their societies and have sacred activities, in addition to stuff like childbirth and so on. 

And I agree, so far Dendara has been lacking in this.

@Eff, thanks for the Six Ages reference. Interesting.

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

There's a direct quote from Six Ages (which is as close to Chaosium canon we're gonna get on this one, I think:)

""A priest from the <Rider> clan told me of an old tale he had recovered, of how Shargash the Red Demon Sun of Alkoth was once a benevolent god who brought the city fertility by burning away trees and weeds so they could plant their crops. But the storm gods made him crazy. <Interesting if true, but not very useful/This might be so, but it really won’t help us>."

I personally interpret this as Shargash indeed being a god of slash-and-burn agriculture, which a) is useful before the coming of the great rivers, and b) fits with his now-destructive properties, but also c) ties into his underworld associations, as someone who uses death to bring life, and also reveals the hidden "good" seeds underneath the "bad" weeds. Metaphor for him being the crusher of rebels is tempting to add as well.

If it's okay to associate Shargash with two celestial objects, then I'm all onboard with Shargash being the Sun in the Underworld, though that claim could also be held by Bijiif, Yelm's "Warmth" Portion and presumably the same entity that's called "Maggotliege" in Orlanthi stories. There's also the Egyptian way: where Shargash acts as the Sun's Guardian in the underworld, much like Set/Sutekh does for the Solar Bark.

Then there's Shargash's association with Tolat, the god of war AND male fertility/virility, and who is considered the twin of the Blue Moon, which in Peloria is associated with Verithurusa, as @Eff mentions. We can arguably say that Pelorian Shargash shed the fertility and virility aspects over to his son(-aspect) Alkor, and then more purely cultivated a war-death ideal, but the connection to the Moon is a potent mystery, I think. Especially since he's credited with destroying old Mernita, I think.

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Dendara has a write-up in the forthcoming Cults of Glorantha, I believe.

Her Runes are Fertility, Earth, Harmony.

Hm... If this indeed is correct, then my tentative association of Dendara as a "domesticated" Dara Happan version of Ernalda might not be entirely off the mark, though I'm not sure if I like that. There are other, more interesting paths to follow, imho.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Hm... If this indeed is correct, then my tentative association of Dendara as a "domesticated" Dara Happan version of Ernalda might not be entirely off the mark, though I'm not sure if I like that. There are other, more interesting paths to follow, imho.

Derived from a draft document. Subject to change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

i'm dissatisfied with her being Earth only because the story of the Rebel Gods is of the Earth goddess rebelling and leaving. I'd be happier if she was some other kind of elemental deity.

Who else better to find out who she really is? Put it all together and she rises.

singer sing me a given

16 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Who else better to find out who she really is? Put it all together and she rises.

I thought she was connected to Water like Oslira. After all, her holy day with Entekos is a rainmaking ceremony and Entekos "the Right Air God" is not a Water deity but probably Umath's eldest child, Serenha, the Calm Middle Air, not exactly what you associate with rainmaking. *cough* @Jeff I don't mean to rainmake on your parade but buddy don't break our hearts

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I thought she was connected to Water like Oslira. After all, her holy day with Entekos is a rainmaking ceremony and Entekos "the Right Air God" is not a Water deity but probably Umath's eldest child, Serenha, the Calm Middle Air, not exactly what you associate with rainmaking.

I have my thoughts but they don't matter. Your quest is what will count with her.

I will say though that rain in Peloria and rain where she comes from may follow very different dynamics, for what that might be worth. Where she is from might not even have the same elements that rule modern Central Genertela, to follow your Six Gender Structure.

• Confused 1

singer sing me a given

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

There are some who will be ready to tell you that actually the West was developed first - but that was a very, very long time ago.

Ninjaed again... 😥

11 hours ago, None said:

I don't want to accuse anyone (well I supose that 'one' is Greg) but it's probably because Orlanth and Ernalda is likely to have been designed first with everything else built around them.

The first appearance of Ernalda in print seems to be Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha - Gods of Earth (now part of the Sourcebook). There are numerous land goddesses in Greg's western stories, like Britha, Seshna, Kala, or Vadela.

11 hours ago, None said:

I've seen it happen before and done it myself where you give too much to your first creations and end up limiting everything else.  Even if you don't mean to.

Greg may be guilty of that... if you look at the Malkioni genealogies, you will find mortal demigods marrying goddesses (for lack of other females) by the dozen. Females are so rare that the daughters of Malkion (Menena and Eule) married their brothers (Horal and Talar). Even so, Malkion (at least a demigod himself) had several goddesses and demigoddesses as wives, like Phlia (mother to the higher caste sons, the aforementioned daughters, and Horal) - a tilnta or fertility/love nymph, Kala (mother of Dromal) - a land or mountain goddess in Brithos, and Waertag's mother Jeleka, another Wartain tribe niiad.

Women are mainly good as wives, damsels in distress, seductresses, or crones.

11 hours ago, None said:

I mean, the orlanthi has what? Half of all rune owning gods in the whole setting?

To be fair, Issaries, LM, Eurmal, Chalana Arroy and Humakt are far more universal than just limited to Orlanth. Having Mastakos is overkill, but then Orlanth is grandson of Larnste and would be a likely heir if not for his paternal heritage of Storm.

Yelm used to have all the rune owners (except for Umath) in his celestial pantheon.

Rune ownership has few in-game consequences, other than for Resurrection and Sever Spirit as resuable spells. And Chalana is part of the Yelm pantheon, and Humakt is the Carmanian death god, too. (Though wasp-headed there.)

The Malkioni don't have gods. But they have all the runes, all the rune gods, as false gods in their myths, with sorcery to contact and in case of doubt command them.

Dendara being an enigma:

11 hours ago, None said:

Yes I know and I concider her far to important to be one. I haven't been able to find out anytyhing about her cult(s), what powers they have, or Hero Quests, or anything

My first encounter with Dendara was in the RQ DeLuxe booklet Introduction to Glorantha where Ernalda was given as the sample cult, with Dendara as a light contrast to give Yelm's wife next to Orlanth's. That slightly shortened long cult write-up is fairly good, but it is missing from the Cults Compendium.

So what is Dendara? She is a celestial deity of lower origin, sharing her planetary representation with Entekos. Hers isn't a dominant elemental connection.

How much is Entekos Dendara, and vice versa? In a way, Dendara is "Earth in the Sky", while Entekos is the Middle Air and the body of Dendara.

Entekos is not Sedenya. That's the TL:DR of the Entekosiad. Plentonius names Sedenya as the False Sun Goddess, and condemns her (but then he is oh so virtuous in his condemnations).

The celestial rune for Entekos is a fragmented square reassembled into a plus inscribe into a circle (or Light Rune). Earth in Sky. No sign of a spiral or movement, only her (absence of) legs on Gods Wall indicate any air properties. (This combination of runes is close to what Umath was born from, though. Earth and Sky in a single glyph might well be the Dara Happan approximation for Storm or Air.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Shargash: two deities in one, IMO. The Green God of Alkoth was a strongman and fertility bringer. If you look at the location of Alkoth, I doubt very strongly that the wetlands around the city had demand for slashand-burn agriculture. As Tolat on Trowjang, he finds the conditions to be the patron of slash and burn, and probably for the Zaranistangi, too, but the Zaranstangi held sway over some of the rice-growing regions, too (Melib, Teshnos, Ralios) and appear to have avoided the dry farming lands in between.

Much like Orlanth, Shargash has a feat as regulator of the wild river, as water manager, and in his case, that's an essential for the rice farming that dominates Henjarl and the immediate surroundins of Alkoth.

His initial resistance against Umath was passive-aggressive, bracing for the impact. After throwing Umath off his original course, he began to exchange missiles with the invader. Then both he and Umath crash into the ground and continue into the Underworld.

In the Underworld, Shargash adopts the traits of Shadzor. Or possibly is hollowed out and entered by Shadzor, creating something very different from a celestial son (or daughter) of Yelm. Verithurus is another celestial daughter of Yelm turning red from this experience, also from interaction with Umath (getting pregnant). These sons occupied opposite positions around Raibanth, and in the Darkness (according to Yelmic time, 30K years later) they re-appeared reborn as twins to Dark Dendara.

Another name for Alkoth is Hellgate, but when exactly did this Hellgate manifest, and was Shargash's armring a plug?

Hell has little business being connected to the Surface World of the Golden Age, at least not before Shargash's Underworld experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:39 PM, None said:

Purity? What's that even supposed to mean?

Purity is about avoiding worldly and spiritual contamination and adulteration.  Purity can somewhat be defined by its opposites i.e. what it is not.  Dishonesty, corruption, lewdness, profanity, impiety, and discourtesy are all things a pure person will avoid doing.  Purity is often associated with asceticism and innocence.

3 hours ago, scott-martin said:

Does Pamaltelan astronomy tell us anything crucial about the Dendara? That stuff is fairly opaque but also provides a non-Yelmic perspective on her planetary personage and maybe other aspects.

KataMoripi is a Pelorian or Pelandan name for the Sky Witch Enjata Mo, so I assume that Dark Dendara had a role to play in Peloria, too. How much this is tied to Entekos is yet another question.